Very frustrated....again

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while with working and getting rest. I have just recently found out that the spinal injection medication that I received was recalled. I received my injection on July 5th. I contacted the pain magagement clinic (in Marylard) and was told I was on the list of patients to be contacted. I went on to remind them that I had gone back complaining of severe headaches, nausea and dizziness in Sept. I thought it was the medication that I started taking on July 6th (savella). He said no it was my anxiety.

I have since stopped taking it and continue to have headaches, dizziness and pain behind my eyes. I even went to my primary doc complaining of headaches and dizziness.

So I called my primary dr back today explained the situation and ask if they could order bloodwork, and if it could be related to the recall. I was told to contact pain management office which I did, they responded if you run a fever, call us. I am so sick of getting the run around with doctors! Do they really not care? Or is it just me?

I'm not good at putting things into words. Maybe this is where the problem lies. I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks for letting me rant, Tina

Oh dear Tina

What a frightening position you are in to find out that the spinal injection medication you got back in July has been recalled. And when you phone about it you are just given the runaround. I would feel very frustrated if I were in your shoes. Of course your mind is running in a million different directions at once wondering if the headaches, nausea and dizziness are side effects of the recalled medication. I think under the circumstances you are wise to stop the medication. Now what can you do and what can we do as your friends until you hear more? I would say that prayer is our most powerful tool.

Dear Heavenly Father, please calm Tina. She is so frustrated and probably frightened having just found out that the medicine she was given in July has now been recalled.. It seems that nobody she phones is willing or able to give her direct answers as to what to do. Please Lord, give her a sense of your peace and calm knowing that in the eye of this storm there is peace.........peace because you are always with us through every storm of life if we but call on you. Please comfort Tina and hold her close under your protecting wings. Amen and Amen

Please keep us updated Tina as we are most concerned for you and any others affected by this recall.

Gentle hugs

Rachel

Thank you so much Rachel. I appreciate your prayers. I will keep you posted as I learn more. Right now I am just watching the news from the CDC closely.

Thanks again and Hugs, Tina

If you run a fever you're to call them? How about this: if you have a lawyer due to malpractice, he's to call them.

Here's some info on symptoms of it:

Meningitis affects the membranous lining of the brain and spinal cord. Early symptoms of fungal meningitis, such as headache, fever, dizziness, nausea and slurred speech, are subtler than those of bacterial meningitis and can take nearly a month to appear.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/10/05/fungal-meningitis-kno...

I really, REALLY hate to say this but you sound like you meet the criteria. If I were you, I'd call back and say that you have many of the symptoms, are extremely concerned and will be contacting a lawyer if you don't get prompt and proper treatment. WTH does your pain clinic think they're doing fobbing you off like this? If they refuse to see you, go the the emergency room immediately, Tina. I PRAY that you don't have it but they need to be TREATING you if you do, not fobbing you off!

PS: I hope this idiot still isn't insisting that it's anxiety, if he's even been consulted!

Penunia,

I'm just trying to decide what to do. The headaches have not been as severe as they were. They were actually frightening in Aug and Sept. I still have been having severe headaches occasionally. Sat I went to a fall festival and had to come home with severe headache, nausea and was just knocked off my feet from it.

I now have a nagging discomfort behind my eyes and very dizzy. I have only noticed the dizziness for the past few weeks. I have told the pain management office and was told to call them back if I run a fever which I do not have.

I can not stand this dr and had no intention of ever going back to him. Remember when I took the tramadol and ended up vomiting with severe headache. I now don't know if it was the tramadol or not. But I called their office told them what happened and told them to tell him if he said it was anxiety to tell him that was Bull S----!

I have never been sensitive to medications. Now I am starting to wonder if what I thought was reactions to savella and the tramadol are really due to the injection. And yes I am very frustrated. Even without fever I would at least like to have bloodwork done. I would think your white blood cells would be elevated with an infection.

Thanks for responding.

Hugs, Tina

Just read an article about a woman who got fungal m. from the shots. She actually got better for a while but it didn't last. My point is, don't mess around one bit with this. You truly can't afford to. If it turns out it was the tramadol and savella, well, lesson already learned, no biggie at this point But you have bigger fish to fry: is it the fungal m? You have several of the symptoms (dizziness, nausea, headaches) and they came on in the timeframe listed, about one month after the injection.

It's nothing short of negligence of your pain clinic to refuse to do bloodwork, since you were on the list of people to be called regarding the recalled injections. Did you have more than one injection? If so, that raises your chance of getting fungal m., according to the article I read.

I don't care if I'm "overreacting" or not. With an illness this extreme/fatal and with your symptoms and having had the procedure in question, I'd RUN to the nearest ER to get something done. No biggie if you turn out to have something completely else. BIG biggie if you have fungal m.

Many hugs to you!!!

Petunia Girl

Petunia,

Do you mind if I ask where you read the article? I guess I have not sought medical help because one person we know of that was treated at the same clinic is in the local hospital. They did a spinal tap and she got worse. She has now been in hospital for 5 days waiting for results

I really dont trust the doctors at this point. I'm scared.

Hugs, Tina

Gosh, I don't blame you, with a reaction like that to the spinal tap!

Let me see if I can find the article for you. If so, I'll link you to it.

Here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215264/Husbands-agony-wait...

I really hate drawing conclusions from anyone else's medical situation. But on the other hand, this is a nasty, nasty illness and I don't want to see you get hurt either. Ugh, what a mess!

I think I also gave you this link about subtle symptoms and it also states that the contamination may differ from vial to vial and that more than one injection can up the risk of the fungal m:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/10/05/fungal-meningitis-know-the-subtle-symptoms/