Periodic Fibro Flare

Hello… I am excited to join this site! I am wondering if anyone else has this problem - I periodically “crash” meaning sleep for 10 hours or more upon waking up in the morning for work. After having slept all night, I will feel completely exhausted and sleep all day without hearing the phone ring, dog bark, etc. it is frightening and I do not know if others experience this problem. I take a bunch of meds for fibro as well as other medical conditions. The fibro meds include Lyrica and Savella. I take Vicodin for extreme pain episodes and thyroid medications. I also suffer from lumbar disk disease, pulsatile tinnitis, Sleep Apnea, CFS and Hashimotos. it seems like the periodic “crashes” are occurring more and more. I appreciate any insight or info you can share. Have a wonderful Friday ~Sunflower72

Hi Sunflower, I am excited to see you here too. I learn so much from others when they share their experiences.

I have had your list for about 35 years, we are pretty much on twin level. Sadly. I studied over 600 fibro and cfids survivors through the years (it started out as a hobby then became more). I am positive that each one of the "flare's" that people have are caused by a specific trigger.

Often you hear of various levels of hypoglycemia that go with these illnesses. Some doctors believe we actually have a type of Diabetes that has not known name yet. Sugars that are supposed to be in our brain fail to get where they need to be. When I feel like I am in a coma like sleep... even though not restful, I can usualy trace the type of sugar that may be putting me there. It could even be an orange and may very well be a piece of cheese or milk. Things hide in all sorts of packages.

Additionally, I have learned that we suffer greatly from Positive Electricity. This was my biggest learning event ! Strong upper atmosphere winds, oncoming barometric pressure events -primarily low but high works too- can put our body into what I call a Positive Electric storm. We are nothing but a chain of amino acids... only some toxins, viruses and bacteria got our chain out of order. Like batteries, we have too much + and not enough -. So when those winds even though 40 miles high above the earth go whipping around they bring us influx or positive electricity that sends our brains into a frenzy.

Once they become stressed by this electric mode... our genes take over and the sleep pattern is seriously disturbed.

Often, when we are uncomfortable, feel bad, uneasy or stressed even if we don't know why. Foods of comfort to that area of the brain are thought of in our subconscious - which if loaded with sugars or carbohydrates, just keep the cycle going.

I vote its winter, The nociceptors in your skin are feeling the micro particles of winter pressure systems and sending messages to your brain. You are sleeping like that probably because when you do sleep you are not getting to the REM sleep we require to rejuvenate. I recently fell asleep on the bus coming home and went 5 km farther than my house before I woke up. Someone asked me why didn't I just stay on there if I was sleeping so sound? It was a horribly windy day here in Costa Rica and the bus was warm with soft music... just right.

Replacing the positive electricity with negative is a key. Standing under a soft flowing shower for a long period of time will do that. Going to the beach, walking in the waves or more. Waterfalls in the mall, be sure you sit by them. And, though you may already be doing it a lot... try really hard to only eat protein after 6 at night. Nothing with any form of sugars in it at all. About supper time, I drink two full glasses of clear water... to make the electrolites happy.

Spring is on the way and the weather fronts will calm and negative electricity will return. Hugs. /hopabout

I can tell you that I definately do, I crash for up to 12 hours at a time, and very little can wake me up. Even then I spend the rest of the day yawning, like I have been awake all night. I do think that it is worth talking to your doctor in case some of the medications or the other conditions are playing a role, but I can tell you that I don't take anything medications regularly and it happens to me.

This is new information to me and explains do much! Can you give any references about the effect of electrical fields? Thanks for sharing this!

Hopabout said:

Hi Sunflower, I am excited to see you here too. I learn so much from others when they share their experiences.

I have had your list for about 35 years, we are pretty much on twin level. Sadly. I studied over 600 fibro and cfids survivors through the years (it started out as a hobby then became more). I am positive that each one of the “flare’s” that people have are caused by a specific trigger.

Often you hear of various levels of hypoglycemia that go with these illnesses. Some doctors believe we actually have a type of Diabetes that has not known name yet. Sugars that are supposed to be in our brain fail to get where they need to be. When I feel like I am in a coma like sleep… even though not restful, I can usualy trace the type of sugar that may be putting me there. It could even be an orange and may very well be a piece of cheese or milk. Things hide in all sorts of packages.

Additionally, I have learned that we suffer greatly from Positive Electricity. This was my biggest learning event ! Strong upper atmosphere winds, oncoming barometric pressure events -primarily low but high works too- can put our body into what I call a Positive Electric storm. We are nothing but a chain of amino acids… only some toxins, viruses and bacteria got our chain out of order. Like batteries, we have too much + and not enough -. So when those winds even though 40 miles high above the earth go whipping around they bring us influx or positive electricity that sends our brains into a frenzy.

