Knee replacement

I am scheduled for my first knee replacement on Dec 3. Any advice on pain management and recovery? I am really worried

Hello Madelynn,

Just wanted to add my support and good wishes for your forthcoming knee op. Haven't had one myself, but my dad has had both knees replaced, many years ago, and I'm sure they use better techniques etc these days. Even then the results were amazing, and he recovered really well. It will be a positive thing to have done, good luck.

Take care, Anne

I would probably allow more time for recovery (due to feeling pain more intensely due to Fibro) and make sure your ortho is on board with knowing all about your Fibro. So you can get proper pain management.

There is another Discussion on the forum right now about ankle surgery, it’s a different joint, but a lot of similar issues. Check it out http://forum.livingwithfibro.org/m/discussion?id=3965623%3ATopic%3A517442

Starr

I have worked quite a bit with people who have had knee replacements - in the water. They will want you to work a lot on getting the bend back - working on your range of motion. It is crucial that you do so - if you don't get the bend back in the first little while you may never get it back. Here in Canada they will put you on a machine before you even leave the hospital to get the knee moving. It will involve breaking down scar tissue so you can get that movement. Not fun, but important for the long term.

Once the incision has healed, try & get into the water, just walking. Start slow. Just walk at first, start adding knee lifts & kicks, walk forwards & backwards, sideways. The water is great because you get a bit of resistance every plane you move on. Good luck !

Thanks for the advice and encouragement
I am actually doing pre surgical aquatic PT to build up my strength. In the water I feel like I am a teenager again, and can do anything. I love it!

That is great! I love the aquatic therapy it really seems to help people and some place have a program when your thru with pt that you can still go but you have to pay for it yourself.