Another microorganism that may play a role in Fibro

Yesterday a discussion was posted about the possibility that the herpes virus may be involved in the development of fibromyalgia. There is also some discussion in the scientific community that a bacterial organism called mycoplasma may be involved in fibro, with the suggestion that early antibiotic treatment, specifically doxycycline, could be effective in reducing fibro symptoms. In my opinion, the evidence is not yet conclusive, but it is worth paying attention to.

Here are some links to articles about mycoplasma:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12879275

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10691196

http://newsatjama.jama.com/2014/02/06/newly-discovered-protein-helps-mycoplasma-evade-immune-response/

Mycoplasma may be a causative agent not only in fibro but in many other diseases as well, including certain types of cancers as well as other autoimmunes.

Thank you dancermom>

We must have been typing our discussion topics at he same time! Thank you for the links...I can see i have a lot of reading to do today.

My first rheumy actually put some patients on doxcycline long term as he found it helped the fibro and lupus. I was on it for several months and did do much better. He left and my new doctor took me off it. I do belive their could be something to it and the links you posted are great

YaY! Great links! Thanks!

I have even more hopes that something will come out of all the research. I believe the enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy, and these micro bacterial enemies are going to meet their ultimate fate to be gone for good one day. Yes I want to kill these little buggers before they affect anyone else... No I'm not going crazy, just trying to fight them off.... LOL hahaahah

hi i was diagnosed with severe chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome about 25 years ago. i also got cytomegalovirus and later on i got micoplasma infection, i could not stop coughing for one minute. i stayed in the hospital on IV antibiotics and then was on oral antibiotics for quite some time. fortunately that has not happened again thank goodness.

such rough stuff, eh?

huggggggs

suzie

I excitedly called my doctor her response "constantly needing or asking to change medications or to experiment in treatments not proven is a sign of a hyperchondiac, so we are scheduling you for an emergency appointment,for counseling and psychiatric eval on the 9th if you do not show up we will not refill your meds" seems like i might have jumped too high this time lol

skepticals i suppose they dont get it

Oh, dear. It's always hard when you are ahead of the doctors. It helps if you print up articles and bring with you, hand it over, and ask: 'What do you think about this?' Then you can have a conversation without it seeming like you are angling for further treatments...

OMG....ARE YOU SERIOUS??? THAT'S APAULING!

EVENTHOUGH I LOVE MY DOCTOR...THE LAST TIME I WAS IN,SHE TOLD ME I WAS DOING TOO MUCH READING. I STRONGLY DISAGREE...KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!!!

I agree Im shopping for a new one it just so happens its friday today