Burning sensations

Hi,

I don't have the 'freezing' YET but I do have bone pains in my feet. Also, spasms in my Left lower leg..but taking the magnesium has helped a bit with that issue.

About the accupuncture::I've had that done for a pinched sciatica nerve quite some time ago. It was like a miracle--4 treatments and no more sciatica pain. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for the treatments as the issue was the result of a car accident. Thus, the car insurance company paid for it.

I truly did NOT feel the needles being inserted...actually I fell asleep whilst having the treatments.

I sure hope you get an accupuncturist who is as skilled as mine was. Yes please...let me know if it helps with the burning etc...

Geranium

Hi Geranium!

Wow! You are the only other person I have met who reacted to Spiriva! I got the same thing about helping mild copd by exercising. (With fibro? Hah!) The most exercise I do is casually cycling on my exercise bike with the resistance turned as low as possible. If I cycle to where I am breathing deeply and using my diaphragm, I figure that is the point - not letting the diaphragm stiffen.

Living in So Calif smog country, I have also been told to stay indoors when the smog or allergies are high. For me, that's one thing or the other year round. That isolation is the hardest part for me. Bright sunny days mean smog here, so that's hard. (I grew up out east, where it meant outdoor play!)

Fibro limits my energy, smog limits my air, so my day includes indoor activities and naps (didn't I outgrow them when I was little???). I love to read! I have a kindle and read as many free books as possible. They are like mini-vacations.

I also have been attending a church that is very close to home so that I don't have to travel outdoors too long. It's nice to spend an hour or two with people who understand that my participation has to be intermittent. I get to see faces and discuss all kinds of things. It keeps me from always thinking about fibro.

I think you show wisdom in separating the effects of fatigue & isolation vs. pain. We talk about the pain, but the fatigue is also a whopper. We need to be aware of which is dominant at any point of our life.

I am so glad for my fibro friends on this board, and also for the wisdom you share!

Hugs,

Scribelle

Hi SK!

My gabapentin is related to Lyrica and definitely helps. I also use baclofen to release muscle spasms and clonazepam to settle down an irritated nerve extending from my neck to my hand. I have similar situations in my neck and lower back.

You are right on target about the neurological basis - and the wisdom of checking with doctors & pharmacists about interactions.

Well said!

Hugs,

Scribelle

Hi Scribelle-

Do you find the Gabapentin helps you?

Also, you have many similar symptoms as I do, which are kind of scary sometimes,

but was wondering where do you get muscle spasms?

And what symptoms does the neck to hand nerve problem cause you to have?

I am having many problems with my left hand and everything from the neck to the hand also.

Thanks! Hope you are having a good day.

Michael

Hi Michael!

I squashed the disks in my cervical vertebrae when a computer chair slid back just as I was going to sit down. It happened again when we moved everything to carpet, only this time I squashed the lumbar vetebrae. When they did an MRI, they discovered that my thoracic vertebra were rotated (scoliosis).

There are a number of muscles which go vertically on either side of the spine. Mine are constantly in muscle fibrilliation because they are trying to hold the spine straight, so then they try to spasm. Baclofen has helped tremendously.

As far as the neck to hand pain, there is a deep pain rather than a surface or muscular one. What happens with me is that my neck hurts, then the pain radiates down my arm and the tendon in my right hand pulls my hand partially closed. (We call it "The Claw") When I am off the clonazepam, the pain & weakness & "clawed" hand return. When I am on the med, I feel great! Obviously the medication is helping.

What happens is that the muscles tighten due to the stimulation of the nerve. The nerve can't slide within its sheath, so it becomes painful. (This explanation was given to me by a physical therapist in a specialized neuro disorders hospital.)

It sounds like it's time to see a neurologist and ask questions. They will probably do some tests. Don't let it scare you - it's great when we get answers to what's going on.

My rheumatologist prescribes gabapentin, my primary care physician maintains the baclofen and clonazepam as they were prescribed by my original neurologists. I have seen two neurologists and I am about to return to neurologist care with a 3rd neuro (insurance changes! aargh!). The neurologist needs to be the one monitoring the clonazepam because it is a controlled substance.

A controlled substance is simply a prescription that needs to be prescribed by a doctor each time you need it filled. They do this to prevent street drug use. No worries. I visit the doc, get my Rx, and take it to the pharmacy. I never have a problem with this.

Don't let the symptoms scare you. They are simply telling you something needs attention.

We sound rather similar as far as the neck to hand pain. Just do what tests they need so they can measure the degree of impact. It helps them know how much and what type of medication you might need. If they send you for physical therapy, it's knowledge you can keep for when you need it. Going to physical therapy taught me how to gently stretch the muscle without hurting anything.

Does this help? My situation is multiple, and here's the one thing I tell everyone now: hold onto the arms of your computer chair if it has wheels! :)

I am having a wonderful day, filled with joy, accomplishment and two dogs watching me type on the computer.

I hope you are also having a good day.

Don't let this stuff scare you, just listen to your body and see a neurologist. Squashed disks in the neck are fairly common, but dramatic. The good news is that there are meds which can prevent surgeries, etc. I have had clear, good results with treating this issue. It's separate from fibro, and more easily diagnosed./treated.

It's time to call a neurologist to tame that irritated nerve, but it's a one-symptom situation compared to the other stuff we all deal with daily.

We're tough - we're warriors who slay fibro daily!

Hugs,

Scribelle

I also have the burning in my palms, forearms, calves, and feet.palms burn is from holding or grabbing something… feet and called are from walking. I get serious pain… the burning its unbearable… in my right thigh I get spasms, severe burning to the point that I lose feeling. that happens anytime. I take cymbalta, and 3200mg of gabapentin… and tramadol. as. much as needed.

Hi poseysmom-with the exception of today (a rare day off from pain), I thought you were talking about my pain. Even though Fibro has countless bizarre and different symptoms, there are many similar symptoms that a lot of us have, like the ones you mention. How much Tramadol do you take regularly or when you have your worst flares? Do you find it reliable?
Thanks and be well. Michael

Hi Scribelle- Thank you so much for your response. I have suspected that my discs are a separate problem from my many years of Fibro. An MRI a month ago revealed 4 herniated discs in my cervical spine, 2 of them serious, 1 sitting on a nerve. Also some stenosis. I already knew about 4 lumbar discs that are not in good shape. But the “spine doctor” won’t too impressed (nor was my pcp). He said do light exercises and come back June 17th. Maybe a bit too conservative. My Fibro consultant said he was surprised to see me have so much strength in my arms after he saw the MRI. Anyway the pain and freezing of my fingers has intensified and I’m sure of the connection to all my bad cervical discs. The Fibro consultant has encouraged me to see a neurologist, as you have wisely pointed out. My appt is June 19th. Looking forward. We are tough!!!
Hugs to you ! Michael

All the time. I haven't found any relief thus far. I feel for you Geranium. Hang in there.