Working again

Hey everyone,

so I just recently got hired to do makeup again (yay!), and I am SO excited about it. It has been a long time since I worked last (or so it feels), and admittedly I am a little nervous that the fibro will come at me with all it's got once I am working full swing. But I am determined to stick it out and keep working no matter what, I really need this job and I am so thankful that God has blessed me with it.

Is there anyone else out there that is works and has fibro? What are some ways you take care of yourself to prevent really bad flare ups on and off the job?

I am a hair stylist and I can still work full time. I make sure to sit down when I can to rest . I schedule appts with time in between but alot of the time walkins fill that time. When I get home I fix dinner and crash. On my days off. I do what I can and. if I can’t oh well.

I worked full time up till a couple of weeks ago. I am so happy for you remember to pace to pace your self and rest.

Hi Ahava,

This is great news! I know you are excited about this, and I wish you well with it!

Good to hear from you!

Hugs,

SK

Congratulations, Ahava! Your job sounds like a rewarding one, in many ways. I'm glad that you got it.

I think the best way to handle it is to NOT push yourself beyond the limit. DON'T do tons of overtime. Try to rest in between clients as much as you can. Bring a super comfy pillow to work, in case your back or other area bothers you. (K-Mart had small memory foam pillows a month or so ago that fit the bill.) Pace yourself. Wear super comfy shoes. Don't wear tight or binding clothes that might annoy you all day long. If you can take any over the counter stuff for pain, make sure you have some at your workplace.

Maybe you'd also benefit from a massage. Massage schools offer them at a very low rate because the students are learning to do their job. They'd have someone there to make sure they're doing everything properly.

Be prepared to sleep a lot once you get home! And make sure that you have quick to make meals, so you can be sure to eat before you crash out. Something like Carnation instant Breakfast would even do the trick if you're too tired to eat.

'My best to you.

Hugs,

Petunia

Congratulations! It’s so rewarding to be able to do what you love. I wholeheartedly agree with all the great advice given below. I know you’ll going to beautify the world with your talent! hugs ~ Sandi :slight_smile:

I’m so pleased to see your good news. Its nice to be blessed from time to time isn’t it. I love your strength and determination.

I work self employed in many areas of construction. Nuts I know! But that’s my sort of blessing lol. I guess your work may be a little easier especially if it is regular hours each week although I can move it around if I’m really struggling.

Personally, my ability to work depends on my medication, or lack of, my sleep and mental state and whether my jobs are heavy or light.

The most important thing is to rest when I need to, sleep enough and push myself hard when I have to. The balance is so hard.

The housework and shopping fits around after.

Good luck with your new job. Its hard but so worth it.

Thank you all SO much for your words of encouragement and advice. It really means the world to me to talk with people who understand fibro - and who are strong fighters of this disease as well! Each of your stories inspire me to keep fighting and to do my best with my new job. I am so thrilled to be doing what I love again, and my manager already has a lot of confidence and faith in me which makes me feel terrific.

I will definitely be applying all of the wonderful advice I can at work! And if anyone is having a rough day on the job or just needs to vent, please feel free to do it here or maybe we can start a new discussion for it. I think its important to lift each other up as much as possible, and after a bad day I think you need encouragement the most.

Jo, I am amazed at your resolve! I can't imagine working construction (though I would love certain things about it still being somewhat of a tomboy haha), but I am inspired by your resolve and strength. Go get em' girl!

Hi Ahava,

First, CONGRATULATIONS!! It sounds like this is something you love and I am excited for you.

Yes, I would be very nervous as well. I do work, but I work from home so I don't actually have to present myself to anyone and if I have to cancel a meeting I just say something like 'I have a client emergency' or something like that. When I was interviewing for a go-to job last year I had so much anxiety so I totally understand.

Good luck to you! And the best of blessings.

I don't know how to prevent flare-ups, but I am not shy about medicating them.

Sleep is paramount, but sometimes that is impossible.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Hugs,

TTT

Congratulations!!! I sold makeup (Mary Kay) for a couple of years with fibro, and it wasn't the fibro that made me stop--I was just lousy at selling makeup! lol! I also ran a full-time business selling books and vhs tapes at the same time--did that for over 8 years. I now work parttime maintaining websites for MK Directors. Although I have my bad days, it never stopped me. In fact, I seemed to have more energy the more I worked!

Hot baths were the best thing in the world for flares--long relaxing ones. Giving myself time every day to just relax has made such a difference in my fibro symptoms.

Good luck with your job!!!

Such good advice there Pet as always. You’re a God send to this site. Totally agree here.

The easier you can make work for yourself the better. Its flipping hard getting on with life with fibro as it is. If you can work then you’ve got to look after yourself so carefully.

Ah bless you Ahava! Love the attitude! I always had to be different haha. I love boys toys like fast cars too. It makes me feel normal for a while. Luckily I met Simon last year and from January I have been training him in carpentry and tiling etc. He learned bricklaying when he was younger and does all the heavy concrete work too.

I’ve never been religious but I prayed and prayed for a perfect man who would be there for me and it couldn’t believe how lucky I got!

Still life is by no means easy with fibro is it and we have to use all our strength and determination every day.

I think you are going to be just perfect for your new job with an attitude like yours. Keep us posted. We need your inspiration!

Thank you so much for the advice, I have been working so many hours lately and all of the tips I have been given have definitely helped! Especially not wearing tight clothes, I have found this to be a God send because I move around so much all day and comfort is key. Also just taking deep breaths between clients and reminding myself "calm down, don't stress", has been helping. I have found stress to be the nastiest trigger for my fibro (can anyone relate?).

I am still so thankful for my job though, it is a blast to be working this customers and clients again and to be earning money doing something I genuinely love!

Thank you so much to everyone on here who has been so supportive of me, and given me so many amazing tips. You all are AWESOME and I pray that you are all blessed greatly!

Yes stress is the worst trigger for fibro to flare up. I’ll definitely back you there.

Good point on the tight clothes too. Belts and bra’s are the worst for me.

If you can get a mini break every hour is good too. And I can’t sit down for more than 25 mins or I am drifting off too. Also a snack and drink here and there to keep up the energy especially if the work is physical.

I love a bath too if I can. Heat therapy is the cheapest way for pain (and stress) at the end of the day. Showers help too for heat and drain away stress or any negative energy in the body and mind.

I’m so pleased you’re getting into your work and loving it. We’re all proud of you!!