Was my Fibro dormant before flare-ups?

Hi everyone - I just wanted to say that I was around 32 when I was diagnosed with Fibro. Before this, I was pretty healthy and had no joint pains at all. I have read articles over the years how Fibro can flare-up during stressful times and/or trauma.

I was diagnosed with Fibro during my tumultuous marriage to my ex-husband. The emotional, mental and verbal abuse was awful. I didn't see any of this when I was dating him for a few years. He put on 'quite' the charm during this time. The ugliness came out after our marriage.

During my most stressful times with this man, is when I first started developing pain in my hips. It progressed from there. Being that the Fibro ocurred around this time, is it possible that the stress and trauma I was experiencing then was what STARTED the Fibro?? Or, is it possible that I had Fibro all along, and it was dormant until I started feeling consistently stress out??

As I mentioned above, I went IN to the marriage pretty healthy. When I finally divorced my ex-husband, I got OUT of the marriage with a multitude of medical problems. High blood pressure, Fibro, and Anklylosing Spondylitis (disc problems). At this time I now have Osteoporosis added to everything else.

I also developed 'essential tremors' which occur when I am either traumatized or really stressed out. These tremors are not life-threatening, but once you get them - you have them for life. Laurie

One of the things I found when I was researching Fibro, was that doctors and scientists do not know what causes fibro, but that they believe that stress is a big contributor. I believe that being in stressful situations for the last 10 years, is what finally did it for me. I wasn't paying attention to my health and was paying attention more to my husband and kids, and work.

Hopefully the stress will lessen for you soon.

<3 Melissa

Hi Melissa - thanks for responding. I, too, before my divorce, had worked very hard.....in trying to keep the family together. This was a BIG mistake on my part. But at that time, I was doing what I thought best - and paid dearly for it in the end. Laurie

Melissa said:

One of the things I found when I was researching Fibro, was that doctors and scientists do not know what causes fibro, but that they believe that stress is a big contributor. I believe that being in stressful situations for the last 10 years, is what finally did it for me. I wasn't paying attention to my health and was paying attention more to my husband and kids, and work.

Hopefully the stress will lessen for you soon.

<3 Melissa

Hello Laurie,

This seems to be a fairly common scenario, from what I have read. A lot of stress can be a trigger. Whether you already had it, or it developed as a result of this, I don't know. I myself was in an abusive marriage for 20 years, but this didn't come out til I'd gone thro all the trauma, depression, etc. Much like you, I guess, so p'raps there's something in that. The rheumatologist that I saw, and my doc said it was due to not having restorative sleep - whivh also comes with stress. So who knows?

Take care, Anne

Hi Anne - thanks for responding - Since my 2 kids were born years ago, I have always been a very poor sleeper. I notice that if I don't get enough sleep - I flair up rather easily. Also, SO tired, because I spend most of the night trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in. Before I know it, it's time to get up. When I was working - it was awfully hard to get up in the morning - but I did it and would 'push' myself through the days - big mistake. Laurie

AnneV said:

Hello Laurie,

This seems to be a fairly common scenario, from what I have read. A lot of stress can be a trigger. Whether you already had it, or it developed as a result of this, I don't know. I myself was in an abusive marriage for 20 years, but this didn't come out til I'd gone thro all the trauma, depression, etc. Much like you, I guess, so p'raps there's something in that. The rheumatologist that I saw, and my doc said it was due to not having restorative sleep - whivh also comes with stress. So who knows?

Take care, Anne

Oh my, your story sounds all too familiar. I developed anxiety being married a different man than I married. I look back and see it started the day after we married. After that marriage ended I found my now husband. Unfortunately he came with way to much baggage. I love my husband but I developed colitis and fibro thanks to the ex-wife and his son. I too have osteoarthritis in my neck and disc issues. Yes, too much stress, for too long and the body breaks down. I wouldn't change the life I have now but I do become resentful at times. His son is going to visit over Christmas and I am trying not to stress. I know when he leaves I will be in bed for a day or two. I know the frustration better than anyone and I am so sorry you have to experience it too.

Hello MrsWeatherill,

It sounds like you have experienced similar problems to me. After my abusive marriage I hooked up with a lovely man, but he has a truckload of emotional baggage, including a daughter who won't have anything to do with me. So sometimes I have to accept the stress she will cause and resign myself to bed the next day.

Take care, Anne