Once they become stressed by this electric mode… our genes take over and the sleep pattern is seriously disturbed.

Often, when we are uncomfortable, feel bad, uneasy or stressed even if we don’t know why. Foods of comfort to that area of the brain are thought of in our subconscious - which if loaded with sugars or carbohydrates, just keep the cycle going.

I vote its winter, The nociceptors in your skin are feeling the micro particles of winter pressure systems and sending messages to your brain. You are sleeping like that probably because when you do sleep you are not getting to the REM sleep we require to rejuvenate. I recently fell asleep on the bus coming home and went 5 km farther than my house before I woke up. Someone asked me why didn’t I just stay on there if I was sleeping so sound? It was a horribly windy day here in Costa Rica and the bus was warm with soft music… just right.

Replacing the positive electricity with negative is a key. Standing under a soft flowing shower for a long period of time will do that. Going to the beach, walking in the waves or more. Waterfalls in the mall, be sure you sit by them. And, though you may already be doing it a lot… try really hard to only eat protein after 6 at night. Nothing with any form of sugars in it at all. About supper time, I drink two full glasses of clear water… to make the electrolites happy.

Spring is on the way and the weather fronts will calm and negative electricity will return. Hugs. /hopabout

Hi Sunflower! I share many of your syndromes but can’t take Savella or Lyrica. However, I too get periods such as you describe. How ever do you manage to work? God bless you for doing that. I personally have never found a trigger for these episodes myself. I don’t eat any sugar or processed foods or gluten, soy or dairy. But barometric pressure and rapid changes in temperature clearly effect me in this way. I actually feel the best during a long, cold, dry winter. Worst in any humidity. I think there is much individual variation among us. Some of the best advice I got early on was to ride these episodes like a wave,

as with most of us here, we all experience this. I would definitely recommend asking your doctor, or pharmacists even, to evaluate your medications to see if any can be adjusted to help with the drowsiness. Although I am fortunate to not have as many health issues, fibro itself has enough to make anyone have questions. I have found that trying to maintain as much of a regular schedule as possible seems to keep these episodes to a minimum. Hope others can be of more assistance.

Welcome to the site!

I have had those episodes since I was 16. It's like being semi-conscious. I was not taking any medicine at the time, so I know its something my body was doing.

kind wishes, Sheila

I've been studying electrical fields and EMF (electromagnetic sensitvity) for years. Hopabout, glad you have too. The World Health Organization (WHO) says this is the most toxic environmental danger of our age, and that the recent solar flares on the sun have been worse than in recorded history, and they cause all sorts of symptoms. Here's one beginner's page about EMF sensitivity. http://www.dirtyelectricity.ca/electrical_hypersensitivity.htm

I have about a dozen other good pages that would save you the months of research that I went through. I found an inexpensive and efficient gadget to stop the EMFs from appliances in my house. There sure were a lot of scams, expansive ones! There are other items that help protect you from EMFs too, I just have not tried them.

PracticalMystic said:

This is new information to me and explains do much! Can you give any references about the effect of electrical fields? Thanks for sharing this!

I have periodic crashes too. I try and take my weekends and get as much rest/sleep as possible to be rested for the following week. When I don't rest on the weekends, I will crash if I don't take a day off during the week.

When I was first diagnosed with fibro, I wasn't able to work at all. It took me two years to build my tolerance back up to 8 hours a day. Fortunately, I'm self employed.

My Saturday and/or Sunday afternoon usually consist of a long nap. It really does help a lot during the next week. Also, I love what I do, so my stress level generally stays fairly low which is also a big help.

Hello Most report a number of medications LET YOU DOCTORS BALANCE THEM check for side effects that effect you.

Find a balance in what you do and how long you do it, MODERATION is the right word.

If we can find a balance in how much time we work>>> or are just active then we can live somewhat of a normal life low It is hard to say to you boss or customer I NEED TO SET DOWN FOR A WHILE! it also hard to tell you family NO i can't help you with that project or do that for you< the HANDY CAP or restrictions FIBROMYALGIA put on our lives is greater if we do not take control.

i live in Rochester MN and have been taken care off BY/ AT MAYO CLINIC the pain management clinic /PROGRAM did me the most help1 I had to Looses my job and health Insurance to make em quite working BECAUSE I WAS DOING TO MUCH swinging from 12 to 15+ hour days to taking days off to recover at times. they helped me wean down on medications and use moderation in my LIFE.

