Traditional Chinese Medicine, TCM

TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) finds and treats connected parts of the body, in this case lines and points of our muscles, fascies and nerves etc.
Basic parts of TCM are herbs (hot teas), acupuncture, cupping therapy, gua sha, massage, (bonesetter,) exercise (qigong), and dietary therapy (cf. wp). I’ll write about those, but:
What has been helping me a lot, more than anything else is a form of (ear) acupressure which is based on the meridian-lines and points of traditional acupuncture, but is a modernized version. Like reflexology on the feet, ear acupressure assumes that points all over the ear lobe reflect the body and that applying pressure (pain) to them will like trigger points affect that region. She also uses acupressure points all over my body. For both she mainly uses small metal rods. The Chinese would maybe laugh about it, but there were at least 4 body treatments that had immediate and long-lasting effect on my hot/cold-system, my leg energy, my breath and need for oxygen and… I forget… Talking to my rehab-psychiatrist about this, he says: This may all not be proven, but there obviously are bodily reactions which are helpful, and the meridian etc. theories may seem old-fashioned because they were developed in and for a different way of thought milleniums ago, but if they help and don’t harm, then they are good.
Shiatsu is a term I know which is an acupressure massage.

Of these hot Chinese herbal teas don’t agree with me, like anything hot, I’ve tried them once. (Fairly sure at least.)
Acupuncture didn’t help first time, but it was done incompetently, so I’m giving it a second chance.
Cupping (assistants of my pain docs tried that) hurt my dry skin more than it helped.
Gua sha (skin scraping) would be bad for my skin too, but doing it gently above and below my eyes with a jar lid seems to get the tear fluid of my dry eyes flowing again, so it stops itching (after warming the eyes/fluid with warmed, cupped hands of my eyes).
Massage: Most massage is harmful for my skin, too, but one type in the rheum./fibro clinic seemed ot hurt, but was OK, connective tissue massage.
Exercise/Qi Gong: Qi Gong balls as hand exercise I’ve used even before fibro, and now do it again after they also used it for fibro in the rheum./fibro clinic. The Qi Gong movements I learnt there were very painful for me, because you had to wave around with your hands, which I can only do for under 30 seconds. But on youtube I saw that you can do it lying down, which is easier for me. That way I realized that just putting my hands up improves the Ache in my hands and arms much quicker than if I just rest.
Dietary therapy: I’ve tried 3 diets aside from my elimination diet for my hyperacidity/IBSD, and now have a fairly stable one. I’m pretty sure many suggestions of TCM-diets do not agree with me. Not sure how a TCM-dietician would see that tho.

1 Like

Rheumatic diseases in China - PubMed 2008: “Fibromyalgia was seldom observed in China.” More research needed. That was 2008.
Acupuncture therapy for fibromyalgia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PubMed 2016: Acupuncture is effective, safe & recommended for pain.
Randomized Controlled Trial of Acupuncture for Women with Fibromyalgia: Group Acupuncture with Traditional Chinese Medicine Diagnosis-Based Point Selection - PubMed 2018: Group (?!) acupuncture too.
Acupuncture for musculoskeletal pain: A meta-analysis and meta-regression of sham-controlled randomized clinical trials - PubMed 2016: Acupuncture may help pain (low evidence).
Massage therapy for fibromyalgia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PubMed 2014: Massage therapy >5w (probably) can help.
Qigong and Fibromyalgia circa 2017 - PubMed 2016: Medium-term Qigong probably helps.
Impact of herbs and dietary supplements in patients with fibromyalgia: A protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PubMed 2020: Study coming up on herbs & supps.
These were amongst the first 10 of 138 search results for “China fibromyalgia” on pubmed, due to the chance finding of reading that FM there wasn’t found much in 2008 (which has probably changed due to more awareness…)

Acupuncture

Well researched & summarized.
First time I’ve seen sfx like my Ache mentioned, altho mine was terrible, sometimes immobilized me. I wrote above that I’d try it again: I had it done again, with a Western doc who was used to treating FM patients and used specific points for that, but it was terrible all the same, tho this time I knew that a cold shower would neutralize it. I’m still up for a Chinese-trained acupuncturist to do it some day, there’s 2 near me.
As there’s quite a bit of evidence for acupuncture it makes sense to not call it ‘complementary’, altho it’s not mainline either.

Yoga

Of course yoga comes from India, not China. This webpage describes how they can easily be integrated because they are based on similar principles.

Here I’ve listed yoga ideas and some types.

Qigong vs. Tai Chi

Qigong plays an important role in training for tai chi. Many tai chi movements are part of qigong practice. The focus of qigong is typically more on health or meditation than martial applications. Internally the main difference is the flow of qi . In qigong, the flow of qi is held at a gate point for a moment to aid the opening and cleansing of the channels. In tai chi, the flow of qi is continuous, thus allowing the development of power by the practitioner.

Equally these forms of exercise are ‘common sense’ as well as having some medical evidence, I’d even argue you could call it ‘mainline’…