Medication for fibro

I am changing insurance and the new company does not cover Lyrica which I have been taking for about one year. I can pay out of pocket but that will cost over $200.00 a month. Can you please comment on some other prescribed medications that help fibro? What works for you? Thanks.

When I used to take meds I found that imipramine worked great altho its an anti depress and muscle relaxer it helped alot. The one medicine I found that works like a charm and I mean completely takes my pain away is over the counter MIDOL, yep for cramps. That stuff and it's caffeine perks me up like no other but may not work for you like it did for me. . .

Does the new insurance only cover generics?

The newer meds are brand name I think but Elavil and Neurontin come in generic form. Might want to see if the doc has coupons or samples of the brand name meds like Cymbalta.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply.

I have Fibro and Endometriosis. I has a complete hyster, so I am in menopause also. Here are my current meds:

Butrans 20ml Patch (for pain) this helps my pain with very few side-effects--makes it easier to function.

Adderall XR 20mg---just started this about 2 weeks ago, works okay. Gives me energy when I need it.

Viibryd 30mg (for depression--just started about 2 weeks ago, has helped a lot--was on Effexor for many years and it had stopped working)

Flexeril 10mg--I take as needed, only when I wake up and I am so stiff I can barely move.

At night, I try not to take anything to sleep, but if I do need something, I take Klonopin 0.5 mg, 1 0r 2 tabs. I also have an RX for Ambien XR, but I have not taken it yet.

I tried Gabapentin and Lyrica, neither worked for me. I felt light headed, confused and it barely touched my pain. The same for Neurontin.

I also take Vitamin D 10,000 IU per day, Cod Liver Oil and Eco-Thyroid. Then, I use a bitter potion from Isagenix called Ionix Supreme at night--it has tons of B vitamins and hormone balancing stuff in it. It helps me a lot.

Thank you so much for your reply. This gives me something to take to my doctor when I see him next. It is very hard to find what works for each of us. We all react to medicines differently. I don't feel the Lyrica does that much for me but I wanted to get some ideas of other meds before talking to my Dr. about it. Do you wear the Butrans patch all the time or as needed? I take Mega Red which is krill oil. I also take Nature Made one a day vitamins made for women over 50. Maybe I should increase the vitamin D. This gives me a lot to talk about on my next appointment. Thanks again, I will let you know how things are going. Take care.

while there r other meds out there that may work if lyrica is helping u than u need to stick with it. u can have your dr write a letter to the insurance company telling them he wants u on this medication. also alot of drug companys offer assistance so u can get ahold of the company yhat makes lyrica and tell them your new insurance wont cover it and see what they will do. they may give u the medication free of charge or offer it to u at a discounted rate. i would try these first b 4 u try switching meds. i hope they will help u to b able tocontinue on lyrica.

Hi Dee,

Gabapentin is also used for nerve pain, in many cases if you try this and cannot take it because of side effects your Insurance will then pay for Lyrica. This is not always the case. Some people do better on the Gabapentin, but you may be able to get assistance from Pfizer to continue with Lyrica.

Be well,

SK