Seriously COLD FEET and hands, can you help..?

For the last 4 years I’ve had extremely cold feet, right up to my knees. My Dr said I have poor circulation and to dress with warm socks and woolly boots. I’ve done all this and even brought myself battery charged insoles to try and keep my feet warm but alas still no real difference. I even tried cayenne pepper on my insoles as I was told this is how competitive cycles keep their feet warm but still no relief. They just get so cold that they go numb and sometimes my tows throb with pain…

My hands are also cold but I can keep them warm with winter woollen gloves plus a hot-water-bottle to keep them warm on my lap…

I wear 2 or 3 layers of warm winter clothing as I was told that more layers are warmer than one heavy layer, plus it’s easier to manage with my poor hand function.

Has anybody had similar problems with seriously cold feet as I’m really concerned of frostbite, as our temperatures here in NZ over winter get well below freezing, especially over night…? This year is the coldest I’ve ever experienced and I’m troubled that I may have some medical problems ahead of me…!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Mike

I have been told by a nursing friend that I might have RAYNAUD'S SYNDROME..?

I have researched this on the internet and it dose seem possible that I have some of the symptoms in my fingers and toes....

Has anybody else had this syndrome and any good ideas on how to stop the very cruel throbbing pains, especially in my toes?

Thanks for your help as I do appreciate your feedbacks, Mike

Ouch! I too suffer from cold extremities. I don’t ever remember sleeping without socks. I live in Minnesota which has the coldest winters in the lower 48 states of the United States. Did your doctor check for low thyroid, and/ or low metabolism? Eat small meals several times a day… Light exercise to raise your metabolism… -Mike from Minnesota

Hi Mike and thanks for your reply. Yes I had my thyroid checked recently and if anything it’s a little on the high side but this is normal for me, but my Dr is still keeping his eye on other thyroid tests if they change at all.
My metabolism is fine and I do prefer to eat a lot of smaller meal, as I have some trouble swallowing with my CP. My main concern is the real possibility of long term circulation problems and the fear of frostbite or similar, as my district nurse is concerned as well. My feet don’t serve me well but the thought of losing toes or feet kinda shakes my cage a bit. I suppose being relying on my wheelchair has its benefits but it still bugs me at the thought of no feet to clean…! Our climate here in the South is very cold in the winters and frosts over night are quite common plus days without sunlight compound the cold temperatures… Our highest temperature yesterday was 5.degrees Celsius and we are not quite into winter yet.!
If ever you hear of any other good ideas Mike I would love to hear them please. Thanks for your help and I do appreciate your support. Mike

mike07 said:

Ouch! I too suffer from cold extremities. I don’t ever remember sleeping without socks. I live in Minnesota which has the coldest winters in the lower 48 states of the United States. Did your doctor check for low thyroid, and/ or low metabolism? Eat small meals several times a day… Light exercise to raise your metabolism… -Mike from Minnesota

My ex-husband remedied his freezing feet and hands by using pain creams with capsasin or capsicum in them. That is a hot pepper. The safest is the roll-on so you don't get it on your fingertips, then accidenatlly touch your eyes. OUCH!! It really warmed him up. He also wore 2 pairs of heavy socks, and hiking boots for foot protection. If you get a sore or injury in feet that have low blood circulation, it's VERY dangerous. Up to years of healing, then infection that can affect your whole system, sometimes amputation...so keep warm. Have you ever seen or heard of the hand warmers that people use that live in cold countries? These are hand warmers that fit in a pocket or just can be held to warm up your hands. You can buy disposable ones or one you reuse again and again. (This is ebay Australia). Here's what they look like and a place you can buy them. http://bit.ly/m00hrH

Hang in there!
--like this-->

Thanks Sheila but I’ve tried hot creams andt still have frozen feet. I also have chemically heated reusable hand warmers that I do use and can get relief in my hands by holding into one for about 15 minutes. My hands aren’t so bad to rewarm as I use them to help push my wheelchair. If my hands get wet, they get really cold quite fast even with my heavy wheelchair gloves on. My feet and legs are almost frozen all the time, only relief is to have 30 minutes in the spa at our Aquatic Centre in town. I’m more concerned about my feet and legs as I was told if they get real bad they would amputate my feet and possibly my legs at my thighs, as it would be the best and more easier option. Sounds quite horrific as my legs aren’t all that useful but they are still an important part of me… I do try and protect both feet, legs and hands as without my right hand I would be completely dependent on help for all my daily needs, my left hand isn’t as useful to me as I don’t have much control of it…

It’s nice of you to think of my Raynauds Sheila as I’m just new to this disease and kind of still fumbling around in the dark .
I do appreciate your help and support as I’m still quite shocked of my diagnosis plus a bit anxious as we go into our winter here.
Take care and bless you heaps.
Mike