Somewhat excited and anxious all at once

Today I received a letter form disability, They are sending me to a shrink, because they need more info for a decision. Anyone else ever have to go through this? I'm kinda nervous, but I also feel relieved because once I see him, they can make their decision! right?

HI JACKIE NO I HAVNT RECEIVED A LETTER FROM SS TO SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST/PSYCHIATRIST OR TOO SEE A MEDICAL DR MY ATTORNEY THOUGHT IT WOULD HELP TO SEE ONE IT MIGHT HELP THE CASE IT DID IM GOING TO THE HEARING JUNE 19 13 DAYS FROM NOW IM STILL GETTING MY PAPERS TOGETHER TO HAVE SENT TO SS BEFORE THE HEARING ILL BE GLAD WHEN ITS OVER ILL STAY AND TALK TO THE ATTORNEY BEFORE LEAVING WITH MY FRIEND JOAN TO THE CHURCH LADIES. ANNUAL TEA PARTY THEN ILL WAIT FOR THE DECISION GOOD LUCK I SAY PRAYERS FOR EACH OF US EVERYDAY

I haven't applied for disability yet so I caint help much there but I wanted to wish you all the best.

I recently had my hearing but the Judge wants a doctor review my case before he makes a decision, I go back July 17, I suppose he’ll have his decision by then. No one mention seeing a psychiatrist but if they do that’s fine, they will get a ear full LOL.
I certainly hope all goes well for you & for us all, good luck!!

Yep, I had to see one too, and yes, they made a decision about a month later.

The shrink will ask about your medical history and about your past. Any traumas, etc. Will also ask about your job, if you're still working. He'll ask things like, "do you talk to trees and do they answer you?" (to see if a mental illness is present.) He may ask you to memorize a few words, then 10 or 15 minutes later ask if you remember them, and will give you hints. He may ask you things like who is your governor, who is the President, the day of the week, etc., to see your memory level. He may also ask you to do some mental arithmetic. And he'll ask how you are with your daily tasks like dressing, shopping, housework, etc., and if you think you could live on your own.

The entire test took about one hour. And I can't believe I remembered so much about it - it must have been due to nerves!

Good luck on your visit to the shrink. I hope all goes well and you're approved for disability.

Hi Jackie,

This is common, no worries. It's one of the unfortunate hoops we must jump through in the process. And it is one step closer to a determination, so I would feel relieved also!

Good luck,
Renie♥

How long after this type of appointment does it usually take to get a determination?

It really depends on who's desk your file ends up on. Sometimes it's quick, and other times it feels like forever. I think they have a deadline on when they need to give you an answer, so I would check with them on that, and also find out if there is a specific person there you could keep in contact with so you don't get lost in the shuffle.

I just contacted the board and talked directly with my case worker. He told me I would have an answer no later than July 30, and If I didn't to call him! I guess that is good news! Whoo, hoo at least it is a baby step ahead..

I had been to a shrink… He is the one that sent me back to family doc, tell her fibro? My SSDI is still pending, I have received a letter that they want all paperwork to see if we can bypass hearing. I am working with Allsup, they will handle all of that for me. There is NO way I can work.

I debated responding to you... I don't want to make you upset, but what you're talking about is exactly what happened with me. I went to see a psychologist, and he is where my disability claim ended... They didn't send me to any other doctors to get opinions from any physician or neurologist... They sent me to a psychologist. I got there not really knowing why I was going to a psychologist, and figured it had to do with the fact that I'm bi-polar(and added that on my disability claim to help, since I was aware that fibro is not easy to get disability for. I went and he asked me some of the strangest questions. He asked me to remember, "Apple, Table, Clock." When someone asks me to remember something - that is ALL I think about. The entire rest of the "interview," all I was thinking was, "Apple, Table, Clock!" He asked me about history of abuse, he asked me about some physical stuff, but he was trying to make those things mental... For example, he asked me straight up why I couldn't work. I told him, "Because half the time I can't even take care of my self. Sometimes I can't get out of bed and my husband has to help me get to the bathroom." When the shrink asked why, I told him, "Because my back is in such extreme pain half the time that I feel paralyzed, my legs won't bend properly a lot of the time, I can't always walk on my legs because my knees, ankles and shins feel like they are imploding, or crumbling in on themselves, because I am so tired almost all of the time that my body feels really weak, that I drop things because my arms and hands spasm, that I fall because my legs and back give out (and that this has happened on the stairs on multiple occasions and out in public), and that *sometimes* I can't remember what's going on from one minute to the next, usually when I'm in a flare up of my symptoms. I told him that when I'm not having extreme pain/weakness/borderline paralyses, I am vomiting through a good portion of the day and just trying to get my body to keep SOMETHING/ANYTHING down. His response to all of this was, "Do you not get out of bed because you don't feel like it?" Of course, through all of this I remembered those three little words... Apple, Table, Clock. His report stated that I should not receive disability because I can do simple work. I would have had to go to court, and this was during a really long and really bad flare up. I decided that for the time being, I was not going to court because I couldn't handle something like that.

I would recommend - don't remember those three words, if they ask you something like that.

What happened for you, Petunia Girl? What did they decide?

The report from the psychologist must be back in before July 30 I had already been to see the psych and that went ok, or at least I hope it did. I didn't file completely on Fibro, I used my asthma, back injury, bursitis, MS osteoporosis, depression, anxiety disorder, and degenerative disc disease. I hope and pray that what you are saying isn't true, if It is I will go to court. Thank you for the heads up.