Food and fibro

Does anyone notice a difference in symptoms …better or worse…with certain foods?

Great topic Leslie! I don't notice a difference, but I have a lousy diet. I tend to look for comfort food when I don't feel good, which is probably the worst thing I could do. I see many Fibro patients are going Gluten-free, and having wonderful results, I just haven't built up enough dedication to try it. I'd love to hear more from everyone about what foods affect them too!

Weather is my biggest enemy!

I am gluten free (really not that bad). There is alot of gluten free food choices in the food stores these days and many restaurants are adding gluten free options to their menu. I do find I feel better being gluten free. I am also almost all dairy free (except for cheese on occasion). Drinking almond milk instead. For me, I think diet has made a difference. My family is going less processed foods and more healthy options and lots of water.

Hi Leslie! I'm Lori. I've recently gone gluten free due to stomach problems, bloating/pain, lethargy. It's hard finding foods to eat, some days I just don't want to eat anything....except my coffee/organic cream/Agave!!! And eggs! I'm probably allergic to all of it! lol! Oh well!

great decisions Leslie! I'm not a milk drinker, nor a cereal eater, but I figured I might as well try something different, so I tried almond milk with g-f cereal...works great, but I'm hungry about 2 hrs later! lol! Oy! It's always something! Any meats we eat have no anti-biotics, nitrates, processed. All helps! But I will NOT GIVE UP PIZZA 1/month!

Hi Leslie, I am about 50% Gluten free, but more importantly I started to avoid sugar… Tried the anti-inflammation diet . Sugar is soooo bad for us ! The almond milk is good, sugar free, what I have noticed is I can taste sugar in things that say they are sugar free, when I look close, the other ingredients high fructose corn syrup is often hidden in things that say no sugar. I don’t know if the no sugar diet is helping, but the joint pain I started to have after Christmas is gone … So while I have changed my diet … It’s not perfect, I only eat organic, fresh turkey & chicken, no hormones used, & occasionally grass fed beef. Most of my diet is steamed veggies, nuts, salad, 2 fruits a day. I gave up bread all together , had 1/2 roll at Easter… That’s great for me.
I have also been avoiding nite shade foods… Tomatoes, potatoes… Can’t think right now … Lol fogging :slight_smile:
Hugs & blessings
dee

I notice when I drink my coffee in the morning I have more pain but I cannot give it up yet. I am going to try to start drinking tea to gradually do no caffeine. Sugar is also a major item that makes me flare but I have not been able to give that up either. It is hard to make many changes at once but I do think certain foods definitely cause pain or decrease pain. So soon I will begin changing my diet.

I have a low acid/preservatives diet because of Interstitial Cystitis. I attempted to go gluten free but a LOT of gluten free products have other things in them that I can't have. I'm super sensitive to Citric acid, a lot of fruits, caffiene, etc.

I have found that the more I eat from scratch, the better I feel. I don't buy premade anything anymore, I make everything my self if at all possible, and it's helped a ton. I can't quite go full organic like I'd like, because out here it's way too expensive, but I don't notice a huge difference anyways. I would have a REALLY hard time giving up sugar because all of the fake sugars make me super sick, including things like agave syrup. I have yet to find a natural sweetener that I like. I do avoid HFC whenever I can though, I know that stuff isn't good for you. I have horrid sugar cravings that my doctor told me is likely due to my hypoglycemic tendencies. I can tell in an instant when my blood sugar is crashing. Oddly enough, I've noticed when my blood sugar drops, my Fibro pains increase as well. So many things interlinked.

Hi Leslie. I think it's great that you're gluten free. I'm with Renie. I just can't wrap my head around it. I've started and failed. If I had a coach (ha ha ha) that could help me shop and prepare food I could probably do it. It seems like a lot to think about when we're dealing with pain and cognitive issues. Any helpful websites that you know of?

I used to be a vegetarian, years ago. In my twenties. I was so so healthy. My Mom was vegetarian her whole life, never made a deal out of it, just didn't eat what Dad fixed us for dinner. Mom lived to 87. Dad lived to 92. He never over ate. Rarely ate sweets. Kept very healthy and strong. (Unfortunately I don't share their dna).

I would love to be more disciplined in what I eat. This is a great discussion.

