Crossroads

Hey everyone,

so my fibromyalgia has brought me to a horrible place. I keep having to call out from my work, though it is part time and I really need the money (I am on my feet all day at work), the pain just feels like its getting worse everyday. I am currently searching for a job that I can do with no luck, and am considering disability even though I am 23, my fibromyalgia is THAT SEVERE. I feel like I am at a crossroads of I want to work and feel like I can do something, and also being in so much pain unable to eat and constantly nauseated...I don't feel like I can work.

Has anyone around my age had to go on disability? How do you cope? Can anyone relate to what I am going through?

I feel slightly eternally trapped.

Thanks for listening.

Blessings and prayers

I am sorry to hear to you are having such a tough time at work. I definitely can understand. I recently posted asking for advise on how to have a conversation about fibro with my boss ( http://forum.livingwithfibro.org/forum/topics/suggestions-for-work-place-conversation-on-fibro). It sounds like your job may not be able to provide appropriate accommodations though. Have you tried to look for a job where you can work remotely? I thankfully am able to work remotely often and I would not be able to continue to work without that accommodation. Many online universities (like my job) now offer work from home options as well as many other types of companies. I am only 25 so I understand your conflict. It is awful to be this young, wanting to have a career, and feeling like you can't. I wish you the best of luck and please add me if you ever feel the need to talk. Gentle Hugs!

Ahava, I understand it can feel overwhelming. I am sorry you find yourself in this place. Can I ask how are you currently managing your Fibromyalgia? Are you seeing a rheumatologist? It is so easy to become discouraged, but I can tell you from experience it takes some time to find what works and it takes a whole body approach involving meds, exercise i.e. hydrotherapy or gentle yoga, etc., sleep maintenance, stress management and healthy lifestyle.

Hugs,

Laurie

Have you seen your doctor lately it may be time for a med change. It can take a while to find what works best for us. I hope things are better for you soon.

Thank you all for the support...I have seen my rheumatologist and we have tried every med under the sun for fibromyalgia. The only meds I am currently taking are Soma (Carisoprodol), and Ambien (Zolpidem), which really don't help very much at all. I metabolize meds differently than most is what my rheumatologist has told me, so what usually is helpful for most doesn't do anything for me. I am not trying to have a pity party over here I am just so over this.

I want to exercise and be active like I was a very, very long time ago, but the only thing I can do (which still causes a lot of pain) is swimming at this point. Mind you I am not even swimming a lot of laps, I try to take it easy.

Clenway5, thank you for the recommendations also. I have been looking for a desk job but they are hard to come by. My last interview for a desk job went pretty horribly unfortunately. I had such horrible fibro fog that I could barely think of answers when they proposed "what would you do in this scenario" questions. I even forgot what I was saying mid sentence and my interviewer stared at me like I was a lunatic even though I was very forthcoming about my fibromyalgia. It was absolutely humiliating. This is why I am fearing that I will have no choice but disability, this kind of fog and unbearable pain is becoming more and more prevalent. :(

Hi, Ahava, how’re you doing? I have been thinking about you and wanted to check-in.

Hugs,
Laurie