Heat intolerance

Hi All!!

Is anyone noticing that the hot weather is making you feel worse? I'm noticing that I'm getting dehydrated faster. I can't tolerate the heat, I get very dizzy if I'm outside too long. I've NEVER sweat so much in my life. I have trouble breathing, etc.. I hate this feeling. And my body hurts so much!! I don't want to sit in the house all day!

Also, has anyone tried magnet therapy. A friend of mine suggested it. She says she knows people it's helped. What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Hi CarolAnn,

I think we all struggle with this high heat and humidity, as for me, winter is by far the worst, but then I have autoimmune arthritis. I read your profile and wanted you to know that one of my biggest challenges is to stand up straight when getting out of bed, or getting out of the car after even a short ride. Sounds like we have this in common.

I am not a Dr and not trying to do a diagnosis here, but some of us go beyond Fibro, and it takes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondylitis forever to get that diagnosis too. I have Psoriatic Arthritis, the Spondylitis type, meaning it affects the spine, most of us suffer from pain and stiffness of the SI joints. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint

Just wondering if any of this was familiar to you? Regardless, I hope that you are being well taken care of, as for magnet therapy, well, I don't know. Just wanted you to know that before I was diagnosed, even with Fibro, I tried just about everything, and ended up spending a lot of money that I just should have hung onto for a Rheumatologist.

There are many others who either cannot take AMA meds, or prefer to go the natural way, surely they will respond and tell you what they think. I don't know about magnets.

Wishing you well,

SK

Hello! I have a friend who swears by magnet therapy but I tend to think its a hoax. She was able to put her fibro n remission, so please don’t take my comment the wrong way!!!

As far as the weather, I find it miserable! Just want to hide indoors.

I live in Florida so I have hot weather year round. If I go outside on a 80 or higher degree day, as soon as I get out there, I get dizzy, instantly start sweating, and I feel like everything on my body got ten times heavier. It is awful. Makes me just want to stay inside forever. I don't dislike hot weather, and I've been here for pretty much my whole life, so I've gotten use to the heat, but ever since all my fibro symptoms have shown up and gotten worse, it is difficult to get outside. The dizziness is the biggest issue for me in hot weather.

Hi CarolAnn. I used to live in Florida and in the last 3 years, I had the same reaction to the heat. Even my eyeballs hurt from the sun. It's a large part of why I left. It seemed to get worse the year of all of the hurricanes, back in 05. I wonder if global warming is making it worse for us? Before that I was able to tolerate Florida's heat...

I don't know anything about magnetic therapy. If it's cheap it might be worth doing but I wouldn't pour a whole lot of money into it, if it were me. If you do it, please let us know how it works for you.

Hi CarolAnn~~

I don't know anything about Magnet Therapy, but interested to hear any results!

The heat has always been a problem for me, even in the winter. It's gotten worse the past 8 years or so, and now I can't tolerate it--at all. I don't believe that either heat or cold affect my symptoms either way, surprisingly, even living in the Northeast. I can only take cool showers, otherwise I feel like i'll pass out -- the A/C runs year round (my husband hates that!) and the furnace never gets turned above 62 in the winter. I sweat buckets - my husband laughs at me because whenever I go somewhere, I have a washcloth in my purse. He calls it my "sweat towel" (such a twit) -- forget makeup, doing my hair---it's impossible.

Funny thing is, when I visit Florida, the heat is horrible, but I feel better. I've always thought it's the change in elevation (2000 ft). Who knows!

I have a slight memory of being cold at some point .... those days are long gone!

Hi CarolAnn,

Cold bothers me more than heat, BUT it is 113 here in Arizona right now and I dare not go outside for very long. I noticed that since I have fibro, I'm not able to be out in the sun like I used to. I get headache and feel dizzy sometimes just walking from parking lot to store.

I haven't tried magnet therapy. The only way you'll know is if you try something yourself.

Hi CarolAnn,

How are you doing? Hopefully the heat has subsided a bit and given you some relief. I always keep Gatorade here for the grandkids, and have started drinking it myself. A nice change from water, and it helps you replenish all those important minerals that we loose in the heat!

Hope you are feeling better!

Hugs,

SK

I'm ok. I am just getting very discouraged. Life is never going to be the same. It's sad when good days are still days when I'm in pain. Just not terrible pain like other days. I'm just trying to figure out how I can keep getting up everyday to go to work. It's such a struggle. I really do feel alone.

I know. I'm sorry. It's so hard when you're forever in pain and have to celebrate the "lesser" pain days as your good days.

What kind of work are you doing? And are you working f-t or p-t? Have you considered quitting and filing for disability, if you are able to? If not, can you take days off or work fewer hours per week?

It's a struggle, it is. But eventually most of us do learn how to manage to live with it and to still have quality in our lives...although it's challenging during the bad days.

And you're not alone, CarolAnne. Come here and you'll always find people who understand what you're going thru and who'll try to help you whenever we can. We've been thru all of the emotions, good and bad.

I sure wish I could help you more. Just hang in there. Life will still have meaning, ust a different kind after fibro.

Hugs,

Petunia

Thank you Petunia. It is comforting to find people who understand.

I work full time as a veterinary tech. I am on my feet all day-I wrestle with animals all day. I can barely move my fingers some days and I have to draw blood on the animals. It's so frustrating. I called in sick the other day because I knew I wouldn't be able to stand very long. But that left them short and they weren't too happy about it. There's never time to sit down. I know this is not the job for me anymore but I've been doing this for 20 years. I don't know what else to do! I've tried to tell them that at this point I'd be better off doing reception work. But they are pretty much saying if I can't do the job-find another one. They really aren't willing to help. This is all very stressful. I can't work partime because I have my house to pay for. Again, this is very stressful!

Thanks again, Carol