Fibromyalgia Awareness: My "coming out" on Facebook

So this is just a thing I posted on my facebook today, but I wanted to share it with all of you as well. Let me know what you think. I also plan on furthering my thoughts on the matter a little at a time throughout the rest of the month, with pictures, clips, more writing I don't know what else exactly. So if you have any suggestions feel free to give them. This is really scary for me so if you wouldn't mind also lending me support I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you all for being here. I am so very grateful to have this as my second (maybe third) home!

So this is where I am, I have this disease that I've tried to ignore. But its working its way out of me. This is Fibromyalgia. This is pain.

I want you all to know that this is real. And although I've been conditioned to feel I should dismiss it and sometimes I do, doesn't make it any less of an obstacle.

With turning 26 today the realization that I'm not getting any younger is clearly coming to light. And with that I am fully aware that I can't hide from this any longer.

It also happens that this month (May) is not only my birthday month but is also Fibromyalgia awareness month, so I thought what better time to share this part of my life with all of you. And it is just that... part of my life. I live with this every day, and though it sounds cliche' some days are better than others. There are days when I can't walk, I can feel legitimately ill for months at a time, like a bad flu that wont go away. Though I might not technically be "sick" the symptoms are the same. Sometimes I feel like it's killing me, and to be honest sometimes I wish it were.I truly would like to appologies to all the so many people I've blown off these past years. I can't be there as often as I wish I could be. I try to be. I want to be. But my body is always fighting against me. I hope that you all are willing to accept this to the best of your ability and forgive my limitations.I love you all, and I want you to know, I want to be there with you. And I'm not giving up. But that doesn't mean I'll always be able to succeed.

290-10255207_10152001296166433_3415641130209226319_n.jpg (17.2 KB) 291-81866fd8e617994dfe8d6929a6b8b47d1.jpg (21.3 KB)

My Dear Serenity . I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
I’m not on FB anymore due to the same reason you mentioned above. I felt like I just couldn’t keep up with all of the replies and this left me feeling guilty and I feared I was offending people that I had known for years. I consider opening a new account every once in awhile when I’m feeling lonley…

It takes an enormous amount of courage to do what you did SO BRAVO my dear. I think you did a great job with your message and your TRUE friends, I’m sure will appreciate your explaination.

Thank you for speaking out. The best of luck to you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You’ve given yourself a great gift by being honest with your friends and hopefully the freedom of letting go of guilt.

((((HUGS))))

Carolyn

Powerful words and directly from the heart. Congratulations on both your birthday and your voice.

I think what you said is an amazing gift to give to yourself and others.

Enjoy your day.

This is so well said and speaks my thoughts exactly. I, too, found it difficult coming to terms with this illness. Now that I’ve accepted it I’m hopeful I can move forward, doing what I’m able and not feeling guilty when I’m not. With your permission, I would like to make you a Facebook friend so I can continue to follow your journey.

This is really terrific. Thank you for getting word out for all of us in such a personal touching way.

Be well:)

Laurie

Thank you :)
And you may absolutely add me on Facebook, just if you can and remember send me a little note letting me know where I know you from.

That goes for anybody on here I am so grateful for all of your support, understanding, and compassion and would invite everyone of you to be my friend.
My name is the same and I have a purple picture with my son, husband and myself looking into a fountain. Hope to see you all there.

Thank you all for your supportive and empowering replies. And for your congrats on my birthday :) I've always seen birthdays as an accomplishment, just being able to endure another year ya know?

You got bigger balls than me so far my mother in law, my mother, and my husband and my children know .. everyone else knows im sick they just dont realize what it means to be "Sick with fibromyalgia" i think in part its my fault because i'll push past my limitations even when my mind and body cry out to stop before i break something and suck it up and plaster that smile to hide ill "walk' as slow as i can without catching attention by clinging to things too hard even while it feels like something might break if i take another step i just take a deep breath and grit my teeth and cause my self more pain knowing ill spend days in bed for it later .. because Im scared that I'll look up if i stumble or show them and ill see is concern and ill suck the happiness of get togethers so while i hurt ill stick close to gramma and well hold each other up and walk slow.. Everyone already thinks im just tuning them out when i fog out on them anyways its easier this way.. when they ask I answer but i think they think im being sarcastic but i am not i just dont wanna see pity .

Serenity this was very good and heart warming Happy Birthday you did a wonderful job with you FB post

Happy Birthday,

If I could only do the same. I just recently disabled my fb page. For some reason when I try to get on that site I can't find a single person to talk to. Is there a face book page for this web site?

Stay positive, and keep on fighting !!!

I have asked to be your friend on FB, just letting you know! M

I have fibro to always in pain doctors know nothing there were so many nobody knows how treat the pain they see you once then dumb you.sherri

sure I don't know if I got the request sorry send me another one thanks

I have been accepting friend requests on my Facebook. I'm not sure if you are one of them or not. I don't have anyone in my friends with name Luna but maybe you use a different name on Facebook?
I would love to be friends with you... you could also friend me on here (anyone) and message me your Facebook name so I could add you if that makes it easier? But thank you ... hope to talk to you again soon.

There is a Facebook page for this site. I am following it. But I know how you feel about not having anyone to talk to I often just come on here to fill my need for connection. But I'm on Facebook more often I don't know why...
thank you for reading my message and for the encouraging words :)

Thank you everyone! This site feels like a safe haven to me. I love knowing I have a place where I can talk about my struggles, feelings, and just my life with Fibromyalgia. And you will not only listen but understand, care and support! I love you all!!! I can never express how grateful I am for all the kindness you have shown me. :)