I have found that WE the patient have to work with our self and \family to adjust too how much we can do..

I believe that I had Fybromyalgia for years before I was Treated for it and did not get the program and eduction As soon as i needed it . OR DID IT GET BAD ENOUGH>>> SO THE LEVEL I AM AT IS retired due to fybromyalgia<\

GOOD LUCK WITH BALANCING use Moderation and a good expert

Thank you for sharing - I do have hypoglycemia. I haven’t heard of the other form of Diabetes and was wondering if you could point me to that info? Take care and be well, Sunflower

Hopabout said:

I have had your list for about 35 years, we are pretty much on twin level. Sadly. I studied over 600 fibro and cfids survivors through the years (it started out as a hobby then became more). I am positive that each one of the "flare's" that people have are caused by a specific trigger.

Often you hear of various levels of hypoglycemia that go with these illnesses. Some doctors believe we actually have a type of Diabetes that has not known name yet. Sugars that are supposed to be in our brain fail to get where they need to be. When I feel like I am in a coma like sleep... even though not restful, I can usualy trace the type of sugar that may be putting me there. It could even be an orange and may very well be a piece of cheese or milk. Things hide in all sorts of packages.

Additionally, I have learned that we suffer greatly from Positive Electricity. This was my biggest learning event ! Strong upper atmosphere winds, oncoming barometric pressure events -primarily low but high works too- can put our body into what I call a Positive Electric storm. We are nothing but a chain of amino acids... only some toxins, viruses and bacteria got our chain out of order. Like batteries, we have too much + and not enough -. So when those winds even though 40 miles high above the earth go whipping around they bring us influx or positive electricity that sends our brains into a frenzy.

Once they become stressed by this electric mode... our genes take over and the sleep pattern is seriously disturbed.

Often, when we are uncomfortable, feel bad, uneasy or stressed even if we don't know why. Foods of comfort to that area of the brain are thought of in our subconscious - which if loaded with sugars or carbohydrates, just keep the cycle going.

I vote its winter, The nociceptors in your skin are feeling the micro particles of winter pressure systems and sending messages to your brain. You are sleeping like that probably because when you do sleep you are not getting to the REM sleep we require to rejuvenate. I recently fell asleep on the bus coming home and went 5 km farther than my house before I woke up. Someone asked me why didn't I just stay on there if I was sleeping so sound? It was a horribly windy day here in Costa Rica and the bus was warm with soft music... just right.

Replacing the positive electricity with negative is a key. Standing under a soft flowing shower for a long period of time will do that. Going to the beach, walking in the waves or more. Waterfalls in the mall, be sure you sit by them. And, though you may already be doing it a lot... try really hard to only eat protein after 6 at night. Nothing with any form of sugars in it at all. About supper time, I drink two full glasses of clear water... to make the electrolites happy.

I take so many meds I don’t think I can separate them out. I only listed a few of my medical problems. :frowning:

For being relatively young, I spend a lot of time horizontal. I never used to be that way!

Kathryn said:

Sunflower.

Welcome to Fibro World.

You sound quite a bit like me ... Different ailments, Lumbar problems, CSF, Many meds. (although Lyrica, having tried it twice, does more harm than good for me), and more. I usualy either don't go to sleep at all, or I sleep for an extended period of time. I'm now at the Fibro level where I am more often horizontal than vertical.

But back to you. Are you mixing your meds once in a while before you lay down? If so, you may want to separate taking them by 45 minutes or so. You may also want to take into consideration one aspect of your exhaustion. Pain is an energy eater. The longer you let your pain increse, the more exhausted you'll become.

I'M NOT A DOCTOR! And you should always follow the directions on your meds.

I hope this helped a little.

Kathryn

you described it perfectly - it is just like being semi-conscious!!

Sheila Wall said:

Welcome to the site!

I have had those episodes since I was 16. It’s like being semi-conscious. I was not taking any medicine at the time, so I know its something my body was doing.

kind wishes, Sheila

it’s so hard to find a good doctor. I’m happy to hear you are close to the mayo clinic. I agree that balance is best!

home955 said:

Hello Most report a number of medications LET YOU DOCTORS BALANCE THEM check for side effects that effect you.

Find a balance in what you do and how long you do it, MODERATION is the right word.

