Body and skin numbness

Hello! I read a post from March 2014 about numbness, and would like to bring this up again now. I have been having lots of numbness throughout my body and typically on my skin. Not the usual tingling feet and hands, but my body’s skin, everywhere. Some areas more than others, and tends to travel around. I have a lot of allergies and will notice more numbness when they are really bad. Recently my lower back and hips have been extremely tight and painful and the skin is numb on my upper legs. And really, it’s probably more than just the skin, it’s what I notice mostly and so how I describe it. I was tested for MS prior to the FM diagnosis approximately 13 years ago, but am thinking I ought to speak with my doctor about this numbness. I just figured it was due to allergies, but I’m thinking it’s more involved than that. I’ve been putting off the discussion because I’m not sure I want the answer! Anyone else experiencing this type of general body-wide, (seemingly) skin numbness?

I too suffer from this numbness, like someone gave me a shot of nova-cane. It is only topical and quite creepy feeling. My rheumatologist said I may have meralgia paresthetica. My numbness is mainly on the upper front of my legs, but sometimes it moves around. Weird, right?

I forgot to mention_, I gained some weight when I started the Cymbalta and Lyrica, and my Dr. said that may have something to do with the numbness.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It is a very weird feeling, and I’m glad someone else knows what I’m describing. I too notice it the most in my thighs. I was tested again for C-reactive protein and it came back quite high, so not sure if the numbness could be a side effect of whatever is causing the high level of inflammation. I do have appointments to see a neurologist in August (unless a cancellation occurs), and i’ I’m going to start seeing a Doctor of Osteopathy - both doctors came highly recommended. So, I will see what they think.

Why does your doctor think your numbness could be weight related?

Meralgia paresthetica is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain in your outer thigh. The cause of meralgia paresthetica is compression of the nerve that supplies sensation to the skin surface of your thigh.Mar 8, 2018
Meralgia paresthetica is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain in your outer thigh. The cause of meralgia paresthetica is compression of the nerve that supplies sensation to the skin surface of your thigh.

Tight clothing, obesity or weight gain, and pregnancy are common causes of meralgia paresthetica. However, meralgia paresthetica can also be due to local trauma or a disease, such as diabetes.

In most cases, you can relieve meralgia paresthetica with conservative measures, such as wearing looser clothing. In severe cases, treatment may include medications to relieve discomfort or, rarely, surgery

I gained weight when I started to take Cymbalta and Lyrica. The extra weight was and is putting pressure on
on the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, which supplies sensation to your upper thigh, might cause these symptoms of meralgia paresthetica:

Tingling and numbness in the outer (lateral) part of your thigh
Burning pain on the surface of the outer part of your thigh
These symptoms commonly occur on one side of your body and might intensify after walking or standing.

I hope this helps…

1 Like

Hi i have muscle pain all over my body driving me absolutely crazy nearly crying with it help