It can be tough to have dietary restrictions. What I have been doing is trying to have a small snack in between meals such as gf rice cakes, an apple or lightly salted almonds and lots of water. I am not sure what area you are from but there are quite a few gf pizza options that I have been able to fine (yes, that is one of my weaknesses as well) :)

Hi Dee,

Yes, sugar is bad for us and it is in so many things. My family is trying very hard to go healthy...so far so good (sometimes hard to get teenagers to eat healthy all the time though). So we do lots of veggies, fruit, chicken, etc. limiting sweets and processed foods the best we can.

I have found gluten free bread and rolls that I think are pretty good. They do have some suger (3grams of sugar in two slices). It is Udi's brand (there is another brand called Rudi's but you want Udi's). I can get it at local markets in Pennsylvania. It is gluten free though...it is what I have if I want bread or a roll. I think they have an online website.

Hope you are feeling well today!

Hi DLP,

Coffee is a weakness for me...I only have one cup daily and I make it with 1/2 decaff and 1/2 caff...reducing the caffiene by half in hopes that I get to all decaff. Green tea is healthy option and would eventually be a good substitute! One day at a time :)

limiting sugars is more difficult. There are so many 'hidden' ingredience in things...it takes me forever to food shop (unless of course I am only getting produce or fruit). I am learning to make more things at home so I know exactly what I am eating...not always easy with busy schedules though!

Hope you are having a good day today!

Wow! you are dealing with quite a few food sensitivities! I do agree though, eating from scratch is the best option since you can better regulate what you eat. I am not really familiar with a low acid diet. What does a typical day look for you food wise?

Guess there is something about 'healthy' eating...you are lucky to have your parents live so long and to spend that extra time with them :)

I can certain give you some suggestions and things I eat, products I prefer, ect. There are also some websites as well. Let me find that information and get back to you :) Do you mind me asking where you live? Would just help in what products might or might not be available to you. Would be more than happy to share what I know and what I do regarding gf :)

:)

I live east of Gresham/Troutdale Oregon. That is where I shop. I'm near Portland, but don't like to drive there if I can avoid it! I suffer from being a ding-a-ling when driving in too much traffic.

Yes, I was very lucky to have my parents so long. We were very close. Thank you.

I have talked with several friends about this factor. Many people often advise me to try going gluten free, or dairy free, etc. I honestly can say that I prefer to lower my intake on carbs, dairy, etc, but not directly because of the Fibro, but simply looking for a healthier, lighter and more fresh approach to eating in general. I agree with SK, no matter what I eat or don't eat, weather continues to be one of my most major players... Overall, I don't doubt everything that we continue to hear raving gluten free and other exclusive changes in peoples diets, however, I do question whether or not those changes also included healthier eating and lifestyle changes overall and such improvements are a result of that too. In my opinion, it is about healthy choices and moderation.

Renie just started a great group entitled "recipes for special diets" for everyone to share recipes.

http://forum.livingwithfibro.org/group/recipes-for-special-diets Join us!

I agree! My whole family is embracing this 'new' lifestyle of healthier options including dairy free and gf. For me, my doctors, chiropractor and PT all recommended I try gf. So I did and I do believe it helps me but everyone is different. I just overall feel better gf and noticed a reduction of symptoms but I noticed a bigger reduction in the severity of symptoms when I went dairy free. It is whatever works for you :)

We started a recipe exchange group if you would like to join...maybe you could post some recipes that are low carb or 'healthy' options for those who aren't necessarily gf or dairy free but are just looking for healthy ideas. I think we are all looking for other ideas to add to our recipe files :)

In many of the markets in the east (Pennsylvania), have a section in our stores that are usually gf and/or organic. I go to these sections to purchase my items. We have Wegmans on the east coast that had really good gf pasta that is not too expensive (it is store brand gf pasta). Renzi also makes gf noodles but they are a bit more expensive. Trader Joes has some very good gf options. They have a frozen gf pizza which is pretty good. I know there is a Trader Joes in Oregon but have no idea if it is near you. Udi's brand bread and rolls are very good and I think you might even be able to purchase items on the Udi's website. Just an FYI...wishbone salad dressings are all gluten free so you can't go wrong with a salad and wishbone dressing. Francesca Rinaldi pasta sauce is gf and lactose free. Get some gf pasta and there you go...gf dinner :)

I will post some of the websites I use as well...hopefully this weekend :)