Migraines

Hi everyone, I’m Beth I’m new to this website. I’ve had fibromyalgia for five years now. I have very bad migraines and they last for hours I get then nearly everyday. My doctor only gives me migraleave two tablets a day but they don’t work. Does anybody else have migraines if so can you recommend a drug what helps. Thank you everyone letting me join this support group. Xxxx

Hi Berth,

I have suffered from horrendous debilitating migraines for over 25 years. Mine usually last for four or five days if they go full blown...and I usually have more than 5 full blown migraines a month. Yes, that almost equals the entire month of straight migraine.I have been on several medications for the attacks themselves and a few for the reduction of the number of attacks (prophylaxis). Imitrex was my wonder drug for several years but then became less effective and I ended up having to take it by injection for each attack. My livers eventually also went crazy and I could not take it anymore and since then I have now been taking Zolmatriptan, Zomig. This medication works but like all migraine meds I have tried, it is a hit and miss, when you take it and how bad it may get overall. The only time I have been guaranteed 100% that the medication would be effective was when I had to inject...no fun. For prophylaxis, for me, Inderal helps but still is also a hit and miss daily pill that leaves my already low BP totally tanked. There is one drug that is considered a drug but has more natural origins than a chemistry lab. Caffergot. This is a combination of Ergotamine and Caffeine, proven to work and I have been trying to get my hands back on it in the USA but can't seem to find it available. Even with a written script my pharmacist looked at it and admitted he hadn't seen that med in years! I used to take it while out of the country, where I was able to easily and cheaply get it, but am now on a mission because I know it works for me. Also, it is now said that if you can treat the nausea that comes with the migraine, you can lower the severity of it. I take Zofran for the nausea during the day and Phenergan at night, also known for its sedative side effects, can be a helpful sleep aide. These have been some of my experiences. Keep us posted...I hope this helps you a little.

Thanks for replying to my message. It sounds like you have had a hard time. I’ve just been told I suffer from vertigo due to blocked mastoids and my hearing is going so that could b the course to the migraines. I’m waiting to go back to the hospital to have another hearing test and I’ve been told I will have to wear hearing aids or have grommets fitted. But these migraines when they come there a nightmare to go. I put myself to bed to see if I can sleep them off but then my body hurts then from the fibromyalgia. I’m on morphine and carbomazapine but they don’t take the pain away. Thank you very much for replying to my message. :slight_smile: