Is it possible

… to have pain radiate from the “pressure points?” Last night my right forearm was aching horrible, on the inside, just below the bend of my elbow. It had been achy all day. I first noticed it in the morning while I was driving. By late evening the pain was pretty bad. I was trying to do laundry, and as I was attempting to pick up the clothes from the washer the pain would shoot up my arm. So I got online and looked up a diagram for the “pressure points” and sure enough, one of them is in the exact spot my pain was coming from. Two more are in the very low back, just above the buttocks, where I have constant pain, but always assumed it was from my back injury. (Now I know why my neurosurgeon is saying he wants to try to separate my Fibro pain from my back pain.) Tonight my neck is real sore – almost like a tension headache coming on. I keep trying to just relax the muscles, but that lasts for all of about 30 seconds. I checked the diagram again and there they are – 2 pressure points right at the base of the skull. Does anyone else experience this?
1966-pressurepoints.jpg (20.5 KB)

Hiya hun, Sounds like you are wearing my body, lol. I have been 99.9% diagnosed with (among other things) fibromyalgia, I have to be referred to the Mineral Hospital for a firm diagnosis, but between me and my GP there is little doubt. I also have severe pains in my legs, above and below my knees, it makes it especially difficult to walk either on the flat or up and down stairs. After just 30 minutes of gentle wandering I feel like I have been nailed down. When I am sitting, my right arm becomes very painful, driving isn’t too bad but thats because the wheel is on the right hand side, and the gears on the left, though long journeys are not possible as I fatigue too readily, my husband is amazing, he does the housework on his days off so that I can rest on my days off. I still have to learn the art of pacing myself, any suggestions?

Sarah

Pacing? Haha … Funny, I was just talking to a friend tonight … I woke up this morning with pain in my left arm at the bend, but it subsided after my shower. I felt GREAT for most of the day! I ran some errands, ZIPPED through WalMart like I haven’t in years! All through the grocery section, down to HBA & the pet food aisles, all the way back to frozen foods, then to the checkouts. And I mean ZIPPED!! Still an hour after I got home I felt great! I went to lunch w.my best friend, spent a couple hours at the restaurant, then a couple hours after that took my daughter to a meeting and headed to Sam’s Club, all the while feeling fine. I grabbed my shopping cart & then could barely walk. My friend told me I need to learn how to pace myself. But jeez … it’s not that often that I feel so good, ya know? I just wanted to go, go, go!!!

As far as my housework is concerned, I’ve learned that I have no choice but to pace myself. I work for 20-30 minutes, then take a 10-15 minute break. Period. The break is absolutely mandatory, whether I feel as though I need it or not. I set timers on the microwave, oven, my cell phone … whatever I need to do to maintain the schedule. It’s better to take an extra hour or so to get the chores done the first time, rather than to push to get them all done at once then spend the entire next day in the recliner.

sarah edwards said:

Hiya hun, Sounds like you are wearing my body, lol. I have been 99.9% diagnosed with (among other things) fibromyalgia, I have to be referred to the Mineral Hospital for a firm diagnosis, but between me and my GP there is little doubt. I also have severe pains in my legs, above and below my knees, it makes it especially difficult to walk either on the flat or up and down stairs. After just 30 minutes of gentle wandering I feel like I have been nailed down. When I am sitting, my right arm becomes very painful, driving isn’t too bad but thats because the wheel is on the right hand side, and the gears on the left, though long journeys are not possible as I fatigue too readily, my husband is amazing, he does the housework on his days off so that I can rest on my days off. I still have to learn the art of pacing myself, any suggestions?

Sarah

Thanks for the suggestions, Diana!

Diana Parker said:

Have you ever tried to press on your pressure points, sometimes it helps just a little. I wish my neuro or other doc would try to separate my issues, none of them every try. For the strange headache thing, check out the group for fibro with cranial nerve disorders, read that and see if it explains your pain. Good luck Diana

sometimes my forearms hurt and what’s weird is that usually it’s both at the same time but not always. The worst pain I have had besides just pain everywhere is when I hold my left arm out to the side, raise it outward and if I move it back or say someone puts downard pressure on it I will practically hit the floor. I first noticed this in the car because I have a habit of putting my left hand behind the drivers head rest and my grandaughter leaned a little bit on my arm…OMG I thought I would throw up until it FINALLY eased up…but yes forearms, RLS but my pain is usually between the knees to the ankles in the shins…OMG…not hurting right this min anyway but just thinking about it, man! my wrists and ankles have started lately…Lord what will we do…or I should say, what can we do?
Callie

I too go through it as well. There are times that even my pain meds (dilaudid) don’t even touch it. That’s when it really stinks. Is what helps me is, and don’t laugh, is pamprin. I take pamprin and tylenol together, that helps to lower the pain to where its more tolerable. Usually by the second or third does is when I realy notice the difference. I learned this from a nurse years ago for my back. (I had a back surgery)

Pacing has really helped me. Whatever I'm doing, I have to know my limit. Being honest with myself and aware of my body is the key. My limit is what my body, mind, etc can take; not what I want it to do. It took a lot of patients and the acceptance that I couldn't at least for the moment do what I wanted to do without bringing on a fibro attack.

I start off with a new (or even old) activity very slowly. Build up some tolerance for it. Could be shopping, exercise, eating certain food, work, whatever. The key is to find my limit and then gradually increase it by coming very close to that limit without exceeding it. If I go past my limit, even today, I pay for it dearly the next day. I've found that my limit increases substantially over time.

Ex. It has taken me two years to go from not working at all to being able to work a full 40+ hour week and grow a small IT business. I started out very slowly and whenever I had a bad day knew that I had overdone it the day before.

Always remember to reward/reinforce your positive steps and let go of the negative ones. It is a process.

Tabetha's comments on taking breaks and using timers (I use my cell phone) is excellent advice. I have 2 daily recurring timers set for my meds. Every appointment, chore, etc goes into my Google Calendar which is linked to my cell phone calendar/alarms. Otherwise I will forget about it.

sarah edwards said:

Hiya hun, Sounds like you are wearing my body, lol. I have been 99.9% diagnosed with (among other things) fibromyalgia, I have to be referred to the Mineral Hospital for a firm diagnosis, but between me and my GP there is little doubt. I also have severe pains in my legs, above and below my knees, it makes it especially difficult to walk either on the flat or up and down stairs. After just 30 minutes of gentle wandering I feel like I have been nailed down. When I am sitting, my right arm becomes very painful, driving isn't too bad but thats because the wheel is on the right hand side, and the gears on the left, though long journeys are not possible as I fatigue too readily, my husband is amazing, he does the housework on his days off so that I can rest on my days off. I still have to learn the art of pacing myself, any suggestions?

Sarah