Does anyone know how to reduce swelling from the fibro?

after research i found many sites that said fibro can cause swelling. it said that it is offen misdiagnosed. fibro swelling will usually occur in the hands and feet not so much the joints.

i notice it in my left foot more than anywhere. but latley the swelling has been painfull. the shoes that usually r the only ones that fit with the swelling r my crocs and today it hurt to wear them. this is new to me.

the weather here in Il. has been changing from cold to warm and now rain. so why i have the swelling is no mystery but i need help. in all the sites i found not one told me how to reduce the swelling. having my foot elevated has not helped. the pain is not horriable but enough to really bother me. i was at a couple stores but only on my feet for about an hour between all the stores.

if anyone has found a way to reduece swelling i would love to know. i dont think my meds r the problem cause the swelling comes and goes. i have no idea how to reduse the swelling.

i am going to try so soak in the tub and see it that will help. i have no idea what else to try.

i know i have seen other questions on weater or not fibro can cause swelling and i think i can say that with the research i did today it does.

Hi eeyoreluver, I always thought that fibro did not cause swelling so this is news to me.

The swelling in your feet and hands sounds to me like it may be water retention. If it is I’ve always found that warm baths and heating pads make it worse. I used to find bathing my feet and hands in cold water gave some relief. If you’re elevating your feet they should be above your head. Tea is a bit of a diuretic and you may want to look at the amount of salt you’re using as it can cause water retention.

I think both Lyrica and Gabapentin can cause water retention, if you’re on other drugs I would suggest that you look at the side affects of each to see if it may be a combination that is creating this. When I suffered from water retention, numerous times, I found that it wasn’t as noticeable as long as I was sitting but as soon as I was walking the water seemed to pool in my ankles and feet. I had shoes in several sizes. One way the doctors used to check for water retention is to press down on the area and run there fingers across it to see if there was a dent, however I’m sure the nurses on here can provide you with more information on this

I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor, in case it is your meds, fibro or related to something else. If it is water retention he can prescribe you diuretics which would help.

It will be interesting to see if others have swelling from fibromyalgia.

Take care, and gentle hugs

IVE HAD SWELLING SINCE 5 WEEKS BEFORE OCTOBER 25;2012 IT DIDNT HURT BUT ON OCTOBER 25 IT DID AND THAT MORNING I WENT TO WORK AT 7AM BUT BY 8 AM I KNEW I COULDNT WORK UNTIL 2:30PM I CALLED THE DR AT 10:30AM AND MADE AN APPOINTMENT AT 1:30PM I TOLD MY 2 WORKPARTNERS WHST HAD HAD HSPPENED AND I COULD STAY UNTIL 12:30PM I SAW MY PRIMARY HERE IN FT MADISON HE DID AN EXAM LOOMING AT MY SHOULDERS KNEES HIPS LEFT ELBOW BACK OF NECK. HE SAID IT WAS ARTHRITIS AND ORDERED 40 MGS OF PREDNISONE FOR 6 DAYS THATS NOT THE USUAL DOSAGE IT DIDNT HELP MY FORMER RHEUMI OREDERED THE STANDARD DOSAGE IT DIDNT HELP HE ORDERED A BONESCAN IT WAS NEGATIVE NOTHING WAS CAUSING THE PAIN AND SWELLING I HAVE A NEW RHEUMI ILL BE SEEING TOMORROW. APRIL 8 AT 2PM ILL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

Wow. That's disturbing, SuzyQ. I hope your new rheumy gets to the bottom of the swelling. I can't believe you've had to wait for 6 months with the pain and swelling! Please keep us posted on what the rheumy says.

1 Like