Strep throat connection

Hello all fellow Fibromyalgia warriors,
I am conducting some personal research and would appreciate as many forum users here ( with difinitive diagnosis of Fibromyalgia) to answer the following questions( Moderators, is this ok?:grimacing:)
1.) Had you had multiple episodes and/or severe episodes of Strep throat BEFORE developing symptoms of FMS?
2.) Were you diagnosed with pleurisy ( and if so, how many times?) before presenting with FMS symptoms or diagnosis of Fibromyalgia?
3.) Are you male or female?

I would be eternally grateful for your feedback and thank you in advance.
:heart:

Hello,
1.) I had many bouts of strep as a kid and young adult.
2.) I had two bouts of pleurisy in the two years prior to my diagnosis.
3.) Female.

1 Like

Thanks, Zananne1.
EXACTLY my prior history. Hoping more people will respond

I am male and have had nothing you asked before being diagnosed.

1 Like

I’m a 65 -year-old woman diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 10 years ago. As a kid I missed a lot of school due to strep throat. Never had pleurisy. Good luck with your research!

Thanks so much!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours :slightly_smiling_face:

Fibro since 1999 - no to the first two and female.

Thank you for replying, witsend!

Female 61 years old, diagnosed 2017 after > 10 years of various problems.

Many strep throats, bronchitis, and pleurisy from childhood and continuing until now. Many chest xrays, many throat cultures, and so many antibiotics that i am now allergic to 6.

Good luck with your research. ra​:turtle::slight_smile:

I find this line of thinking interesting as it’s already well known that untreated strep may cause heart valve failure as well as whole-body infammation:

A rare but potentially life-threatening disease, rheumatic fever is a complication of untreated strep throat caused by bacteria called group A streptococcus. However, the greatest danger from the disease is the damage it can do to the heart.

Rheumatic fever is caused by a bacterium called group A Streptococcus . This bacterium causes strep throat or, in a small percentage of people, scarlet fever. It’s an inflammatory disorder.

Rheumatic fever causes the body to attack its own tissues. This reaction causes widespread inflammation throughout the body, which is the basis for all symptoms of rheumatic fever.

azurelle

Hi, I believe I had frequent sore throats as a child but unsure if it was strep. No hx of pleurisy. I’m a 55 yr old female.

Thank you so much for replying and sharing this information. Sending prayers of healing!!

It’s true, as you wrote; about Strep untreated and it’s link to heart disease, in fact a dear friend at the tender age of 38 had exactly that. She required a mitral valve replacement and her Doctors traced the problem back to Strep A.

She does not have FMS, incidentally.

Thanks! I hope to hear from more people who may share the links I’m convinced preceded my own diagnosis.

No to the first 2, male

Hi, No to the first 2 questions and I’m female.

1 Like

Good morning. I am a 60 year old female who has had strep throat several times (I taught young children for 30 years and I was exposed to many things!) and in college I had mononucleosis. I think Strep is a big deal. I think (as much as my doctors have belittled this idea) that Epstein
Barr virus is a big deal and I do realize we have all been exposed to those all of our lives, but that does not render them “harmless”. Thank you for asking the question.

Yes, I had strep throat multiple times but not since age 30 and now 61. I had pleurisy twice, last one 10 yrs ago. Fibro symptoms started 5 yrs ago. Interesting connection??

1 Like

Thank you Liza, and yes; I am more and more convinced of these connections.

I did not get strep throat as a child but got a very bad case of it before I had symptoms. However, I was eventually diagnosed with CFS. After a second bad bout of strep 10 years later, my symptoms increased and I was diagnosed with FM. No pleurisy. Female.

Thank you Candy. I wish you good health!