If we can find a balance in how much time we work>>> or are just active then we can live somewhat of a normal life low It is hard to say to you boss or customer I NEED TO SET DOWN FOR A WHILE! it also hard to tell you family NO i can’t help you with that project or do that for you< the HANDY CAP or restrictions FIBROMYALGIA put on our lives is greater if we do not take control.

i live in Rochester MN and have been taken care off BY/ AT MAYO CLINIC the pain management clinic /PROGRAM did me the most help1 I had to Looses my job and health Insurance to make em quite working BECAUSE I WAS DOING TO MUCH swinging from 12 to 15+ hour days to taking days off to recover at times. they helped me wean down on medications and use moderation in my LIFE.

I have found that WE the patient have to work with our self and \family to adjust too how much we can do…

I believe that I had Fybromyalgia for years before I was Treated for it and did not get the program and eduction As soon as i needed it . OR DID IT GET BAD ENOUGH>>> SO THE LEVEL I AM AT IS retired due to fybromyalgia<</p>

GOOD LUCK WITH BALANCING use Moderation and a good expert

I don’t know how I work. I worked for four Months 10 hours a day when first diagnosed. That was a big mistake and made me sicker. :(. I also do not eat gluten as I’m allergic to it. If I eat it the pain is much worse.

PracticalMystic said:

Hi Sunflower! I share many of your syndromes but can’t take Savella or Lyrica. However, I too get periods such as you describe. How ever do you manage to work? God bless you for doing that. I personally have never found a trigger for these episodes myself. I don’t eat any sugar or processed foods or gluten, soy or dairy. But barometric pressure and rapid changes in temperature clearly effect me in this way. I actually feel the best during a long, cold, dry winter. Worst in any humidity. I think there is much individual variation among us. Some of the best advice I got early on was to ride these episodes like a wave,

so glad to hear you are able to work now and have a job that you like. Stress management is so important. Take care!

Allen H said:

I have periodic crashes too. I try and take my weekends and get as much rest/sleep as possible to be rested for the following week. When I don’t rest on the weekends, I will crash if I don’t take a day off during the week.

When I was first diagnosed with fibro, I wasn’t able to work at all. It took me two years to build my tolerance back up to 8 hours a day. Fortunately, I’m self employed.

My Saturday and/or Sunday afternoon usually consist of a long nap. It really does help a lot during the next week. Also, I love what I do, so my stress level generally stays fairly low which is also a big help.

I am excited to be here too.I would like to talk to some people besides in these discussions.
I am not on any meds except overthecounter sleep meds.
Please be careful,I just lost a friend who was on heavier meds than you and he got
confused and overdosed.
I feel exhausted every day.I work between two and three hours a day.I come home
and crash but never for that many hours.

I am trying to get into a free clinic because I have no health insurance.
Joann

Well, Sunflower 72 It is nice to see someone else who has this experience.This has been happening to me on a regular weekly basis. I drop my son off at school in the morning and come back to take a short nap. Yeah, the next thing I know it is 5 hours later. One week it happened twice to me and I felt horrible to waste 2 complete days. I can accept one day because I am busy with my son on the weekends and by Monday I am wiped. I am taking different meds. 11pm - 7 am should be enough but my body does not feel it.

I recently read that the oxygen in the air changes with rainy weather and makes people (even the normal ones) sleepier. I would definitely say needing to sleep longer took place when there was rain all week and I was experiencing pain in my joints.

Sunflower72 said:

I don't know how I work. I worked for four Months 10 hours a day when first diagnosed. That was a big mistake and made me sicker. :(. I also do not eat gluten as I'm allergic to it. If I eat it the pain is much worse.
PracticalMystic said:
Hi Sunflower! I share many of your syndromes but can't take Savella or Lyrica. However, I too get periods such as you describe. How ever do you manage to work? God bless you for doing that. I personally have never found a trigger for these episodes myself. I don't eat any sugar or processed foods or gluten, soy or dairy. But barometric pressure and rapid changes in temperature clearly effect me in this way. I actually feel the best during a long, cold, dry winter. Worst in any humidity. I think there is much individual variation among us. Some of the best advice I got early on was to ride these episodes like a wave,

It is not unusual for me to crash for 1-3 days at a time. I am almost narco-well, my mom has woken me up at the store saying I feel asleep talking to her. When I taught, I would fall asleep between my classes and planning time. The students would come in everyday and wake me up. The last year I was sleeping and and in the hospital more than with my students. I had to retire early on teacher disability then eventually SS disability. I still crash, especially if I do anything the prior day.

Sunflower, I hope you find your answers for I really have not have found many. I do, however, have a wonderful team of doctors, family, and man friend who all want the best for me.

SF, if you can get access to mental health, it does wonders for coping skills. Try it.