Feeling defeated today

I am so exhausted today. I managed to get ready and make it into work, but I'm sitting at my desk wondering how I'm going to make it through the day. Not making it through isn't an option. I'm tired, I have a headache and the lights in my office are hurting my eyes. They are very bright and there is no way to turn them down. I would shut them off for a while, but I share an office.

I feel like this diagnosis is getting the better of me today and I feel several emotions about that-defeated, sad, angry, discontent. My body feels sedentary from sitting at this desk and it makes me feel worse. I try to make an active effort to get up and walk, but my body hurts today and doesn't want to cooperate with me. I feel like curling up in a ball in bed and staying there all day.

This is such a vicious cycle and I'm having a difficult time coping.

Sara

I am sorry today has been difficult Sara. I hope you get a good night sleep, often for me things are much better after a good sleep. Hugs.

Sara, try the eye mist sprays for your tired work eyes. They are great. Feel better and remember TGIF tomorrow!:wink:

Hi Auburn and Baltimore,

TGIF!! : ) I'm feeling a lot better today and did get a good night's sleep. It was recommended by a member on here that I talk with my doctor about Zanaflex. I did speak with doctor and he prescribed the medication. It has helped my pain level and sleep significantly. When I take it, I feel very relaxed, my body doesn't hurt as much and I sleep so soundly. Last night, I slept so good and woke up more refreshed this morning (still tired, but not as bad as yesterday). Unfortunately, I cannot take it at work because it is a muscle relaxer and makes me sleepy. I'm hoping the long term effect of better sleep will help me down the road.

Thanks for the support,

Sara

What about nuvigil? I’m on that med for fibro fog, exact same feeling. My doctor put me on it, lyrica and a butrans patch for pain. I feel better. But just as I’m going good w energy and tolerable pain level, my insurance ran out when I switched jobs, now I have to go without meds for 2 months! Or pay crazy amt. it’s like my body can’t stay in homeostasis anymore for one reason or another. Stress has a lot to do with it too. And what and how much I eat of junk food esp. I just met a guy that told me he’s found vegan diet takes away fibro symptoms, but I’m not too much liking that idea. No willpower for that as of yet. I’m a work in progress.

Hi mommyinpain,

I'm sorry that happened. I've experienced that before with gap in insurance and waiting period too. It isn't fun at all and it can be a very stressful time. I feel like my body doesn't stay in homeostasis either, it is different day to day or every few days. It's hard not knowing how we are going to feel and not knowing what the next day will be like with our bodies. I find it exhausting that it is such a roller coaster. I cherish the "good" or "not so bad" days though. I haven't tried Nuvigil. The Zanaflex is working pretty good. It makes me feel very relaxed, reduces my pain level and helps me sleep better.

In reference to the diet thing-I've tried that and found that it does not help me significantly; but I know several people it has helped a lot. It definitely takes willpower and the only time I had that much willpower was when I wanted to fit into a size 12 dress for my wedding. I succeeded, but due to medications and straying away from the diet, I gained the weight back.

Hang in there! : )

Sara

mommyinpain said:

What about nuvigil? I'm on that med for fibro fog, exact same feeling. My doctor put me on it, lyrica and a butrans patch for pain. I feel better. But just as I'm going good w energy and tolerable pain level, my insurance ran out when I switched jobs, now I have to go without meds for 2 months! Or pay crazy amt. it's like my body can't stay in homeostasis anymore for one reason or another. Stress has a lot to do with it too. And what and how much I eat of junk food esp. I just met a guy that told me he's found vegan diet takes away fibro symptoms, but I'm not too much liking that idea. No willpower for that as of yet. I'm a work in progress.

Been there recently and can sympathize, as it’s such a sad defeating place to be. Just keep reminding yourself to hang on because at some point it WILL get better. Prayers

Thank you denamc! : )

Sara

denamc said:

Been there recently and can sympathize, as it's such a sad defeating place to be. Just keep reminding yourself to hang on because at some point it WILL get better. Prayers

Sara, I''m sorry about your diagnosis and work situation. As for the lighting issue, could you bring in a floor lamp with a more comfortable lighting? If so, could you then turn out the work lights? Or how about wearing sunglasses or slightly tinted glasses?

As for exercising, maybe some yoga or tai chi so you wouldn't hurt as much doing it? And the obvious - take it easy during the times that exercising hurts you. Living with fibro entails learning how to stop and rest when you're doing too much and the fibro attacks you.

I hope things are going better for you today. I know that our flares are murder. Try to get some extra rest as that can help your body to recuperate and make more energy for you to use.

Hugs,

Petunia

Thanks Petunia,

I have often considered bringing in a lamp, but I share an office and there is nowhere to plug it in as we have too many appliances in the office. I have been turning off the Fluorescent lights and using a back light that is on my desk. It is helpful. Lately at work, I've been feeling more antsy and needing to take breaks more often to get up and walk around a bit. It seems when I turn the Fluorescent lights off, my body feels less in "overload" and my mind is able to focus better.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes,

Sara

Petunia Girl said:

Sara, I''m sorry about your diagnosis and work situation. As for the lighting issue, could you bring in a floor lamp with a more comfortable lighting? If so, could you then turn out the work lights? Or how about wearing sunglasses or slightly tinted glasses?

As for exercising, maybe some yoga or tai chi so you wouldn't hurt as much doing it? And the obvious - take it easy during the times that exercising hurts you. Living with fibro entails learning how to stop and rest when you're doing too much and the fibro attacks you.

I hope things are going better for you today. I know that our flares are murder. Try to get some extra rest as that can help your body to recuperate and make more energy for you to use.

Hugs,

Petunia