Being realistic/Facing reality

I'm new to this group. I just joined today because after trying to tough it out with fibro for years I'm always feeling like I'm a minute away from losing it now. I think it's because it's finally begun to set in that while I'm only 29 there are still many things in life that I'm probably never going to be able to do now, and that it's only going to get worse, not better. I'm terrible about holding things in and I'm pretty much the "therapist" in my family, so I'm trying this out to see if it helps. If nothing else, I'm sure reading everyone else's discussions can't hurt. It's good to be reminded we aren't alone, even though all of us are in a little bit different situation/circumstance.

Wow I bet that is stressful! I'm glad groups like this exist, and I hope to be able to help as much as I'm helped. I've also been through an abusive marriage and divorce, so I hope I'll be able to help anyone else that comes along who's going through or gone through that. Stress and fibro do not mix well!

hi nice to meet your karli. one of the things you just wrote got to me. you said, " there are still many things in life I'm never going to be able to do now and that it's only going to get worse , not better." I like to still dream of getting better, being better, doing things i liked and once did and hoping , praying, thinking, speaking that i will get better and i hold on to those thoughts whether it be by break throughs in medicine./science, thoughts, prayers, miracles or some such entity., lol Projecting only well being and healing, dreaming it and believing it and desiring it to be so. all the best to you.

hugggggggs

suzie

Thank you, and that's a wonderful attitude to have. I'm still working on that myself haha. Hopefully this group will help me be more positive though!

hi again karli . glad you are here with us. and i must tell you that indeed it is a tough journey dealing with illness

and i sure had to do a lot of mental work . already i think you have a wonderful vibe about you with your caring and kind attitude!! i liked what you said on your profile that you would like to be of help to others in addition for support for yourself!! :-) rock on!!!

huggggggggggggggs

Karli, I'm new to this group too. I was just diagnosed with fibro on Friday. I also have an autoimmune and I found out I had that on October 11, 2014. I have my days too where I wanna lose it. I cry all the time because there is nothing else I can do. You aren't alone. It's easier to talk with people going through the same thing than talking with people that have no clue. You can only tell them so much, but they don't feel what we feel. Hang in there.

Hi Karli and welcome!

I like to tell young folks that it's very possible that a cure will be found while you are still young; that, or much better treatment options. Please don't rule things out in your future because you might be able to do them still, just not at the age you'd wish or maybe in a modified manner. Having that hope will mean a lot for you. I stopped having it and would barely get out of bed. A friend of mine really shook up my preconceptions and I've decided to do as much as I can, realistically speaking. It probably doesn't look like much to the outsider but every step that I take down the stairs and out of my house is a step of hope.

I hope you feel free to talk here as well as listen. Being the family therapist is a special job but even therapists sometimes need to talk and confide in others.

You aren't alone, not by a long shot!

Hugs,

Petunia

HI Karli,

Big hugs and welcome to the best Fibro family around (IMHO). The support, knowledge and ideas I have discovered from others here is priceless. Before joining this community I felt very alone, very isolated with no one who could really, and I mean REALLY, understand what it is like to be on the fibro roller-coaster. I have discovered so many wise and experienced people who truly get it, that this place has become somewhat of a sanctuary for me. Just reading the stories, questions and answers makes me feel connected and that is a good thing. Although I was diagnosed over two years ago, I continue to learn so much more about this disease and pick up some really great suggestions in managing some of my symptoms. I am so very pleased at the amount of hope that is generated here, which is so important for us to get through each day. I hope you get to soak up some of it too!!! Yes, we are survivors who may not be able to do the things we used to do in the way we used to do them, but that is okay. Now we do them in a new and improved way or find new things to do. I hope that a cure will be found, but strongly recommend that us Fibro survivors keep engaging in life in the best way we can while we wait. I look forward to getting to know you better.

HUGS

Singingtrees

Karli, I am new to this group as well. I was diagnosed a few month ago but am so glad I found this site. A place where like people meet and “talk it out”. Everything is shared here. The good and the bad. So if someone finds something that works, they post it. And if someone has a bad day, we help each other becasuse only the people here could possibly understand the type of pain and frustration that we suffer. Not just physically but mentally. Fibro is relentless and please know that we will be here for you if you need us.

I have also tried to tough it out, I'm 41, for years and the more I put off getting on medication the more I suffered. You are only hurting yourself if you don't get treatment and I have finally realized that it was making it worse to think I had to tough it out. I am finally going to a Dr that has confirmed my diagnosis of fibromyalgia and lupus and is trying to find the right treatment plan. This group is a great place for encouragement and understanding. I wish you luck!

Hey Karli :)

Be strong, be positive. Don't let negative thoughts and the diagnosis control you. I was diagnosed at 22 and turning 25 on Tuesday. I remember the thoughts of being afraid of not having a normal life, not being able to do the things i loved to do. I was determined and still determined everyday that i control my life. I'm not saying that I don't have bad days or horrible days, but i can say having a positive attitude and using the negative of the diagnosis to change my life accordingly is a great start. You are still very young look forward to the days and years to come :)

Karli,

Wow. Reading your post was like reading about my own life. I am the peace keeper in my family (natal family). The stress of that is killing me. I was diagnosed in my early 20s but that was twenty years ago when there was no such thing as support. Doctors told me that it was a fake disease. I am glad we have this type of medium to use as support now. Hang in there! There is hope! You may not see it right now, but lean on others here if you need to see or feel hope!

Hi Karli - it's so nice to have you here and to meet you! I am so sorry you are having a tough time. I was 33 when I was diagnosed with Fibro. At that time I had two toddlers running around and I was also having serious problems with my then husband. A lot of stress for me with everything else going on. I have had Fibro now for 30 years.

You are a lot like me. I am not good holding things in either. I HAVE to resolve whatever the issue is right NOW! Please don't be down on yourself!! Your feelings are MY feelings years ago. There is so much you can accomplish and if you are depressed - that can certainly be taken care of.

The most important thing right now, is to have the right Doctors lined up to take care of your issues as soon as possible.

You need compassion and empathy for what you are going through. That's why this Fibro group would be so good for you. I was gone a long time because of family matters. But, I just came back today. You are not alone, Karli. Please keep in touch with all of us. We are a GREAT support group and also we give good advice and suggestions. Glad you are here! Laurie

I’m new too welcome I know having this sucks I’m 43 and have been dealing with this for awhile. You can still have a life we just modify what we can do I tell my kids I’m not designed like a healthy person but I can still do things might take a few days. Your not alone and being here your going to learn great tips to feeling better!

Hey Karli,

I actually relate with your story quite a bit. I am only 23 and have had severe fibromyalgia since I was about 12. And despite all the emotional, physical, mental challenges and hurdles I face everyday, I am still constantly acting as a therapist for my friends and family even when I feel like I have absolutely nothing left to give.

I think stress definitely makes fibro worse, its always a chain reaction. Try to take some time for yourself if you can and do something that you truly enjoy and that is calming. For me art and writing, along with working up as a make up artist, are sometimes my best outlets for all the stress I suffer.

Please know that you are not alone, I am glad you came here and vented some of that stress away.

Blessings and prayers

Hello : )
I’m so sorry that reality has to hit like it does.
It’s hard, depressing and scary.

I am also the family therapist in the family and now,
It’s really awful when my brain is too tired to work enough
To help them or the pain is too distracting to hear everything
Their saying. : (. I am able to be there but not the way I
Want to.