Nutrition and Fibro

I have finally turned to studying food in an attempt to get well. The more I study, the simpler it seems to get: eat like your great-great grandmother did. Seriously. She might not have had *enough* to eat, but what she had wasn't manufactured food.

Amend that: I have finally turned to studying nutrition again,after learning about 'fibroglycemia'. Cut out sugar, wheat, etc. The further I drill down, the more basic it gets and the more it looks like the foods Jane Austen used to carry to the indigent sick.

Anyone else have "gut" issues? Anyone using fluoride toothpaste/fluoridated water and eating brominated wheat flour bread AND having unexplainable 'thyroid' problems? I found out that fluroide and bromine latch onto thyroid receptors which prevents the iodine in your food (fish and iodized salt) from getting in where it belongs. I cut out all wheat (and all other grains) and fluoride toothpaste. My skin went back to almost normal and the temperature irregularities lessened.

Sugar in all its forms is a killer for me. Literally. But going clean was VERY hard. Even now I have to be careful. Fruit sends my glucose #s waaay up and dysregulates my temperature. I want to turn the thermostat to 58. Winter is great: I can go stand outside. And the sugar substitutes are brain cell dysregulators. Lovely. The only safe one seems to be stevia. Since I find that loathsome, I'm sugar-free.

What are other ppl doing re what they eat? Any luck? I may be missing yet another doctor appt today because my stomach hurts...

Have you read "Foods That Fight Fibromyalgia" by Deirdre Rawlings? It just came out in October. I didn't get a chance to read it closely before I had to return it to the library, but I remember it had a list of "acceptable" sweeteners like raw local honey and pure maple syrup. The 2 big no-nos are aspartame and MSG.

My plan is to start a new healthier whole food diet for the new year.

HI I HAVE DEIRDRAS BOOK FOODS THAT FIGHT FIBRIMYALGIA I SAW IT IN THE LIBRARY AND CALKED MY LOCAL BOOKSTORE ITS A WONDERFUL BOOK WITH LOTS OF GOOD RECIPES AND AND A NUTRITIONAL SECTION LIKE NOT TO USE THE MICROWAVE BE AUSE IT STRIPS 70-90 PERCENT OF YOUR. NUTRICIOUS FOOD

That's intriguing about microwaves affecting nutrition. Did the author cite any research about how microwaves do this? I'd love to see what they did to prove this hypothesis and what foods they tested. That could be real useful.

My son's roommate swears microwaves makes food taste bad and won't use one AT ALL I don't have the heart to tell him that since he eats out a lot he's probably eating microwaved food more than he realizes Since I mostly just use it to reheat foods, it's always at a low setting, somewhere between 30% to 50%. Any higher and it either gets too hot for me or the food heats unevenly.

I haven't read this book since I mostly rely on Dr. Devin Starlanyl's manual for diet. If I stick to that - but even stricter now - I'm not dizzy, don't fall down, etc.

Unfortunately, sugar is sugar in the end, at least for me. FM seems to have warped my endocrine system so that I have become highly reactive to any sugar. Thus, honey and maple syrup have made me weak and jittery and DIZZY. Besides, I don't eat grains anymore, so there wouldn't be anything to put them on.

I'd be interested to know what healthier new food diets others have had luck with.