Saw the new Rheumy today! Great visit!

Hi everyone - I had posted yesterday that I was due to see a new Doctor today. My appointment was at 9am. OMG!! She was wonderful! I was almost in tears over the fact that for the past 30 years I hadn't been able to see ONE doctor that knew, really, what they were doing. She is kind, gentle and extremely smart. She has been a doctor for just 10 years now, but this told me that she just might be more up-to-date then all the other ones I had seen in the past....and she is!

She said I DO have Fibromyalgia and probably some Arthritis as well. She is 99% sure that I have Oseoarthrits though. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with Neuropathy - but didn't know what kind. After describing to the Doctor what was going on with me, she strongly suspects I have 'Sensory Peripheral Neuropathy.' The nerves outside my brain have been damaged. A shocker to me - the type of Neuropathy I have could be the cause of my balance problems and falling.

She has prescribed physical therapy for me involving Tai Chi. Apparently it's supposed to be a gentle way to fight stress, pain and stiffness. She had asked me if I exercise - I told her I didn't, as it was too painful for me. I am to get blood work and x-rays - and an mri. Also, she said the Tai chi is very low impact and slowly done and would be very beneficial to me.

She hasn't prescribed anything for me yet, until she gets all the results back to her. When she gets the results, her office will call me and schedule another appointment. The rapport I had with the Doctor was amazing! After the visit, I hugged her and she just had a huge smile on her face....me too! Love and Hugs! Laurie

I'm so very glad for you, Laurie! Looks like you've finally found 'your Doctor'!

Hi SK - I feel like I am on drugs or something - I am SO happy and have been smiling every since my Doctor visit! I am just stunned that it took me so many years to finally connect with someone that truly cares and most importantly, LISTENS to what I have to say. She was with me for almost an hour - which I thought was amazing. Most doctors today spend maybe 10 - 20 minutes with their patients. Also, getting a diagnosis for other things that are going on was a relief. Of course, I will find out more after my tests are done and then she will start thinking about what Meds will benefit me. Love, Laurie

I know, it's unreal that it takes us so very long to get to them, that we are in disbelief when we do find them! She may not be able to always spend this amount of time with you, it may be just a first time appointment allowance, but thankfully that time was allowed!

I am so very happy for you! It's been a long time coming!

HI SK - yes, I know that she won't be spending that amount of time with me. I think today was because I am a new patient. Remember I told you about the rude doctor the last time I had a new Rheumy appointment? Well, he spent about 10 minutes with me and that was it. Didn't even look at my chart. Believe it or not - this doctor is right next door to my new one. I told the new Rheumy my experience with him - and although she couldn't say much about it - she slightly shook her head. I am taking a guess she doesn't like him either! LOL Laurie

His type of 'doctoring' give her kind a bad name, you know?

Hi SK - I like the little logo that says, 'Moderator!' Cute! Ang guess what?? You ARE a good moderator. So glad to have met you.

I remember as I sat down in the other doctor's office, I was looking through where the receptionists were - and saw tons of medical files. Most doctor's today have it all on computer. Anyway, after having met him and walking out in tears, I wondered HOW in the world could he have so many patients and treat ME the way he did?? I am sure I am not the only one that dislikes him. Also, as time went one - I discovered a lot of people that knew about him - and their reports on him were horrible. How does he get away with it? Interesting. Laurie

Hi kholmes - thanks so much for responding! I am STILL smiling today. Just so glad to have met a Doctor who has one goal in mind - and that is to help me manage my illnesses and pain. She is SUCH a good listener too. I am not used to a doctor listening to me very often. LOL Laurie

So happy for you, a good doctor is hard to find. I was blessed about two months ago and found a really good doctor. I hope that this doctor will continue to be a blessing to you. Sue

Hi Laurie, I’m am so very happy for you :slight_smile: it make the world of difference when you have the support of a good dr… Keep us updated, I love that she wants to evaluate everything before just giving you meds that are so called textbook treatment, it shows that she is going to actually put some real thought into it, that’s so awesome !!!

Hugs & blessings
dee

Hi Dee - thanks for responding - always love hearing from you! In talking with the new Doctor, I got the feeling that she doesn't always follow the textbook rules strictly.. This I liked about her. She is willing to step out of the 'box' and see everything for what it really is - and then make her decisions. She's sweet and funny too. A lot of Doctors have a 'bedside manner' of a Sloth!! LOL Seriously. They look SO bored when visiting with a patient and always seem to look burned out. My father, before he died, said, ''When I was in medical school, we were always reminded to treat our patients with respect and care. To be kind to them and listen to all they have to say.'' He had told me that the new era of Doctors were not going to be very good - and he was right, sadly. I am just stunned, as I said in my post - how it took almost 31 years for me to find the right doctor. I mean, that's ridiculous!

