Falls?

Do many of you have falls? It may be due to my age, I'm just getting used to being 50 (bleckkk). But, I have been having falls and am frequently off balance. I am afraid I look drunk when I am in public. It's very embarrassing. It could be medication I am taking or another nasty fibro symptom. If you have it, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Hi Bubbles,

I think a Dr visit is a very good idea. I have been through the fall and a broken hip with my Mom. She was so healthy she took NO MEDS, it was just a matter of not turning a light on and the thus far 5 month on-going recovery has been absolute hell for both of us.

Personally, I would never have made it through the nursing home confinement, her resilience is amazing. I know that the PT she has had involves working on balance.

Seems so many things go haywire with us and balance is surely one of them.

I certainly hope that you can get some solid answers as well as some successful solutions.

Wishing you health and happiness,

SK

Hi Bubbles,

Yes, I had that problem when I first started on the Lyrica, and it was several months, or even maybe a year, worth of taking falls. Luckily none were serious but the one where my knee gave out on a set of stone stairs, landing me head first into the stone wall was not so pretty. I suspect it may have been the Lyrica, as I was very dizzy on it, but I don't know for sure. I just know that I was kind of buckling to the left and right like a drunken person and occasionally a knee or ankle would give out, letting me tumble down, usually on stairs.

I hope for you that this stops as it's scary! But if it continues, you might wish to consider getting yourself a cane. I got a bunch of them so i always have one handy but I got them in beautiful designs and patterns so they look more like an accessory than a cane. They do help! I still sometimes sway crazily and that old cane keeps me grounded! Oh, and I'm only a year older than you but never thought it was age related as we're not THAT old yet!

You'll probably want to mention this to your doctor. If nothing else, it should be notated in your chart for future reference.

Take care and don't trip!

Hugs,

Pet

Hi Bubbles,

I, as yet!! have not actually had a fall, but I do feel very off balance a lot of the time....generally I put it down to the mix of tablets I take but I do find it gets considerably worse when I'm more anxious, trying to multi-task like I always used to be able to do quite efficiently! or when my brain is fogged.

It generally happens when I'm very tired/fatigued and I've found the only way to settle it down is to take a short nap for about an hour, something that used to drive me mad, having always been a very busy active person, it takes a lot of adjusting to, trying to slow life down in order to manage on a daily basis.

Sadly, I don't have a magic answer for you but I do know how you feel.

Love Lucy xx

I use a cane and fall. I don’t use it in the house and fall. My neurologist told me it was the fibro back in my late 40s. Sometimes I think I’m clumsy. I may go a month and not fall then fall 2-3 x in one day. I wish I knew.

Sounds good.

I have had a few falls and get dizzy/balance problems they are definitely fm symptoms as I had the symptoms long before I started medication. I write this having just had a bad fall I got up to go to the toilet walked around the bed and next thing I am bouncing my head off the wall as I fall. The worst thing is when this happens I cannot protect myself as I fall as I have no control or ability to self correct.i am downstairs now with an ice pack. Very scary