Working?

Does anyone work with fibromyalgia ? If so what kind of work do you do? I just recently lost my job as a medical receptionist. I came home hurting tired and in a lot of pain . I was under a lot of stress there also. Now I am cleaning houses. Not a lot of pain just sore. Does anyone do Heavy labor? I’d so , how do you handle flare ups and or soreness

I am waiting to see what others post first.. I had to carry all my tools, a ladder, boxes of cable, my computer, phone and network system parts and lug them around many long blocks in downtown San Francisco among other locations. I planned my day around when I could take more pain medication and tried to do the heavy work when the pain medication was at its best ability to cover the pain. But that was many years ago. Lets see who is still working now.

Thanks for responding back! I guess in the long run I will hurt either way. I am gonna take it and run with working and no pain right now Sad that fibro is so misunderstood

Hi Maleena,

My job is moderate labor, delivering meals to the elderly by walking, going up stairs, etc. I started out being able to walk and climb when I first started last May, but lost the ability sometime in the winter. I've been dragging myself up the stairs for months now, until I got more added to my list and finally went "tilt!"

I would use ice and ibuprofin and Salon Pas Patches (over the counter.) I wouldn't use the ice and Salon Pas Patches at the same time, mind you.

I hope this new job works out ok but I would suggest that you have a definite "Plan B" in your head if it becomes too much for you. Disability or SSI disability are two possibilities.

Good luck! It's sure a hard road to travel down.

Me too, Katie, and I can't underline your statement enough times. If you wear yourself down, the fibro will hit you even harder.

I am a registered nurse with Fibro and I work full time for a home health agency. I mostly do office work as I am the administrator, but will go out to the field on occasion. When my day is over I go home and head straight to my bed or couch to rest my body because I hurt so bad as well as being tremendously exhausted! I push myself to work everyday - as it is a distraction from my Fibro but pay for it when the work day is complete. I pray for Friday to come fast on Monday. Not sure how much longer I will work but will until I just can't anymore. I had my first acupuncture treatment last week - will have treatments 2x/wk for awhile as long as my insurance will approve it. I am really skeptical if it will help but willing to try it. Recently was put on Neurontin but am not up to the preferred dose of 300 mg/ three times daily yet. Have Vicodin if needed.

I wish you nothing but the best in trying to continue to work - just move forward and take it 1 day at a time, this is what I do.