Oh the fibro fog!

Having a lot of issues with cognitive recall and even speaking! The past 2 days have been the worst!

What has worked well for you all? I’ll try almost anything at this point!

Hi, I can relate, a few weeks ago I was at a staff meeting and as I was speaking I completely forgot what I was saying as I was saying it. No way could I remember either. I do not have answers, but I feel your pain.

How do you tell the difference between fibro fog and old age? LOL I am 45 yrs old and have experienced fibro fog for years (before being diagnosed) and I assumed it was part of getting older! LOL

Me too...and has been getting worse as the time passes.

If you find out ANYTHING that might work...please post.

Like you, I'm at the point of trying just about anything...it's just SO frustrating.

Do you find it worse when your in the Fibro Fog? I sure do.

Hi,

I also have issues with fibro fog and I contacted a speech therapist friend of mine. I am going to share her suggestions and a website she recommended I visit. I am a special ed teacher, by trade, although no longer working. I am familiar with children and word finding difficulties so I was just asking my friend for any information that might help in my situation. Maybe some of this would help.

For word finding difficulties: you're on the right track with doing the descriptive expression stuff but make sure you are being as specific as you can be when doing so. I'm a huge fan of 'visualization'--painting a picture in your mind of what you want to say to use your 'photo storage' memory to draw from your 'word storage' memory. Another thing that I am fond of is the research of the potential of the brain to 'rewire' and make more connections to make it more efficient. One way to facilitate this is through 'listening programs' (TLP, iLs) but in my humble opinion, I think you can replicate similar type strategies by listening to some wonderful Beethoven or Bach either wearing headphones or via stereo and doing some cognitive tasks like crosswords, visual memory games or 'brain games'. You can also do some stuff that involves some gross motor movement with lots of bilateral 'crossing over'.

http://www.talkking.us/word-retrieval-adult.html

http://www.superduperinc.com/handouts/pdf/185%20Understanding%20Word-Retrieval%20Problems.pdf

• talkking.us
    Word R etrieval Problems are a Common Experience Everyone experiences word retrieval problems during conversation from time to time. This is the inability to retrieve a word from memory to use it...

I just wait it out. Eventually the word will come to me...maybe 10 minutes later but it does come. Frustration doesn't help. Just take a break from the thought and it will come.

Yes!! Some days are worse than others…kind if goes in cycles. Have you ever been tested for lyme or its coinfections…or I know this sounds weird, but candida levels? I was dx with fybro and lupus last year…but just found out that i have some lymne coinfections and high candida…all of these conditions cause neurological problems. If I had not found out about these other conditions my brain/speech would just get worse. Cant hurt to get tested girl.

Tracy

yes I had this for several years until I was admitted to hospital with renal failure. Not uncommon with chronic fatigue. When I left hospital, I met a doctor with alternate medical knowledge. he suggested an organic fruit and veg diet only, nothing else remove toxins from my home and a range of vitamins and minerals, including magnesium and lugols iodine. This worked and although I’m not a ball of energy I no longer sleep for 16 hours a day. good Luck with your fog, Barb

Yes, I agree with Wendy, I just have to wait it out. The harder you try to recall the word you are after the farther away it seems to go. It does eventually come.........maybe 10 minutes later. Definitely frustration does not help. When you are tired it seems this problem will happen more frequently.

Fibro fog is most frustrating, but I have never heard of anything you could do or take that helps it. Just patience and waiting. Sometimes if you switch and talk about something else, the word will come popping into your head.

My Rheumatologist tells me it is from chronic pain and lack of sleep. So, guess you have to battle the pain to clear the fog!

If you discover anything let us know! I get that way with migraines also. Take care.

Adderall 20mg and I can function. Don’t wish to become addicted so I only use in emergency situation

May want to ask your dr about it.

xx

Other thing is taking a nap when tired or flustered and checking blood sugar for hypoglycemia.

Lyme and coinfections can cause neuro issues. Since starting antibiotics, herbals, vit B12, detox etc my head has slowly cleared.

http://www.drvitaminsolutions.com/Alcohol_Protection/NutraMedix_Pinella_Brain-Nerve_Cleanse_1_oz_Bottle
Nutramedics sells a neuro cleanse detox (burbur or pinella) that I’m using now too.

I WRITE MYSELF LOTS OF REMINDERS AND POST THEM ON FRIDGE. IF I PUT SOMETHING UP , I TELL SOMEONE. I HAVE TROUBLE WITH PEOPLE I KNOW NAMES. I HAVE TO LOOK AT THERE FACE FOR ALONG TIME.THIS SCARE ME SOMETIMES . I AM 64 YEARS OLD. I HAVE GOOD DAYS AND LOTS OF BAD ONE. SOMETIMES WHEN I COOK, I LEAVE OUT SOMETHING . THIS MAKE'S ME MAD AT MYSELF.I WISH ALL OF YOU WELL , AND FEEL BETTER SOON.

I usually call a close friend or ask my husband to help me. They understand.

SLEEP. I can go from being a car wreck to a normal human if I get a few hours of sleep during the day, once the exhaustion has set in. That's when I start getting particularly foggy.

For me, that's the best solution to it. But hopefully others will have different solutions.

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions!

Hi kt,

How are you feeling today! NIce to see you on the boards! Drop in and say hi when you can!

Wishing you well,

SK

Today is a good day. I'm exhausted and hurting, but my darling husband got me a laptop, so I can be online as much as I want!!!

Oh, how nice! Sounds like you have a real sweetie there! The only thing as nice as a good husband, is a good Dr! Hope you have both!

What a gal you are, exhausted and hurting and still telling us that today is a good day! Another woman of power!

Hope you have a good day everyday!

Hugs,

SK