The Science of Fibromyalgia (CSS)

Continuing the discussion from Studies Jan/Feb 2021: 1) Overview, 2) Eyes, 3) PTs, 4) Genes, 5) Youtube:

This article from 2011, but helps me understand better how the hypothesis of CSS, central sensitization syndrome (or central sensitivity syndrome), as the main mechanism of fibromyalgia, is supposed to work:

Hyperalgesia (pain amplification), allodynia (even touching is painful), acute pain can still come extra of course. The hypothesis may not be good, but it is the best we have as yet. It won’t nec. apply to everyone.
Others are SFN (small fibre neuropathy) or neuroinflammatory/autommmune, ATP/mitochondria.

CSS might also account for brain fog, drowsiness as a result of bad sleep, perhaps but not nec. caused by pain.
But I can’t see/find a connection of CSS with the rigidity / stiffness / heaviness / & other problems moving after moving or stretching too much (which may be 1’-3’) or after not moving for a while (10’)
Are people like me without allodynia, hyperalgesia, stimulus oversensitivity or pain intolerance and people like me with problems moving really in the minority?

Ideas
“As to links between other symptoms the connection can be made i.e. the amygdala could be a source of both and the over powering of the cognitive brain could be the source of some of our fibro fog. The hypothalamus is shown to be very active in acute trauma pain but is also involved in sleep.” (Des Quinn, FMA.UK)

1 Like