Special Brain Scan Can Now Prove Fibro!

from http://www.mysquirrelbait.com/brain-scans-detect-fibromyalgia/

Brain scans detect fibromyalgia! Yes!! Finally a physical finding to say that fibromyalgia is a disease that’s not psychosomatic.

The Dr. Oz show that was aired on 3/12/12 (I have discovered this show originally aired on 12/3/11) showed a picture of a brain scan of someone with fibromyalgia. That scan showed an area down the center of the brain and across the top of the frontal cortex in a bright blue. It was explained that this area of the brain had a very low blood supply. It was also explained that this was the area of the brain that was directly connected to pain processing and emotional responses to pain. No wonder the brain doesn’t know when to shut off its pain sensors, it’s not nourished. The scan that detects these changes in brain function is called a photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) scan. It’s nice to know that brain scans detect fibromyalgia. Here is the link to this show http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/fibromyalgia-real-illness-pt-1#cmpid_FB_LINK. It’s in two parts and the second part is listed below this video.

On November 3rd a study was release from Marsielle, France. This study included thirty women, twenty had fibromyalgia and ten were normal. A 100 question fibromyalgia test was given to these women. This test also showed differences in brain function between the women with fibromyalgia and those without. This study was conducted by Dr. Guedj and his colleagues. The twenty women with fibromyalgia were diagnosed according to tests that the American College of Rheumatology uses.

An increased score on this test indicated that low blood flow occurs in the left anterior temporal cluster. This area of the brain sets at about the area of the ear on the left side. This hypoperfusion (low blood flow) showed up the most in the polar and mediobasal cortices.

According to Dr Guedj the results of this test indicated that fibromyalgia is a disorder of the central part of the brain where pain sensations are heightened.

The results of these findings might explain why doctors can’t find any physical reasons for fibromyalgia.

Other tests were given to these women besides the 100 questions. They were given tests that rates pain on a scale, a French version of the McGill Pain Questionnaire, the Questionnaire Doleur de Saint-Antoine scale, and the Tubingen Pain Behavior Scale.

The only results that were compared to the SPECT scans were the results from the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire.

“The relationship between somatosensory hyperperfusion and fibromyalgia clinical severity is reported for, to our knowledge, the first time and reinforces the central sensitization hypothesis,” they wrote.

Low blood flow to the left anterior temporal region, which is part of the limbic system, could lead to an explanation regarding another aspect of fibromyalgia – Brain fog.

There was another study from the University of Michigan Health Services. This study shows that persons with fibromyalgia suffer more pain from a gentle pinch that persons who don’t have it. In fact, the pressure from the pinch has to be twice as much for the persons who don’t have fibromyalgia to feel as much as those who do. The sense of pain shows up in different areas of the brain than the individuals with fibromyalgia.

This study also included fMRI’s that were performed on sixteen patients with fibromyalgia. fMRI is an extremely fast form of MRI. It is reported that the results of these tests give a road map of where the pain is felt in the brain.

Simply put, low blood flow to the central and left temporal portions of the brain could very well be a leading cause for the pain and confusion that we fibromyalgia patients suffer with. Thank goodness it’s not “in our heads” like some physicians still think it is. Then again, it looks like maybe it really IS in our heads. It’s nice to know brain scans detect fibromyalgia.

Please click on the enclosed links for the full reports mentioned in this article.

awesome. i wonder if they can figure out (we know the brain can change) some plan for working/healing these areas of the brain. i have known people who USED to have fibromyalgia, but were no longer in pain/ill. i love hearing those stories... :)

also, this reminds me of the amen clinics. they do SPECT (for anyone who can afford it!) but i also listened to his lectures online on his website- and he seems to be able to figure out your brain type (without the scan) & what supplements could help. for example...i found it intriguing that he said for a certain brain type person- green tea & 5htp would help. but either one ALONE makes it worse for them! i don't know what type i am yet but this was interesting to consider & has inspired me to make another appointment at our local "chronic fatigue" clinic. after 5 years. last time i went i just seemed to be worse off...the stress of the appointment made me sicker and they didn't seem to have anything to offer. but ...dr.s are learning more, thank goodness. :)

Interesting Seattlemama!

This is very good info, Sheila. Sorry, I thought this was the x-ray that you had posted some time ago resurfacing, I did not realize this was new information. Imagine me being confused???!!! It's interesting that I have had 3 MRI's and one CT scan of the head, and nothing abnormal was suggested. Of course the Drs reading the x-rays have to know what they are looking for. If they can look at an x-ray and not see Spinal Stenosis, I guess they can look at an X-ray and not see low blood flow. I would imagine that perhaps a dye is necessary for this?

A disorder of the central part of the brain! UM BOY!! Well, we have known that it affects the brain, so now we know how and which part. The explanation from my Rheum was not this detailed, but it fits right into this. Now we just have to educate the vast medical community! HA!!

Thanks a thousand for this post, this explains so very much!

Hope you are well!

Love and hugs,

SK

BTW, yes, it requires something to see the blood vessels. SPECT and CT scans to detect blood vessels requires the infusion/injection of radioactive isotopes, as it's a nuclear (gamma rays) imaging process.

While this is promising, I'm hoping more studies will be done. One person here and 30 there is not a sufficiently valid sample size. I do think this would be something to write to research centers and scientific funding to pursue further investigation.

Sue,

This is a special type of scan called a SPECT scan. MRI and CT and X-ray wouldn't pick up the blood flow changes. That is pretty sad if someone looked at a spine x-ray and didn't see spinal stenosis!

Best wishes, Sheila

Wow, that's so weird, low blood flow. One wonders WHY? What is keeping the brain from getting the proper flow? Can something be done to improve the blood flow? Does a reduced blood flow create any damage to the affected areas in the brain?

I'm confused because research was just released stating that cytokines in the immune system were different in people with fibro than in healthy people. Does this research work with what you've found - or is it something else entirely that also creates fibro? So many questions, hopefully some eventual answers.

Thanks for sharing this info, Sheila. It's good to know that evidence of fibro really does exist.

Hoo boy, I can just hear my health insurance, "But we don't COVER that!" Funny how they'll waste a fortune on techniques that don't work (ahem, physical therapy) but won't pay for the ones that are relevant and helpful - and would save them money in the long run by not spending money on useless tests/therapies.

I guess different research teams get funds for different things, so we get so many different angles. This is such a complex condition, it's getting to the cause of the fibromyalgia that my Rheumatologist thinks is the key.

He teaches research, wish I had more time to talk to him, he's fascinating. If he's ever published, I'd love to read his works, if I could understand it, better have a good medical dictionary at my side!

Bump to the front of the line, doe see doe.