Difficulty Urinating

I have this problem…I really have to go and it’s a struggle to get it started. It takes tremendous concentration. Once I start the stream is weak and intermittent. At night when I get up to go I have actually fallen asleep on the toilet only to wake up and try again. Frustrating!! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Keirsten, I either have to go IMMEDIATELY and can't hold it or else lately have trouble getting started to go. I have two thoughts on this:

1. Possibly urinary tract infection? Other symptoms would be:

• Pain or burning when you urinate.
  • An urge to urinate frequently but usually passing only small amounts of urine.
  • Dribbling (inability to control urine release).
  • Pain or a feeling of heaviness in your lower abdomen.
  • Reddish or pinkish urine.
  • Foul-smelling urine.
  • Cloudy urine.
  • Pain in your back just below the rib cage, on one side of your body (flank pain).
  • Fever and chills.
  • Nausea and vomiting.

2. Medicine side effect? I take Lyrica and since it's been upped I seem to be having this problem.

Maybe you should contact your doctor and set up an appointment to see him/her about this. II you have a urinary tract infection it can get worse, so you would need treatment. Otherwise hopefully he could figure out what's going on.

That's a good list.

How long has this been going on ? Any back pain ?bleeding ? Thre are many causes for this, I would recommend you call your dr. Or ask to see a urologist , it could be an infection, a kidney stone , a side effect of a medication, did you recently have surgery ? If you do not need a referral I would schedule an appointment with a urologist. I know you must be very frustrated, do you feel like you are not emptying ? I use to teach patients what’s called double voiding, you can apply pressure to your lower abdomen while leaning forword,& try & pee, wait 2 min, and try it again, the urologist thought me that , however that is for if you are not emptying, run water at that time can help also . You defiantly need a correct diagnosis . A. Scan of your bladder after you empty will show how much urine is being left behind its a very easy test they can do right in the office. Please call
Hugs

Taking Lyrica or Gabapentin?

Was on gabupentin, now lyrica. Could this be the culprit? Was on gabupentin for two months, lyrica four days. Everything seemed to come out just fine today. :wink: