Word dyslexia

Does anyone else have problems with getting words backwards or opposite? For example, I'll be talking to someone and want to say "tomorrow" and say "yesterday" instead. Or describe something as "orange" but really meant to say "yellow".

I have had this problem my whole life (51). Usually with dyslexia you have problems with reading, other than attention issues I do not seem to have a hard time reading. I do have disgraphia, and it affects both my speech and my writing in the way you have described. You may want to do some research on disgraphia or dysgraphia, I am not sure what the correct spelling of it is and I can not seem to find it in my dictionary. This has plauged me my whole life. Some people do have both.

I had alot of problems with subjects like math in school.
I was never tested for dyslexia.
I can forget in mid sentence what I was talking about.
I can’t type with both hands.I do better with one finger.I have my tablet set to make
noise when I enter things seems to help.I never liked to read.I can’t retain it.
I have to go back and fix most of my words.I either hit the wrong letters or put them in the wrong order.
I have lots of trouble with a calculator.
One factory job I had there was a machine you had to put two parts together and then put it in
the moving machine.The machine went right to left nonstop. I got by but it was the hardest thing I had to do.
Lots of things I find difficult.

Ok, I really thought I was so alone on this one! I've never been great at Math, reading outloud, or spelling anyway but it's gotten worse over the years. (51)

I was diagnosed having Ataxia, but I really have wondered if I have fibro but since I wasn't tested for it as of yet I don't know. So I find this very very interesting!

Can I ask what testing someone goes through to find out?

Get to a rheumatologist.
They touch tender points on your body.
It will not show up in a blood test or xrays.
From there they might send you to somone who works with fibro patients.
It depends.Most doctors do not knpw what to do with it.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll do that! :0)
irishroots said:

Get to a rheumatologist.
They touch tender points on your body.
It will not show up in a blood test or xrays.
From there they might send you to somone who works with fibro patients.
It depends.Most doctors do not knpw what to do with it.
Hope this helps.

Oh my!!! I have this problem all the time. I've always been great at speaking and would speak publicly for my job all the time...then suddenly I would lose my words in my mind. I started stuttering somewhat and it's the same when I'm writing. My sister has started finishing my sentences for me which infuriates me to no end. I've always had trouble transposing my letters when writing and sometimes writing my b's and d's backwards. Being that I was hurt on the job I have to go to the doctor they assign me which is a pain management doctor (rolling eyes). No need in even mentioning this to him he'll just look at me and ask "...and you think falling down the steps caused you to lose your words?"

I started doing this after I started using Topamax.

Yes! Topomax destroyed my speech. I began to stutter, mixed up my words (transposed them), forgot names and directions, among so many other things. If you are on it, that's probably what is going on...or it could be a really bad case of Fibrofog.

tricky123 said:

I started doing this after I started using Topamax.

I too have that problem have had for years and until I read this did not associate with my fibro or the topamax and I have been on it for years gives me anothe thing to add to list for the doctor.

hugs kisses and prayers to all

Pat

Yes I have had the problems you mentioned my whole life (51). Most people will do these things a little, when it starts to affect your writing it is called dysgraphia. The trademark of dysgraphia is horrid hand writing, anybody with disgraphia will have bad hand writing. If you have bad handwriting and these problems also show up in your writing as well as your speach the chances are you have dysgraphia. I fight this every day. I would be glad to explain my battle with it if you are interested, but right know I am running short on time. I am not sure of the correct spelling but if you look up learning disabilities you will find out more about it. To this day I have to stop and think about which side of the leg do I draw the loop for a b or a d. I t is very common for me to address my wife as “beer instead of dear”. Send me a message if this did not answer your question or if you would like to hear more about it. I will be praying for you.

I have this problem too. I figure it’s part of the fibro fog. I’m dyslexic also, but I had my brain untrained I guess in like 2nd grade. I’ve not had a problem with it since then except when reading alowed I get all nerviouse and stumble over words. But lately I kinda feel like I say things backward, or put wrong words, that make no sence. Like in my head I’m thinking say my favoret color is red, but it will come my favoret color is bed. Or I’ve noticed I sometimes here thing backward. My husband will tell me don’t wash my shirt. Then I wash his shirt and say I was that shirt you wanted me to. He’ll say I said don’t wash it.