Tips on Preventing the Push/Crash Cycle of Fatigue

I found this a helpful article with tips on how to prevent the cycle we fall into in regards to fatigue common in CFS and I believe, Fibro, as well. There are some paragraphs specific to CFS, but the bulk of the article is pertinent to both illnesses.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-discussions/general-support/10636270-tips-to-prevent-the-push-crash-cycle-of-cfs

Tips to Prevent the Push Crash Cycle of CFS
-Cathy Gariety
As posted on mdjunction.com forums

When this disease first hit me, it was difficult to accept that I was unable to physically push myself out of it. You have to push yourself occasionally to accomplish what needs to be done that day, right? It’s how we get things done when we’re not feeling up to par. Even though this “fatigue” was more intense than anything I had experienced before, I couldn’t accept that I had limits. I thought I would feel better with exercise and instead, I crashed. I was in bed for months unable to make a sandwich or get a drink of water without great difficulty. I literally had to choose between going to the bathroom or eating and drinking. A shower was out of the question.
When I could finally sit up for a few minutes, I researched fatigue and weakness on the internet. It took me all day by spending five minutes every few hours at the computer at the exclusion of anything else. Within a few weeks, I could spend a few more minutes at a time in an upright position. Finally I read about pacing and thought it might work for me. It has and it might work for you also.

What is required to manage this disease is completely different from anything you’ve used to manage illness in the past. You simply cannot rely on your current known coping mechanisms to manage Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

You have an energy level that you cannot push beyond. This is one of the hardest issues to accept because everything you’re taught in this fitness oriented society is that exercise will make you well. Not so with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

As a nurse, I would advise you to rest beginning with the first feelings of fatigue, even before diagnosis. The reason I say this is because the prognosis for CFS depends on how you manage it in the first few months of the disease. If you obtain enough rest initially and prevent the up and down cycle, there is less disability further down the road.

Another issue is expectations. This isn’t a disease with a miracle cure and progress is measured in minutes, sometimes seconds. One repetition or activity, not two.

Months later, I’m still measuring my activity in minutes. You’ll see progress but it will be at a slower rate than you’ve previously experienced.

Important Points to Consider

First, let me say that you and your health care provider are the final authority on your situation. If this information is at odds with what he advises, his advice should take priority. Your health is too important to compromise.

The Energy Envelope

There are three parts to your envelope: available energy, expended energy and symptoms. Living within your envelope will prevent the push/crash cycle and in time, you’ll be able to increase your level of functioning.

Finding Your Limits

You’ll find as you live with this illness that every aspect of living is involved. Activity, conversation, intellectual stimulation and emotional state all have a bearing on your energy envelope. Follow the links in the related stories to learn more. There are also a few examples of worksheets you can use to define yours.

Pacing for CFS/ME

Pacing begins with understanding your energy envelope, respecting your limits and finding your baseline.

Your baseline is the starting point activity level that you can maintain all day without causing your symptoms to increase.

You’ll need to establish a baseline for each activity you engage in. The trick is to limit that activity to 75% of what you think you can comfortably do. Some people limit it to 50%. This program is individualized and controlled by you. Just remember to live within your present capabilities, not predetermined, pre illness ideals.

Frequent rest periods are essential. Listen to your body signals, it will tell you when to rest. This takes practice because we’ve thrown out the old attitudes and are learning new limits. Allow yourself a few weeks to be able to recognize them.

Think: activity/rest, activity/rest, activity/rest. Slowly you’ll see your activity levels increase with fewer rest periods.

Another coping mechanism that I found helpful is to alternate activities. Alternate so that you are using different muscle groups, allowing enough time in between for rest of the previous muscle group.

You may need to alternate physical activity with intellectual stimulation. Emotional and social activity, think right brain, left brain. By paying attention to your body, you’ll recognize when you’re reaching your limit.

For example, while writing this article, I’ve alternated with doing dishes. I’ve also taken a rest period to recharge my batteries.

By understanding your envelope, respecting your limits and using pacing, your prognosis is much better. You’ll end the push/crash cycle and accomplish more.

1 Like

Hello BB,

Great article, thanks for posting. It absolutely is relevant for FM too. This is how I live my life, so I know it works for me. It's the new normal!

Hi BB,

I have not been on in awhile due to computer issues. I also have to pace myself. Some days are easier than others! I have had to seriously cut back on my activities. Seven though I resent having to do that it is worth it in the end.

Jackie S