Water Therapy has helped with pain

I posted some of this on the open discussion and Starr felt I should also post it here.

I am a 62 year old male who has had Fibro and have continued to search for ways to give me any kind of help beyond medication. I tried water therapy at a clinic but insurance doesn’t pay 100% and it gets pretty costly.

A friend told me that most YMCA offer some Dort of water therapy typically taught by a certified teacher. The program I recently started is taught through the American Arthritic Association. I was amazed just after 3-4 one hour visits how it has helped my mobility. My pain can get so bad that some days if is difficult walking and I occasionally fall. Now that I attend this clas 2-3 times a week I have strengthened my inner core and improved my stability. It has also taken a little off the edge of some of my pain, but still continue to take my medications.

So those of you who have a YMCA near you give them a call. Also, there are a wide range of ages that attend and a wide variety of health issues.

Also, I have lost weight ever since I started going. The group at my Y is great, friendly and has been nice meeting some new people. The schedule is Monday-Wednesday-Friday starting at 10:00 am since most of us struggle in the morning the time slot is great.

Don’t get discouraged and don’t give up, keep searching for whatever it takes to improve your quality of life.
Ron

Thank you Ron for this insight!

I really want to try a water therapy class, but have been struggling to find a time and place in my schedule to do so. Sometimes I opt out to stay in bed.

For the Y programs are they like the water aerobics classes? or is it called something else? I am in a rut and am looking to change up my treatments.

It is actually called Arthritic Water Therapy at my Y.

Ron

Miyo said:

Thank you Ron for this insight!

I really want to try a water therapy class, but have been struggling to find a time and place in my schedule to do so. Sometimes I opt out to stay in bed.

For the Y programs are they like the water aerobics classes? or is it called something else? I am in a rut and am looking to change up my treatments.

Hi, Ron. Thanks for sharing this with us. I have done some water therapy in past. My new dr. has recently recommended a swimming regimen for me starting slow, but at least twice week and working up to 3 x per week. I have moderately high cholesterol as well as weight gain and an increase in pain levels that we thought to manage with cardio. Swimming is a great workout without stressing muscles or joints. I’ll keep everyone here posted on how it goes.

1 Like

BaltimoreBaby,

Good luck on your swimming. It is amazing how fast the time flys by once in the water and how much you can accomplish in a short period of time.

Hi, Ron. Finally found a bathing suit that fits. Lol. And now have first week of swimming under my belt. I really enjoy it. I couldn’t swim for more than a few minutes before needing support of pool, but I am just beginning and muscles are deconditioned, so I’ll keep at it. I am less stiff just after a few workouts. I have some moderate unfamiliar soreness in chest and back (underused muscles), but it’s manageable pain. It’s so nice to feel so light and free in the water. I am excited for the benefits. Very relaxing workout and afterwards I’ve been enjoying the whirlpool.
How’re you doing with your water therapy?
Laurie

2 Likes

I go to my local YMCA they have an Water Arthritic class every day and it really helps.

1 Like