Terrible migraine

I was awakened at 3am this morning with a terrible migraine. I have them often but usually I can find a way to deal with them at home. This time I finally had to call my doctor and go get a shot. Still have a headache and the bruised feeling left from it, but thankfully it’s nothing like it was.

I have several severe migraine-attacks this last week and it's seriously killing me. I have to go to school and it's very hard to keep doing this. Can you share your tips to find a way to deal with them? I can't stay home every day...

Unfortunately dealing with them includes staying in a dark quiet room with a cold pack to my head and excedrine migraine helps. Someone told me peppermint oil to the temples helps them, but I tried it and it didn’t help me. My doctor has me on propranolol for my blood pressure and it also helps with migraines. For me it makes the migraine less fierce. They are still very uncomfortable and make my daily functions at home and work only about 50% of my norm but like you said. Can’t stay home everyday.

2 things that help me, 1) Do Not take any more acetaminophen or ibuprofen, have your Nurse put them on your allergies list, because these meds give you rebound migraines.

2) I have been given a 'script for 25mg tab, Hydroxyzine. But as with all things physical sometimes they get rid of the migraines & sometimes it just minimizes them. M

Thanks. I also have excedryne and they work for me, but I'm not allowed to take it more than 3 times a week. I never thought about a cold pack, does that help? I kept myself warm underneath my blankets in the dark. Maybe I can try as well the peppermint. I have it at home but never really tried it. My daily functions at home and at school are like 30% which is really low. I'm fighting only to get in school and then my energy is almost empty. I really hope today was the last one... Can't take this everyday. Do you have a too low or too high blood pressure? Because mine is often too low...

And I'll watch out for ibuprofen, never knew this! I used to take them for my fibro pain but ofcourse they didn't work. Acetaminophen is something I don't know...

I have been getting migraines since I was 5. Back then a hot shower, some coca-cola (for the inevitable nausea) and then a very dark room helped. My nuero put me on preventative meds, Topamax, and prescribed rescue meds. First was imetrex, whiched helped at a low dose, then Maxalt melts, this helps, but tasted aweful. lol I just got taken off the Topamax after many years, sometimes they don't work anymore. Amazingly and knock on wood they have been few and far between, but she put me on Magnesium 400-500mg/day, it seems to be helping and for a rescue Zomig, its a nasal inhaler, that helped very well. The hot showers and coca-cola are still good too. :)

Good Luck

Hi Yarra,

So glad you are feeling better.

Jackie S

Glad you are doing better I know how terrible Migraines are! This morning having one! Going to the Neurologist this morning for checking of carpal tunnel but going to ask him about Topamax. Thanks

I looked up acupressure points when I had my last migraine as NOTHING was helping. The acupressure saved me. Look it up on Pinterest and it will show you what to do.