Disability

This has probably been discussed at length before, but I’m new to this group… So, The fibro has gotten so bad that working full time is impossible. So, I’m getting ready to apply for disability. What can I expect?

Hi Kim, Tho I was classified as disabled decades ago I don't collect SSD or SSI. Therefore, there's not much I can say on the subject except I hear most ppl are denied their 1st try. Try not be discouraged & I wish u the best. I'm sure others will soon give u some answers, but I've seen several discussions on this subject lately. Maybe u should read them. Goodnite~ ((hugs))

Hi Kim and welcome. We are glad to have you with us as we learn more each time someone joins and shares their story about fibro.

In answer to your question, you can expect to be asked to answer a lot of questions in regards to your diagnosis, your health, any related diagnoses, how much you can and can't do, if you can live alone and take care of yourself, and if you're fit enough to hold any job.

The entire process can take from six months to several years, depending upon the case. I would strongly suggest that you hire lawyers who only handle SSDI cases. You only pay if you win, and you pay about one third or one forth of your back pay. I can''t remember which amount it is.

You are going to need to have medical records and dates of your treatments. If you go through a lawyer, they'll help you with that. They will also question you for about one hour to ensure that they think you have a strong case.

I hope this is helpful.

Hugs to ya,

Petunia

First you have to quit working completely and then fill out an app on-line. I have found that having a psychiatrist plus other doctors is essential to winning your case. You will probably be turned down the first time, then will need to get a disability attorney for the second app. Don't get discouraged, it will take a while but it is well worth it. God Bless!

Hello Kim,

Due to my fibromyalgia and other ailments, I was forced to quit my job. The way I went about doing it was to work with my doctor on this issue. I was working the night shift as a night auditor at a hotel. I did not know, at the time, working nights actually aided the advancement of the fibromyalgia. I found and started working with a doctor who is knowledgeable about fibromyalgia. She is an Internist, not a Rheumatologist. During the course of my treatment, my doctor did blood work to identify auto-immune markers. She also ordered an MRI and a memory test to narrow down the reason for my "fibro-fog". During one appointment, I expressed to her how difficult it was becoming to perform my job duties. That's when I found out working nights was a no-no for fibro patients.

My doctor wrote a letter to my work stating that I needed to have a day-time position. Unfortunately, the only position my managers could find for me on the day shift was labor intensive, something else that due to my condition I could not do--and of which they were aware. I conveyed this to my doctor who then wrote another letter explicitly outlining the jobs I could and could not do and why. I had to hand that letter, along with my resignation letter, to one of my managers on the day I was scheduled to start working laundry on the day shift.

I then found a local attorney (not a nation-wide law firm) who only does Social Security cases. I was fortunate to find one that was in practice for herself. My husband and I discussed my case with her, the actual attorney not an associate or advocate. Being a local attorney, she knew my doctor and had worked with/used her on other cases. To me, this is the big advantage of using this type of attorney. After I went over the contract for services with the attorney and signed it, she had an associate go over all of the paper work with me that I would have to fill out myself. I attempted to fill out this stuff on paper before transferring it to the computer (the forms are available as PDF "fill-in" online). Due to fibro-fog, I was having a difficult time of it. I emailed my attorney's office explaining my situation and the next day her associate called me and helped me, on the phone, to get the forms finished. My attorney had my doctor fill out a packet on my condition and then filed everything for me with the courts.

About a month later, I received notice in the mail of an appointment for examination by a psychiatrist. (One of the issues listed on my application was depression.) I went and answered the lady's questions honestly. My husband went with me to this appointment and confirmed all my statements for the lady asking the questions (she kept insisting that she wasn't a psychiatrist--yeah, right!). I was not asked to take any physical exams.

Approximately three months after my application was submitted I received my award letter in the mail. I had the initial waiting period of 6 months before payments began. Like all others, I have a 24 month waiting period before I am eligible for Medicare. This means that I must cover all my medical bills myself. Fortunately, my doctor discounts her visits for me and I have found programs and memberships that help with the cost of medicines--I cannot afford insurance, even under Obama Care. The cheapest plan there is about 1/3 my monthly payment. However, I do have 3 auto-immune markers in my blood. One I know for certain (I found this out when I was 21) is for rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor and I believe one other is for fibromyalgia but we do not know what the third one is for. My doctor is very concerned about this and needs to run more blood tests that I am in no position to be able to pay for.

I realize I am the exception, not the rule, for applying for and receiving Social Security Disability. My attorney was almost beside herself when she found out I was "green-lighted" so quickly. In my case, I owed my attorney a flat fee of $1,000, payable upon my first payment from the government. Again, since this isn't a huge law firm that sees me as just another case number, I was able to talk to her and arrange to make the payments over two months. If my claim had been denied and I had to appeal and if that appeal had been successful, my payments would be retro-active. That is, the government would give me a lump sum of all the monies I should have received dating back to the time I applied minus the 6 month's waiting period. My attorney would then take a percentage of that lump sum. And I believe that the government would have made that payment to her and deposited the rest in my account.