Living in incredible pain all this time - the wrong Meds sometimes prescribed, the doctors not explaining properly what was going on with me OR misdiagnosing. It goes on and on - doesn't it? Dad would NOT be happy right now! (Smile) Hugs, Laurie

I know exactly what you're talking about Laurie, it takes years, sometimes decades before we are able to find a Doctor who can not only diagnose us, but treat us. Treat us kindly, respectfully, and effectively! It really is NOT asking for too much!

Just think of the accumulated time, money, and suffering that this group of over 2,000 people have had to endure! It's staggering!

He must have a lot of one time patients, Laurie!

Hi SK - I totally understand what you are saying. Time and precious money completely wasted. It so saddens me when I think of all the wonderful people here, who have to work SO hard to be treated and understood. Been there, done that.

Whats' really amazing about this group, SK, is the courageous strength and hope that we carry through everyday to try to make things right among us. The camaraderie we all have towards each other is just wonderful!. I have now been on this website, I think, 8 months now and it seems like I have known everyone for ages. I am so comfortable in posting things and the greatest thing is, the support I get right back. To have something to fall back on when I can be at my absolute lowest is a blessing to me. No one judges me and this I really appreciate the most. Love, Laurie

Oh yes, this group is a huge part of my life! I feel I know you all so very well, keep track of your progress, I care so deeply, feel so protective of you all!

I'll tell you that when these 'spammers' show up trying to sell these so called 'miracle cures/pyramid schemes', we moderators are right there, and let me tell you, 'it's on'!! Our people have been through enough, without that assault!

There are few profiles that we have not read, and we know what everyone goes through, we realize that not everyone can tolerate traditional medicines, but always encourage schooled, trained professionals who see you face to face, as the most qualified and trusted ones to advise supplements. There are just too many factors involved with this condition to take a chance in trusting something mixed up in a kitchen sink, or manufactured with no standards in a third world country.

We moderators and founders do our very best to keep this a safe haven!

Congrats Laurie, she sounds like a keeper !

Renie♥

HI Renie - yes, the doctor is certainly a keeper! Hopefully for years to come. I was so happy all day long yesterday, after seeing her. However, I woke up at 4am - in pain. But the outlook I have now and knowing I am getting tests done and another appointment with her, makes the pain a lot more tolerable. I was always in a fragile state of mind before the visit, worrying about my future with Fibro and other things going on. Also the progression of it all is somewhat frustrating for me. Laurie

How wonderful Laurie! Sometimes just having a care provider validate you is the best medicine EVER! <<>> hugs, Melisa

Laurie, Just KNOWING that she's there, that she takes you seriously, and that she's willing to help you really does make things so much more tolerable. Otherwise we feel lost, that things are hopeless, and we spiral into depression and anxiety that only makes us feel worse.

Did she say anything about 'progression'? The medical information we read all says it's not a progressive disorder, and maybe it's not, but it certainly feels that way. Since Fibromyalgia doesn't cause any "damage" to our bodies, like arthritis for example, I understand why they say it doesn't progress. But what about our mental health? After a while I think we just wear down trying to fight against the pain, so we feel it more because we're just so TIRED of it all. Or maybe the aches and pains I have is old age creeping up on me, just adding to my FMS symptoms!

Hugs!
Renie♥

Hi Renie - no, she didn't mention anything about progression, I don't think. However, I sometimes feel it's getting worse, or now that she feels I have Arthritis in other areas, maybe this pain is what I have been feeling for years along with Fibro.

I really believe though, that when our mental health is at stake and being tired all the time, makes the pain of everything worse. Being I didn't sleep well last night, and got up at 4am, I am in pain today and just want to stay home and be comfortable, weather-wise. It's hot here right now. I also have a bad headache too. That's nothing new! LOL

I will be 64 soon, and I am pretty sure 'old age' (I HATE these words!) is a good part of it too. Pains in the knees are increasing as well.. A funny thing though: when I saw the doctor yesterday, she said that I looked very healthy, despite all I go through. I immediately flashed back to those people that have said to me, ''You look fine, How could you be so sick??'' LOL The doctor said, "you are 64???'' She thought I looked so much younger. Maybe so, but I DO know that inside - I am a bona fide mess!! Love, Laurie