What helps you with your Fibro symptoms?

Hi everyone,

I recently got diagnosed with fibromyalgia and after reading through research on the web, I have come to realize that this diagnosis makes a lot of sense for me. I have been dealing with Fibro symptoms for the past 7 years. I am almost 22 years old and in school currently to be an OT. I have a lot of joint pain and muscle pain that I deal with on the daily and it is debilitating and hard to manage. I also struggle with fatigue, poor sleep, and depression and anxiety. I am hoping to hear some of your suggestions for what has helped your pain/symptoms so I can further talk to my doctors about ideas. In particular what has helped with pain (even just a little relief)? Do you experience nausea? (what helps that?) Anything that you do that aids in the constant feeling of exhaustion?

Thank you all in advance,
-K

Welcome to the group K.
I have found massage, rest, eating right and yoga have helped me the most. It took a little while to straighten my meds out because of lupus.
I also buy good shoes and switch them out every other day (I was a nurse). Also a good mattress can work wonders.
Rember to take time for yourself.

2 Likes

Hi @kstudent5 I’m Dave,

I am 35 years old and was diagnosed with Fibro 8 years ago. I have the same symptoms you have. It’s frustrating isn’t it? The fatigue gets to me a lot which causes the depression. My anxiety stems from pre-heart transplant era of my life when I was 14. I saw a sleep doctor for my sleep and found out I have chronic sleep apnea. Even though I have the machine for sleep I still wake up tired and sore. I use to take Tramadol (Ultram) which helped in the beginning along with Lyrica. I am still on Lyrica to this day. If I was to miss a dose, I would be a mess. I am on oxycodone now and that seems to help. I don’t usually experience nausea with my pain medication but I am on plenty of other medications for 2 transplants and stomach surgery from a hernia. I take Zofran for it and it works amazingly. It’s usually the same drug they give you if you’ve ever been nauseous in the hospital. I am in a similar situation with the exhaustion. So far nothing has really helped me except trying to make sure I do some walking. I have a fitbit so I try to focus on having the goal of getting enough exercise. We all know staying stationary is the worst thing for fibromyalgia but it’s difficult to force yourself to do it. I share your pain on that. It’s a constant battle in my brain.

Don’t know if I was helpful but goodluck to you K.

~David

2 Likes

Oh I forgot about yoga!!! I did yoga years ago and it was the best in the world. I need to get back into it. Yoga is super important. I can’t do massage unless its very very very light. Eating right is hard for me. I just injured my foot speaking of shoes lol. Less stress (if possible). Since I don’t work now if I get a little stress my neck and back is the first to tighten up. Good advice @purplebutterfly

2 Likes

I love our jacuzzi tub – it feels so wonderful to float sometimes. I also camp out on the heating pad (with a fan blowing on me) even in summer. Go slowly with building up an exercise routine – seriously, like Grandma Slow, otherwise you’ll over do it, and not try again for weeks or months.

1 Like

Hi K,
Welcome to the site. I have found that a hot shower/heat packs help with pain (especially the headaches, which nothing else seems to help). I also see a physio who uses heat packs, ultra-sound therapy and micro-electric current therapy. It might also be worth exploring whether or not there are good wholistic therapists or acupuncturists in your area, as some people have great results with this (I’m currently looking along these lines myself, but the best person I know for this is two hours away in good traffic and it usually isn’t!)
As to the nausea, which I get a lot of with the headaches and anxiety- I’ve found that Rescue Remedy helps (or bush flower essences for anxiety) or regular peppermints from the supermarket sometimes help.
If you have trouble getting to sleep it is worth looking at the mediation videos on Youtube. The Honest Guys’ channel is amazing and has saved my sanity when it comes to sleep (though I’m always exhausted and teaching kindy doesn’t help there, at least I don’t lie awake for a minimum of 2+ hours every night anymore.) They have specific meditations for dealing with pain too, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.
I’ve also found Tai Chi helpful, though I can only manage very little of the introductory actions at a time and have to build to that. Since I’m not physically able for an hour long class I bought an instructional dvd from ebay, and I’m less self conscious with only my dogs watching, so I relax and enjoy the process.
I’ve had a diagnosis for four years, but have been dealing with this for 14, and I feel I am only just beginning to find things that help. The best advice I have (and I’ve been working with psychologists for years to learn it) is find things you enjoy doing, particularly those that reduce your stress and stick with those. Prioritise ‘me time’- one day I’ll learn to do that.

2 Likes

First i would like to say i was diagnosed 20 years ago. I cannot take most meds so i found new ways. Epsom salt baths and acupuncture. Acupuncture was a blessing and they have clinics which are community acupuncture It is much less expensive. Please make certain if you chose this option to be certain they have a license in your state and please get reviews. I cannot take much in the way of pain meds or anything that assists. I will pray for you that you can locate a good doctor. Many doctors want to point fingers but when they point a finger in your direction they have 3 pointing back at them. I also have hashimoto thyroid issues of which it seems what i have read have most of the same symptoms as fibro.
Many blessings