Recruiting participants for research study on Tai Chi and Aerobic Exercise for Fibromyalgia (FMEx)(Boston)

Hi Guys,

Tuffs medical center Boston Massachusetts is currently recruiting participants for a study on Tai Chi and Aerobic Exercise for Fibromyalgia (FMEx)

Estimated Primary Completion Date: January 2016

Please note; Bens Friends has no involvement in the study. Anyone interested should contact Tuffs Medical centre - contact details below.

Purpose

The investigators will conduct a large randomized controlled trial comparing the effectiveness of Tai Chi mind-body exercise and standard-of-care aerobic exercise for fibromyalgia. In addition, the investigators will determine the optimal frequency and duration of a Tai Chi intervention for short and long-term effectiveness.

Ages Eligible for Study: 21 Years and older
Genders Eligible for Study: Both

Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01420640

Contacts
Contact: Anna Schmid, BS 617-636-2676 aschmid@tuftsmedicalcenter.org
Contact: Chenchen Wang, MD, MSc 617-636-3251 cwang2@tuftsmedicalcenter.org

Locations
United States, Massachusetts
Tufts Medical Center Recruiting
Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02111
Contact: Anna Schmid, BS 617-636-8682 fmex@tuftsmedicalcenter.org
Sponsors and Collaborators
Tufts Medical Center
Investigators
Principal Investigator: Chenchen Wang, MD, MSc Tufts Medical Center
More Information

Ditto. I consider getting out of bed a marathon ;). Maybe you could ask to be in tai chi group lol! x

Thanks for posting this! My sister keeps cutting out the ad from the paper and then shoving it under my nose. It does sound interesting but I don't want to schlepp all the way down to Boston. Maybe I'll call and see if it's going to be held in the downtown area or if it's in a suburb.

Is anyone going to take part in this? I won't feel so bad going if someone else is going as well.

YES!!!!

I'm not sure if I really trust Tufts or not. I went to their specialized pain clinic that was supposed to be good for fibromyalgia. It consisted of telling yourself supportive, positive messages, which is fine with me; meditation, which I absolutely loathe and cannot do; some sort of occupational therapy (the person running it tried to make me set tons of goals to reach, like going back to work, and was surprised and upset that I thought that cooking or going to the grocery store was enough for one day;) and the kicker - climbing up and down stairs repeatedly to find a safe way to do it and then walk up and down the room quite a few times. I ended up in the flare from you-know-where that lasted for weeks, so I quit the program.

I hope this study is better than that stupid clinic.