Lavender tea and oil

Just got off the phone with a new fibro friend. She and I met through another venue and found out we both suffer from fibro, so we decided to talk on the phone about it....but she's VERY spry and frankly...I was a bit jealous.

Anyhow, she shared with me that traditional "medicine" never helped her...just made her "groggy and stupid" as she called it. Chucking traditional medicine, she sought out an herbalist who tried her on melatonin which also made her groggy and stupid and then on lavender in the form of teas and oils.

Now, I'm a 21 year veteran of fibro and I've NEVER heard of lavender. So......if you use lavender, please let me know how to make this tea! (and how it works for you, of course). :)

I found a way to make it yourself, if you are so inclined: http://www.ehow.com/how_2321725_make-lavender-tea.html

Otherwise, here are some teas with lavender in them, courtesy of Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alav...

I'm wiling to bet that your grocery store carries this item too.

I don't know what kinds of oils your new fibro friend is referring to. Maybe you could call and ask her?

If you get some, please let us know if it helps!

The oils I know....she puts lavender essential oil (not scent oil) in coconut oil and mixes it up then refrigerates it till it hardens. Then she uses it on her painful spots and she said within a few days she felt better than ever. So, since I do other essential oils anyway, I figured that would be pretty easy, although I usually use olive oil as my carrier oil. I'll have to get some coconut oil to use hers.

I've never seen so many lavender teas. I grow lavender myself, but have always used it for hubby's migraines instead of drinking it. I think I'll be trying some of these. This new friend is out of touch for about four weeks right now. She's at her mama's who just had surgery and has neither cell service nor computer abilities till she gets back, which is why I decided to ask here.

I really didn't think much about her saying it till I found out she wasn't around to confirm. Isn't that how it is sometimes? Sort of like "out of sight....suddenly it's very important?" LOL.

Hi VintageHippie! I love lavender oil too. I grow it, but not enough to do much with. This summer my husband and I visited a lavender farm up the road. We could cut and buy the lavender, of which there are so many varieties. I specifically asked her to point to the kinds I could cook with, because I want to use it in breads and things this winter. So there is a difference in the variety you use for scent, soap, etc, and the type you eat. We cut some and it's hanging, dried, in the kitchen. I also purchased some tea in their cute little shop. Here is the link to the farm. It's a wonderful place.

http://www.lavenderfarms.net/hoodriverlavender/index.html

I've used coconut oil for over a year now, for cosmetic reasons. It is suppose to be the most healing thing we can use on our skin. I use it everywhere. It works better for some people than others. It hasn't taken away any brown spots for me, but I don't like sunscreen and allow myself to tan in summer. That may inhibit it's effectiveness some. A friend who is a natural esthetician told me about it.

Now, I'm really interested in mixing the two. Sounds wonderful.

Love lavender,

Kitty

Thanks for the tips Kitty. I wasn't aware there were specific food types. I've only grown just "local" lavender to make a steam for hubby when he gets a migraine. This is the first time I've decided to branch out. I think I'll call Lavender Farms to get the scoop! I'm really excited to give this a try. I've been using tea tree oil and oil of oregano for their "antibacterial" properties this year and have just begun to branch out into making my own tinctures, so this is an excellent jump for me. I've heard coconut oil this and that and figured it may be a trend, but if an esthetician uses it, there MUST be something to it. What brand do you use?

No particular brand. I just buy whatever is most reasonably priced at the grocery store. Usually a Whole Foods type store. Coconut oil is a solid oil. Kind of more like butter.

I think it's exciting what you're doing. Message me when you give it a try. I'm real interested.