Methods besides drug to reduce the pain

Hi everyone,

I recently joined this support group a few days ago I UST have not had time to introduce myself. My name is donna and I was diagnosed with fibro over 3 years ago but I've had it since I was a child it just got worst I got older. I am now 24. I had to recently resign from my job because school and work was too much for me. My school is 45 mins away from work and the back and forth was exhausting. I'm currently on Savella but lately it hasn't been working and my pain in consuming me. I'm even experiencing some extreme lower back pain. My doctor believes its a degenerative disc disease. I'm suppose to so an MRI this week. He even suggested that I do physical therapy 3 times a week. I'm just wondering if I can get advice on other ways to reduce the pain besides medication. This all feels new to me even though I've had for a long time.

Hey I know it’s super hard and stressful
Sometimes I listen 2 my music or play my guitar or watch some tv or movies :}

Hi,

Here are a few things I've tried that provide pain relief:

Hot baths-I like to get the water as hot as I can tolerate it. It seems to make my body relax and my muscles stop "freaking out" while I am soaking. It has a good after effect as well of relaxation and releases the tension in my muscles.

I have severe low back pain at times as well. I have Arthritis and Fibro, so the low back pain stems from both of those diagnoses. I know you are looking for medication free responses, but I want to mention one topical cream I have been on that has really helped my low back. It is called Voltaren Gel. It's an anti-inflammatory that soaks in quickly and provides me relief. It is a prescription so you would have to discuss with your doctor. One non-medication remedy I've tried is Salonpas patches. They are like icy hot, but have a more soothing feeling than Icy Hot in my opinion because it doesn't irritate my skin. It doesn't feel too hot or too cold, it's a nice combination of both.

Heating pads/Ice Packs are helpful as well, depending on what works for you.

It seems like a lot of the remedies are trial and error, depending on what works for you and your body. I find that what worked one day, will not work the next day. I've been given great advice on here about having an "emergency kit" ready for situations/days I don't feel well. It is a bunch of things I have found work for me to help me in times of pain or other symptoms.

Sending support your way,

Sara

Hello and welcome, glad you started a discussion. I have found that keeping my stress level as low as possible and getting quality sleep (not easy) to be effective. I also use a lot of visualization and deep breathing (every hour typically) which helps me. I have been going to physical therapy once a month and getting exercises to build up core muscle tone, I think this has really helped overall. I also use Salon Pas, Epsom salt, music, ice packs. I also suggest you check out the Fibro 101 guide section if you haven't already as it has helpful information. Hugs!!!

Hi Donna. I highly recommend physical therapy. They will help you get used to doing stretches, strengthening your core, and other things that will help decrease your back pain. Stronger core muscles will take some strain off your back. I hope your MRI goes well.

I second what the others have said. I use Salon-Pas, and if its an awkward place like my knees or wrists I use Tiger-Balm or Sombra, both similar ingredients to Salon-Pas, if yoj cannot tolerate one, another formulation might be better. Drink lots of water. Invest in some high quality pillows.

hugsmeow*

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am definitely going to invest in heating pads. I’ve started physical therapy my doctor recommended three times a week I’m really hoping it helps alot. I appreciate the support and suggestions from everyone!

Welcome, Donna!

There is some awesome advice posted here already, and I definitely agree with Sara on take hot baths when you can. I do this before bed especially and have an electric blanket on so that my muscles won't spasm during the night and wake me up. It does help quite a bit. I also have a white noise app on my phone I use to help me sleep, sometimes it really comes in handy to relieve stress and get you into a deeper sleep.

I also agree with Auburnm about stress levels. Stress is one of the highest contributors to fibro pain, fatigue and fog. I am guessing that might be some of the reason why you had to quit work was because school and work is a LOT of stress even for someone who doesn't suffer from fibro. I had to withdraw from college one semester because it was just too much, I was going into the bathroom crying from the pain inbetween classes which is highly unusual for me to do that. Please take care of yourself and remember that your not being selfish if you have to cancel plans or are taking a couple of hours just to be by yourself. It is much needed therapy for us fibro fighters.

Blessings and prayers!