Winter is Coming

With colder weather blowing in in the Northern Hemisphere, and many of us have no idea on how to cope. How can we stay warm? How can we keep from letting the pains control our every day lives?

I am moving into a rental home to help myself mentally get better, but the cold weather will affect my physically for sure. I mainly get it in my hips. To prepare for the winter months, I bought a soft bed to sleep in since firm causes me pain. I also bought a new comforter, fluffy as I love it, but warm. No pains so far as I sleep in the comforter, so I think it is helping. Sometimes, I know I cannot take hot showers, or hot showers make the day worst with it being colder outside the bathroom. So I am guessing that warm, intermediate, showers or baths are best. Keep the muscles and joints warm, but not too hot so that when cold air hits, it doesn't put the body in shock.

These are my ideas. Anyone else have suggestions?

Good topic! My biggest issue is the change in pressure and the dampness in the air, makes all my limbs super sore and heavy. I will take bath with Epsom salt, it helps for a while. I bought an electric throw blanket this year and I wrap up in it when sitting at the computer, my legs tend to get cold. I also use imagery, I love to imagine being on a beach or in the mountains or near a river. I use ocean or water sounds in the background, it really helps. I am also experimenting with pleasing scents, right now I am trying the not too powerful but comforting warm scents of the season, like cinnamon. I think it is helping me to relax a little which in turn increase oxygen to the muscles which can help lower pain. Anyway, I will look forward to what others do. Hugs!

It began snowing today, so I am happy I prepared myself for this. However, I need to shop for warmer clothes. Any ideas? I found super warm leggings and a sweater I am wearing today. Looking cute and staying warm haha.
Auburnm said:

Good topic! My biggest issue is the change in pressure and the dampness in the air, makes all my limbs super sore and heavy. I will take bath with Epsom salt, it helps for a while. I bought an electric throw blanket this year and I wrap up in it when sitting at the computer, my legs tend to get cold. I also use imagery, I love to imagine being on a beach or in the mountains or near a river. I use ocean or water sounds in the background, it really helps. I am also experimenting with pleasing scents, right now I am trying the not too powerful but comforting warm scents of the season, like cinnamon. I think it is helping me to relax a little which in turn increase oxygen to the muscles which can help lower pain. Anyway, I will look forward to what others do. Hugs!

I tend to have issues with my hips hurting as well. I got a massage the other day and I could not believe how painful some areas on my body were.

I really try to wear layers because otherwise I get cold and I try to make sure that I do not sit for too long or in one position. UnderArmour works the best for me. It seems to keep my body at a warm even temperature. The ones with the soft lining otherwise there are some that are not soft and irritate my skin. I wear underArmour gloves and a down coat when I go outdoors.

Last year I spent a lot of time at home, in doors, because the cold was too much for me and that really becomes challenging because I want to be out doors.

Hope that this helps!

Uniqlo heat tech clothing is superb! It's lightweight but super warm and very affordable. It started snowing here today as well - I work and attend grad school, so I'm out of the house 4-5 days/week, for up to 10 hrs/day - I always have a pill bottle with some extra meds in it, wear warm layers (especially my core, calves, ears and hands) coz when those parts of me get cold they ache terribly. North Face gloves are the BEST and a chunky knit infinity scarf (which doubles as a cape/hat) is also wise. As for showers/baths, I prefer to take them at night during cold weather months - it helps lull me to sleep (and at least I can control the temp in my house, ha!) I also only wash my hair 4x/week tops, and use dry shampoo if it looks a little greasy. It helps keep my hair healthy & it's less effort for me, which is awesome because showers take a ton out of me.

Suzanne said:

It began snowing today, so I am happy I prepared myself for this. However, I need to shop for warmer clothes. Any ideas? I found super warm leggings and a sweater I am wearing today. Looking cute and staying warm haha.
Auburnm said:

Hi Suzanne,

Have you tried the thermal patches you can buy for different parts of your body, the ones that produce heat? It might be helpful to have a few of those on your hips or low back area where you experience the pain. I have tried those in the past and they have really helped me. It keeps the cold away from those areas and I find relief with the heat when it is really cold. Also, I use the glove warmers you stick in your gloves to keep my hands warm. Those can be found at any grocery market or even the dollar store. My hands really hurt if they are cold and I get rashes from the cold weather chapping my skin. The therma patches aren't very expensive and you can buy ones that last up to 8 hours.

Hope that helps,

Sara

Hi, the North Face Arctic Parka is the only coat I will wear in Winter. I have found nothing keeps the bitter Boston cold out as well as this coat. And remember to dress in layers. It is crucial. I also wear thick hiking socks and down North Face gloves. I commute alot and wait for buses and trains in very cold weather, so I have really tested my Winter weather wear! :slight_smile:

Stay warm, All.

L.

Colorado has bitter, dry cold. The first day of snow i stood up and began to cry...pain all over. But that was an unexpected drop in temperature. In the winter I make a trip to the indoor pool every day. I swim. Then I spend 10 mins in the hot tub to really warm me up before taking a hot shower and layering up my clothes. I have to stay active so my muscles themselves create heat. otherwise the cold creeps in down to my bones. I have a heated blanket that i use if I am sitting more than 15 mins and for when I go to bed so I never get in cold sheets (the cold shock is ouch!). Before bed I use wintergreen essential oil on my joints, frankincense on my spine and wrists, and then lavender on my temples. Morning means valor on my feet, lemon in my water and joy on my wrists. So far, just a minor achyness after that first snow with this regime. Much better compared to last winter when I was in tears most days. Plus the essential oils make it so my meds are on the lowest dose which makes for a happier me.

Wow, I have lots of new clothing ideas, thanks! Compared to a lot of you, I am lucky, it doesn't get incredibly cold where I live but we do get a dusting to a few inches of snow about once a winter . . . which I know probably seems like a vacation to most of you . . . .I am excited to check into some new clothing types.

In northern Indiana, we averaged 2- 12 inches of snow the other day

I almost forgot to suggest what I consider my instant warmer upper- hot cocoa! :wink: I fix a cup for myself I get home from a particularly blustery day out and snuggle under a comfy throw with a favorite book… heavenly warmth.

I have a job that has a drive-up window, so I wear mitts or glittens at the window...keeps the majority of my hands warm with just the fingertips sticking out. And with glittens, you can cover your fingers with the mitten part :)