Anxiety causing Fibromyalgia?

I want to know more about this heat therapy map please. I have tu use a cane because of mine locking up on me. My shoulder and back are also problems. I take Cymbalta 120 mg, Neuronton 1600 mg, Trazadone 400 mg for sleep, Lidoderm Patches for trigger points, Topamax 500mg for hand tremors, valium for anxiety, Robaxin 750 mg muscle relaxer, Lamotrigine 100 mg bi-polar and depression, and other meds that are for other health problems. You could say I am a walking pharmacy. With insurance, I still pay around $3000 a year. All my doc have reviewed and said they could not cut any.

Being disabled is not fun. Right now I am battling a bacterial infection in my stomach-only exacerbates the fibro and hurts like hades.

But yes Laura, they are.

I am also grateful for Medicare. Please note that you have to be on SSDI for 24 months before you qualify for Medicare. You also either need a Medicare supplement or Medicare Advantage plan or Medicaid to cover expenses not paid by Medicare. And a prescription drug plan is separate. These are not without costs (except Medicaid). You must be below a certain income level to qualify for Medicaid.

If you haven't worked for 12 months -- even if you're still covered by another insurance plan, you can apply for SSDI (in the US). Find a good attorney. You may want to stay away from the ones who advertise on TV - they are not always the best. Find one that has a good track record with winning SSDI for fibro/CFS. Hope this is helpful.

PracticalMystic said:

I, too am on disability completely because of Fibromyalgia. I would advise seeing a disability lawyer from the beginning. They will tell you exactly what you need to do and/or do it for you. They can't charge you upfront and only make a portion of your settlement (back pay) or a modest amount if you win your case. I have been on disability for 11 years. I have since been diagnosed with other issues that confirm the disability status. I am most grateful for Medicare.

I'm on a Medicare Advantage plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I don't qualify for Medicaid because my income is too high - I also get LTD from a plan I had through my employer. It was a battle to get approved for SSDI and I had to fight for several years to get my LTD reinstated because their one doctor (who never saw me) said I wasn't sick enough to be considered disabled. The cost of the Medicare Advantage plan is still less than I would pay if I didn't have it because my prescriptions alone would be over $1,000 a month and it covers all but $100 a month. There are many stories here on the board and I consider myself very blessed to have what I do. I live with my adult daughter who is an insurance agent. She handles all of this and my finances for me. When I won my SSDI the judge said I had to have her do that. She is my greatest blessing though. I feel so sad for those of you who don't have even one person in your life who you can turn to and depend upon. This illness is so disabling in its severe forms. There are so many things I can no longer do for myself now.

Nancy

personallynan said:

Medicare supplements and Medicare Advantage Plans are best if you fall into the "senior" category, otherwise you have to pay a premium. Some of these premiums are quite high as I checked it out during the enrollment period. I was better off just paying the 20% copay for medicare costs than the advantage plan because the cost to me would have been more...especially if I ended up in the hospital. I have had 4 ER visits since August with 3 admits because of low sodium level.

My friend hired a lawyer for SSI appeal and it cost her almost half of what she was awarded to lawyer. Be careful with lawyers...get recommendations and check them out first! I did not need a lawyer...took only about 4 months for my decision for SSDI. I was blessed!

Nan

Nancy M said:

I am also grateful for Medicare. Please note that you have to be on SSDI for 24 months before you qualify for Medicare. You also either need a Medicare supplement or Medicare Advantage plan or Medicaid to cover expenses not paid by Medicare. And a prescription drug plan is separate. These are not without costs (except Medicaid). You must be below a certain income level to qualify for Medicaid.

If you haven't worked for 12 months -- even if you're still covered by another insurance plan, you can apply for SSDI (in the US). Find a good attorney. You may want to stay away from the ones who advertise on TV - they are not always the best. Find one that has a good track record with winning SSDI for fibro/CFS. Hope this is helpful.

PracticalMystic said:

I, too am on disability completely because of Fibromyalgia. I would advise seeing a disability lawyer from the beginning. They will tell you exactly what you need to do and/or do it for you. They can't charge you upfront and only make a portion of your settlement (back pay) or a modest amount if you win your case. I have been on disability for 11 years. I have since been diagnosed with other issues that confirm the disability status. I am most grateful for Medicare.

Another idea to those looking into SSI/SSDI, etc. Is to get an advocate to work with you. They help you fill out the paperwork, go to your appointments with you, basically hold your hand as they are extremely knowledgeable about the whole process. My sister-in-law is a brittle diabetic since age 6, now 50. She finally decided to go for disability, and her daughter got her an advocate. She won her case on the first try.
If you go ALLSUP's website: https://www.allsup.com/site-map.aspx They have almost every resource and bit of information you could possibly need. The nice thing is, they are referred to by several different disability agencies, so they come pretty highly recommended.

yes, I can relate. I take .05 mg. of klonopin a day. I have been on it for 10 years. It really helps. I take it when I need it. I don't abuse it so my tolerance is fine. I have the same problem with muscle clenching. Klonopin helps. I don't suggest it if you have an addictive personality though. Best of luck to you.