I would strongly advise you to have as much money saved up as you possibly can before quitting and starting this process. I was lucky. I only had to go without income for 6 months and only had to drain one 401K account to help with bills. Most of the people I know who are on disability had an average waiting time of about 18 months before receiving their award letters. And those people were initially denied and had to appeal.

Aside from the monetary aspect of this process, the stress can be overwhelming. I had the easiest time of it and yet, the stress of the interviews, both with the attorney and the psychiatrist--especially with the psychiatrist LOL, messed big time with my condition. The hoping and not knowing if I actually would have enough money to make it until I started receiving payments, the whole process and my being a worrier by nature messed with my condition. For me, it was a bit more stressful than attempting to do my job every night and, like I said, my whole application process was relatively easy.

So, be aware of the pitfalls of doing this and prepare yourself as best you can. I wish you all the best in doing this. Research all the lawyers very well. Look online for reviews on them. You might even check the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce (I had a summer job there once, you'd be amazed at the amount of information you can get on businesses and people there! If a business or person joins the Chamber of Commerce and is an active member, chances are they are not rip-off artists.)

{{{{{{{{{{{Kim}}}}}}}}}}}} Good luck :)

Kim,

A very long wait, normally a denial, then file for appeal with a attorney waiting any where between 12-18 months until you get your appeal hearing l am still waiting on my appeal hearing going on 11 months since appeal was filed. Sorry if it sounds long and drawn out, but the fact is that it is a very long process, I hope you are blessed with an approval on your first attempt! Gentle hugs.

I had no problems getting on. Of course, it still took 5-6 months. I had my fibro doc write a letter for disability. They aso had me see "their" doctor. which was no big deal for me. He basically read my file and asked me to verify what it said. He was very sympathetic, actually, I was surprised. This is key. If they try to close your file ask for a "reconsideration" immediately. A supervisor will go over your file and that's what happened to me and within a few days I was approved and got the pay back dated to the date I applied.

Hope this helps.

Liz

HI ITS SUZYQ THE OTHERS ARE CORRECT.T CAN BE A LONG PROCESS DEPENDING ON WHAT STATE YOU LIVE.GET ALL YOUR DOCUMENTATION FROM WORK AND YOUR DOCTORS.IF I COULD I WOULD HAVE GOT AN ATTORNEY THE FIRST TIME.I APPLIED WAS DENIED REAPPLIED FOR RECONSIDERATION WAS DENIED .I STARTED JAN 2011 .SAN ATTORNEY WAS HIRED SUMMER 2012.HE THOUGHT IT WOULD HELP MY CASE IF I SAW A PSYCHOLOGIST.I WASN'T ASKED TO SEE A DR OR PSYCHIATRIST.THE PSYCHOLOGIST ASKED A LOT OF QUESTIONS DID A LOT OF TESTS.THE HEARING WAS JUNE 19 2013'THE JUDGE AND ATTORNEY ASKED ME AND A WITNESS QUESTIONS.I HAD WRITTEN TESTIMONY FROM A COWORKER/FRIEND AND MY SUPERVISOR AND THE PSYCHOLOGISTS REPORT.A VOCATIONAL EXPERT TESTIFIED OVER THE PHONE.THE JUDGE SIAD I'D HAVE A DECISION IN 4 Weeks.I WON THE ATOORNEY WON'T ACCEPT YOUR CASE UNLESS THEY CAN WIN IT.THE ATTORNEY TAKES 25 PERCENT UP TO 6000 IN FEES.I'M PLEASED WITH MY ATTORNEY MR ROB ENGLER IN BURLINGTON IOWA.IF SOMEONE IN THIS AREANEEDS AN ATTORNEY I RECOMEND HIM.HE'LL BE A WONDERFUL ATTORNEY FOR YOU.GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU GET IT THE FIRST TIME BUT DON'T BE SURPRISED IF YOU ARE.LET US KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH YOUR CASE YOU'RE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.

It's a long process. I have a great attorney who is "specializing" in FM: Scott Daniels Esq of Markoff and Mittman, NYC, NY. He wants me to see a Rheumatologist and Psychiatrist, but I also have disability from radiculitis/neuritis from a car accident in 2000, which only partially disabled me since then and I didn't qualify for SSDI because I was working P/T. Get a lawyer right off, the stress of dealing with the application yourself will exacerbate the FM. The best thing you can do for yourself is remain positive and reduce stress/anxiety.