JayCS’s Fibro Blog

2021-06-19, Saturday

Sleep: 10h10, up 5x (1h05) :left_right_arrow: Feeling 90% well, pain 1 of 7 :white_check_mark: (750+0mg GABA)

Sleep details

20:45 Passiflora, 21:00 GABA
21:18-
23:22: 9’ pee/pain 0. thumb. drink. fw 6’
23:47 9’ pee/pain 0, thumb, drink, too hot: 1’-cold shower. Dozing - AuTr 5’
0:24 40’ Cold didn’t help: 6 did. Try to curb more.
3:41 3’ pee/pain 0, thumb, drink, body lotion on itchy right shin
6:50 3’ pee/pain 0, thumb, hungry & dry mouth → drink
-8:33
Next up: GABA? (+750mg??) Not nec.
Sum: 2h42+8h33-(9+9+40+3+3=)64’= 11h15-1h05=10h10, up 5x (1h05)
Wdntve thought I cd gt that far and wake up with eyes that closed without more GABA. The heat? :sun_with_face:
I’m wondering whether I can get using the 3 things that help sleep more into a routine or whether I have to get a feeling for which one is best.

Activities: 3h :left_right_arrow: Feeling 90% well, pain 1 of 7 :white_check_mark:

Table tennis (TT) (and ‘development’): :ping_pong: :ping_pong:

Like other days of late my muscle control started bad today, for 3 games, after that it was good for 2 games, then off and on, so altogether 3 games and 2 1/2 games bad, and “half” a game was enough to lose, so that made losing 5 games.
I’m taking it easier now. I have been watching it for many months now as a measure for how well & able-bodied I am, esp. regarding work. However I’m now seeing that lack of muscle control isn’t that important for my other activities. It is important for cycling in traffic, leg co-ordination on steps etc., but those are more leg things, and in table tennis it’s the arms which are less controlled (but sometimes legs, sometimes all of me, all co-ordination suddenly breaks down for a short time).
(Development:) Now I’ve toned work down to 20% that’s stopping me from overdoing it there, and so I don’t have to watch TT as closely. And at the same time as working less I’m managing to play more (last year I cd only play 4 or 6 games with lots of 3’ breaks and my mate had to pick up the ball all of the time). My life is in more of a balance, stabilizing. OTOH I can’t always manage 2h of grandchild a week or 2h of music production/singing every week. It’s not a question of reducing table tennis as I feel I need it to ‘survive’, for my body, mind and soul, for fresh air and laughter, and leaving it wd not allow me to increase work, grandchild or music anyway. That’s easy to see now, as due to work we never play in the mornings any more, except sometimes at the weekends. So it’s not the case that TT makes it harder for me to do anything else.

Taking it easier at TT means I do sometimes try to put a little bit of energy and strain into it, but neither let my muscles nor my inner stance get taut again which can lead to Ache and needing to rest afterwards, which then isn’t the case any more, whether we play 8 or 10 games.
I expect to lose and can then observe my playing better when I do get points.
For the time being I’ll be counting the games where I have reduced muscle control.

Today it seemed to be happening more when hitting the ball hard, but it also makes it hard for me to use spins.
It tilts the games in one direction/trend for a time. This usually happens with lack of concentration (energy, thoughts) and can be changed by pulling yourself together. Since using more GABA I seem no longer to be able to pull myself together, “it” comes and goes and its own will, no longer at my will.

Activity-details: cycling 1h06, TT 1h10 3:5, shops 40'

Cycling 3+3+5+5+5+5+20+20=1h06…
TT 0:3 → 2:3 → 2:4 → 3:4 → 3:5, 1h10
shops 2x20’

Sitting

Sitting-details: legs stretched out & changing positions spreads the pressure

11:10: “First pain of the day” after 5’ of sitting on a kind of modern armchair. :face_with_monocle: :arrow_forward: half-sitting on floor, legs to the side, leaning on my couch :white_check_mark:
11:50 Sitting on the floor without a pillow, both legs stretched to the front, leant against the couch hurts my coccyx a bit, but not my buttocks.
12:00 This sitting leaning against the couch allows quick changes in position. Now realizing the coccyx is hurting I’ve put my right foot under my left stretched out leg, so now only my right buttock is getting pressure. 12:05 Left foot under right. 12:10 Legs straight.
For eating I realized normal sitting is quickly very painful, inside of 5’, so I adapted the sitting on the floor, by putting my legs up to the chair next to me and regularly changing positions that way, which helped quite a bit. Then it helped :arrow_upper_right: to do a shake-dance after, and :arrow_upper_right: to hold myself up just with my arms and let my spine hang freely.
14:48 Put my laptop on my couch, leaning on there, legs to one side. :white_check_mark:
Bike saddle :x:, altho leather, best when spreading the pressure.
Park bench outside :x:
Deck chair on the balcony :x: - only give if I twist & squirm.

Treatments: 55’ (self) (fw 3h40…)

Effects of !750mg GABA, 3x290mg passiflora: Good sleep/stiffness/energy, so-so TT & pee pain

I was surprised how well sleep went. Pee pain 0, except ~15:00 3 and 20:00 2.

Effects of acupressure: Loins & back good, sitting next to do

Loins great all day, pain 0. Lower back was good tonight. … Sitting is the next big one.

Physio-type self-treatments: 54', fibro-work 3h40...'

:white_check_mark: AuTr 10’, Timing, hunchback-hard-cushion 5’, cold shower 1x(10’), palpate 1’, belly 3’, back 7’, workout 5’, gums 2x30’’, thumbnail 10x30’’, V 2’, twist-stretch 5’, = 54’…
:x: neck 1+ ‘, neck 2 1’, yoga ‘, loins 1’, marionette-hang 1’, breath-hold 11’, shaking dance 1’, RR x2’

Fibro-work: 19:30: 25’, Night: 5x1’=5’ 11:10-12:52: 1h32 14:20: 20’ 15:30-16:20: 50’ +~30’ = 3h40

Development: See TT and sitting.

Abbreviations & explanations

Entries start with night meds & sleep, before activities & treatments, because the “night before” is vital. So Fri-day starts with Thursday night, the night before Friday.

Pain "7" = crying (/out) point; my 1 is others 2-3, and due to pacing/treatments

My wife says my 7 is other people’s 12. 1 is probably 2-3. Due to pacing, keeping work down to 25% (12h/wk) and all my treatments (acupressure, GABA) and physio self-treatments I manage to keep getting my pains & Ache down quickly. 3 usually means the Ache, not pains; these I address individually, often automatically and on the fly now, e.g. twist-stretching everything or something specific after getting up.

TIME DATA, e.g. ' = mins, h = hours, 18:10:40', date YYYY-MM-DD

’ = mins = minutes, ‘’ = secs = seconds, h is hours as time length, 3h is 3 hours long, 3:00 is 3am, 15:00 is 3pm. 18:10:40’ means 40 minutes, starting at 18:10, = 10 minutes past 6pm up to 10 to 7pm. The date is the logical digital standard: YYYY-MM-DD.

SLEEP: slp, w, lbu/LBU, RLS, p, i

slp = sleep; reasons for getting up: w = (a)wake, lbu/LBU: lower back unrest (‘RLS’?), p: pee, i: ideas.

ACTIVITIES: TT, e.g. "5:1"

TT = table tennis, 5:1 = score, usually showing how well I’m feeling: energy, relaxedness & alertness if the first number is much higher than the second.

SELF-TREATMENTS (about everything else...)

The self-treatments listed are only things that I’m spotlighting & rewarding myself for at the mo by counting them; much of what I do at night is self-treatment to get back to sleep or alleviate (1-2h/d), certain regular movements at daytime, like twist-stretching (30’), writing this blog is self-treatment (30’-60’/d), and the further fibro-work is an indirect form.
Self treatments are usually preventative or always have the same positive effect (e.g. cold showering improves Ache and sleep) - at least I do them for that - and I use “:arrow_forward:” to show what I’m doing to alleviate something and mark it off in the details “:white_check_mark:/:x:” whether it works well enough for a time or doesn’t’, e.g. Ache :arrow_forward: cold fast shower “:white_check_mark:
fw = fibro-work, meaning reading and writing this blog, the reference base, on 4 fibro-forums and researching fibro-stuff on the web.
AuTr = Autogenic Training (usually to actively get - back - to sleep, so counting it as sleep and AuTr…),
cold/FCS = Flash Cold Shower (20’’-60’’) , I count it as 10’ tho. At night with ear plugs & all lights off.
breath-hold/WHM-B-H = Wim Hof Method Breath-Holding,
Neck 1 is stretching top right to bottom left, vice versa & sky/ground, neck “1+” is stretching far further diagonally downwards, neck 2 is pressing my head against my hand “without moving”, left right and front.
loins = loins/groin = stretching the ligaments there.
ex = exercises
HWB = Hot water bottle,
RR = bp = blood pressure (Riva Rocci), plus pulse. Used to be normal, plus sometimes white coat syndrome, went up since fibro, seems to have gone down again, but I’m still sort of on meds, candesartan 16mg, instead of 8mg plus lercanidipine, cos I saw that c. has less side effects.
:new: “V” for loins = lie on back, legs up and let legs fall to sides;
:new: twist-stretching more for the loins