Wraps or braces to help with pain

Hahaha,

I Like that one.

Hi CarolAnn,

It would be interesting to know how any of the suggestions worked out for you.

My brother injured his wrists a few weeks ago and the doctor prescribed Voltaren Gel (diclofenac sodium topical gel). He wore a brace and used this and he thought it was wonderful. Maybe you can ask your doctor about it.

I use wraps and a brace at nightime on my hands; I use heating pad a lot, and I have a built in massager in my recliner with heat, I use it a lot. I also use the heat wraps, icy hot roll ons, freeze ons whatever I have that will ease the pain, so I can get around my home or my home office. Have you ever used the leggings? I use them all year around, they do keep your legs warm. If you can keep the area's that hurt warm, that is half the battle.

My doctor gave me some Voltaren Gel. I think it does help smaller areas. I told my doctor I'd have to rub it all over from head to toe to feel better! I have used it on my legs when they are really bad. Also on my arms. It makes a little bit of difference. Today I wrapped a large Ace bandage around my thigh. I think the support from it made a difference. I'm going to try to wrap my forearm next and see if they help. I'd have to wrap my whole body and make myself into an Ace bandage mummy to get all the painful areas!

LOL

I have the Voltaren gel and tried it on my knees. It seemed to help.

Is it safe to rub all over? There was a dosing card that came with it. I’m afraid to use too much. I know you’re not a dr but how much are you putting on?

CarolAnn,

You are absolutely hilarious. Are you serious?

CarolAnn,

It's interesting to read that the Voltaren gel helps you. I'm happy for you. I wasn't sure it would, because it's strength is only 1.16%, and the prescription cream is either 5 or 10%. Yes I often say I'd have to bath in it, but it does help the worst of the muscle knots and pain when I have to choose the worst spot at the moment.

I don't think it's a good idea to rub it all over your whole body at once. That would be a pretty big dosage of Voltaren all at once, because medicines DO sink into your body through your skin. I'm glad it helps you! This page tells you how much to use (a 2 cm. strip on the sore area 3-4 times a day), and all of the warnings and side effects and mixing with other meds.

http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=5059&rot=4

You can click on the questions at the top and you will be taken right to that answer.

Best wishes, Sheila

It's like you have to chose the most painful spots to apply the gel (or to wrap). My supervisor asked me today where I was painful. I told her that I can guarantee anytime someone asks that question my answer will be" all over my entire body". She should ask-where is the most pain today. I think that's so sad that that's the way of life now.

Thank you, Sheila! :slight_smile:

Surely do hope you can get this figured out, everyone has given you such great info that just goes on and on. It's wonderful to get such a great response.

Hi CarolAnn,

I must sound heartless but I was trying to envision what you were describing. I have had intense pain in areas of my body where I needed supports (metal enforced corsets for the spine, neck collars and wrists braces) but I have not needed them all over at the same time. I am rather sad to realize it was not a joke.

I do have memories of aching all over my body, up and down my spine, nonstop but I never thought of using wraps to that extent. My mother is staying with me and she is in constant pain from a broken leg that never healed well years ago and a bad hip. She jokes about it and we compare ailments and laugh. I like the support here because it takes me out of myself, out of my experiences, to SEE how others cope. I do hope your way of life changes for the better in the near future.

I am/was a wrap/splint queen!! Walmart sells the best at a good price. They are light weight and I was able to work with them on my feet (where no one even knew under my slacks) and on my wrists. . I also used the hand wraps and wrapped lightly. . .I hope you find some that helps.

You can get the elasticized wrist brace at Walgreens. I have short ones. They don't have any metal in them and are flexible. I believe these are called supports and bowlers use them to help them controlthe ball.