Fibro and....anger?

Hello my fellow fibro warriors!

I recently read a book that had a very interesting idea on fibro. The primary focus is on using hormones to treat a wide variety of conditions. However he also discussed what he feels may play a role in fibro development. I wanted to share it with you all and see what you think. I would say I definitely fit the description of someone who struggles with the loss of control. Is it really possible to be more susceptible because of our personalities?

"Every patient I’ve ever treated for fibromyalgia has been someone who internalizes anger. Often they are perfectionists who have unrealistically high expectations of themselves and of the people living around them. They allow the behavior of other people to control how they feel or allow the world they deal with to make them angry. From what I have seen with my patients, the challenge for those with fibromyalgia is often this issue of control. This means disappointments can be many. Think of a person with “road rage”; he or she is allowing other drivers to determine how they feel. Instead of road rage, fibromyalgia sufferers have “life-in-general rage.” The response to loss of control is anger, which they often do not realize is internalized. The anger causes, in turn, a general tensing of muscles. When muscles are tensed, two things happen: lactic acid builds up, causing pain (athletes call it muscle burn), and a large amount of energy is expended, causing persistent fatigue."

"Part of my approach with fibromyalgia patients is to give them insight into their anger and work with them to discover ways to dissipate it. I urge them to make changes in their lives and to seek the help of a therapist, if necessary, to deal with the source of their anger."

The Miracle of Bio-Identical Hormones by Michael E. Platt MD

Hi. Personally I don’t deal with anger internally or outwardly. I am by nature a tranquil person. For me , anger is a negative emotion that can zap ones spirit and energy. My view with illness is to deal with it with optimism. I know this may indeed sound very simplistic to many being challenged with very huge and complex conditions. I wish all the best to all.

HUGGGGGGGGS

Suzie

That is an interesting observation you have posted from the book Clenway5. Anger is actually a normal and healthy emotion but our culture and upbringing all too often teaches us it is undesirable and that is when we start suppressing it and it becomes either internalized or inappropriately externalized. And it's not just anger either, other emotions such a grief or sorrow can be internalized and do just as much damage. I'm going to see if I can find where I read about this.

I think he has a good point about the anger. And I myself am a perfectionist so I know that is a huge is in my problem with Fibromyalgia. But I think it is something that makes it worse with me…, but did not create the FM.

I am 100% sure I have had this fibromyalgia gene since I was born. I look back on my life since I was diagnosed and see and understand why I felt the way I always have. Just not to the degree I am at now.

Those that say FM is not a progressive disease are so wrong. With ever trauma, and bad situation I have gone through, it ad gotten worse.

That is where the anger issue comes into effect though. It has a great impact on how we deal with the situations we face. I am a pastor’s wife, and a PK. And all my life have had to suppress my feelings and anger. And know if there was some way to release all of this junk, and quit taking it in, I would feel much better, even with this FM gene… (It runs in my family) (3 cousins, sister, aunt…)